• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL203 Amp

That's my point. OP is running a KL 203 amp, they do 100-120 depending on setup. he should be able to beat what I did with my Stryker.

The PC 122 does 5 watts average.

That's my point. OP is running a KL 203 amp, they do 100-120 depending on setup. he should be able to beat what I did with my Stryker.

The PC 122 does 5 watts average.

Not to be argumentative, but he said that, from where he was, he was able to make contact with a guy at a truckstop, that he knew to be about 10 or 11 miles away. He also mentioned that the response that he got from the guy was weak, but that the guy returned a good report on the performance of the 980/203.

10-11 miles was not claimed to be max range, it was just verified that the range was AT LEAST 10 miles. Max range was not recorded here, and may still be unknown.

We also don't know what the other guy was running, or how well HIS system was set up.

And, your SN implies that you are in the same line of work that I'm in (trucker :cool: ), so you know that, regardless of radio, antenna system, quality of install, etc., the max range is going to vary with the terrain, whether or not your in a city, etc.

Reactions: 9C1Driver
10 miles with a 980SSB driving a KL203? You're doing something wrong. I can reach out at least that far on AM with a barefoot PC 122 in a Freightliner Cascadia. I did 26 miles with a barefoot Stryker 955, same truck.

With over 100 watts, if I wasn't reaching out 30+, I'd be pretty ticked off.

Contacts like that are all about the conditions and terrain. You can maximize your talking distance by sitting in an open area on high ground. Just driving around in a mobile you will not talk 10 miles mobile to mobile consistently with just a PC122.

Reactions: Sarasota Slim
Yeah, good points. I've had an extremely rough couple of weeks that have me more than just a little out of it. My apologies, carry on.

10 miles with a 980SSB driving a KL203? You're doing something wrong. I can reach out at least that far on AM with a barefoot PC 122 in a Freightliner Cascadia. I did 26 miles with a barefoot Stryker 955, same truck.

With over 100 watts, if I wasn't reaching out 30+, I'd be pretty ticked off.
Have you thought about building an 81 inch antenna like this from scratch for your Cascadia?
full-2_zps9z1pkuhh.jpeg

For local contacts how far you get out has more to do with antenna height and lay of the land than anything your radio and/or amp is doing.
Receiver sensitivity on the receiving end of the conversation makes a drastic difference in how far apart those stations can get from each other and still maintain communication. It seems nobody likes to address this topic.

. My Tacoma is not designed to hold or mount a radio anywhere. Smaller is better. The 655 is huge compared to the 447 or the 980. I guess I need a bigger truck. It never ends.....(n)

Oh come on now...

I have an ICOM IC-718 and a IC-208H in my '98 Nissan Frontier XE (Single Cab, 5 speed Manual).... and sometimes I run a Texas Star DX-500V in there.....

you can get any radio in there, if you are committed... :sneaky:

Last edited:
Receiver sensitivity on the receiving end of the conversation makes a drastic difference in how far apart those stations can get from each other and still maintain communication. It seems nobody likes to address this topic.

Receive sensitivity hasn't been an issue for years. I've tested countless CBs on Marconi test gear including models that have a reputation of being deaf and every single one of them has been able to reproduce a10dB SINAD at -120dBm. -120dBm is the level used for testing receivers on CB because it is the noise floor for 11m of anywhere on planet earth due to the fact that is what the galactic noise floor is for 11m.

This is why I always find it incredulous that people send off their rigs for tweaking. The rig isn't the problem, their crappy antenna installation is.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.