1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Kick Butt GMRS radio's

Discussion in 'MURS / FRS / GMRS' started by 9C1Driver, Dec 6, 2011.

1. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Well-Known Member

Midland GXT785VP3 Two Way Radios

Several of us just bought several sets of these when Sparky had them on close out for 20 bucks. WOW, they easily have 3-5x the range of my old Uniden 6 mile radio's. Very cool.
  2. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Supporting Member

I need to get an GMRS station and mobile running. We have nice local repeater nearby that has great coverage. It's pretty busy also.
  3. IMD262

IMD262 Well-Known Member

What are the "20 extra channels" ?
  4. towerdog

towerdog one-niner-seven

we have similar radios at work.....the extra channels are just repeats of the regular 22 channels with permanently set "privacy codes".

I am skeptical of the claim of 5watts output, you ought to look up the FCC ID on the back of it and look up their paperwork. The ones we got are the same chassis as the GXT785 but only put out 1.5w. I am curious what these will actually do.

I personally do not care for them, they are flimsy, especially the shell, of thin, brittle plastic. The solder joint of antenna on these breaks real easy too, and a similar issue is the plastic shell of the antenna (hard non flexible plastic), just falls off. Also next to impossible to tape to a shoulder strap because of where the buttons are located, but I doubt any manufacture thinks of this, just some happen to put the buttons where you can tape it better.

On a good note, their audio is good as motorola, the NiMH battery packs are sufficient, i think 1100mAh compared to 300 or whatever the motorolas are, and they take a common microphone/speaker plug like most professional and ham radios.

I like the motorolas better, about 1.25w, one less battery than the midlands, smaller in size, hold up alot better, will display the "privacy code" someone else is using when its scanning the channels, and just feels good in the hand.

And I use these more than anyone, I also talked to another crew 35 miles away from top of a tower up on a mountain, so it is theoretically possible to get advert range. Typically on the ground level more like 2 miles, much less in rugged terrain, sometimes less than 1/4 mile.

It is what it is, a cheap blister pack radio, but for $20 you got a steal on them.
  5. x2502

x2502 Member

I got a pair of the GXT795vp4 radios last month. It's true that they're cheap and probably fragile, too. But the clarity and range on these little things is surprising. To me, anyway. In a rural area, I was able to talk clearly at a little over 3 miles. In town, they worked well up to a distance of a little more than one mile.
  6. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

All of these GMRS hand held radios are VHF and 'line-of-sight'. They all have a typical rubber-duck antenna which will further limit their range. They are subject to the same limitations of any HT of the same power output, and that's very limited by the nature of them. The 'possible' range is almost never going to be the 'typical' range. If you consistently get anything near a mile in any sort of built up area, you are doing very good. I certainly wouldn't expect that though, and expecting to get anything like the typical quoted range is really believing in the tooth fairy.
    If this sort of radio suits your purpose, then great.
    - 'Doc
  7. IMD262

IMD262 Well-Known Member

GMRS/FRS is on UHF.
  8. W5LZ

... give me a minute or two and I'll think of a good excuse for that typo...
    - 'Doc
  9. mackmobile43

mackmobile43 Jock Supporter

Did not take your Geritol?
  10. W5LZ

Geratol? Probably not enough coffee. Or Famous Grouse...
    - 'Doc

(It ain't easy being this perfect! You gotta make a mistake every now and then to maintain a bad reputation. Howz that one?)
  11. GLR

GLR Keeping It Good Natured

So I assume you have a GMRS license?
  12. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Doesn't everybody.