1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

KX3 carry case recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Moleculo, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

Here's a case that Wayne from Elecraft purchased and highly recommends to protect your KX3 while carrying or transporting it: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=140740273268

Because it also has a belt loop, you could even operate the radio while walking with a whip antenna attached! I'm going to order one today and post some pics of how well the radio fits and works with this case

2. Moleculo

I ordered this Strobe Stuff Think Tank case based on Wayne's recommendation and because it fit what I was looking for. I wanted a case with good protection that I could toss in my backpack that would also fit the mic, key, and possibly even a length of wire.

Here is a good pic of the KX3, mic, and key partially stuffed in the case:

[​IMG]

And here is one with it zipped up, ready to go:

[​IMG]

The bottom of the case contains a rain cover. If you're going to carry the radio in the case exposed, this rain cover is a nice touch. However, if you are going to transport the rig in your car, backpack, or just don't need the extra moisture protection, this compartment is large enough to store quite a bit of small gauge wire:

[​IMG]

If you want to carry the radio in the case on your belt or other strap, the back of the case has a velcro adustable belt loop:

[​IMG]

All things considered, the $45 I spent on this case for the KX3 was well worth it. If you tried to design the perfect soft case for the rig, this is what you would come up with.

3. vagrant

vagrant Member

I like that rain cover.

4. KF6IRK

KF6IRK Kapt. Irk

Hey Tim, I Just ordered a KX3 kit and I'll be wanting a good 'bag' for it.

Is this the same one you got? (Think Tank Skin 75 Pop Down V2.0 Belt Pouch for 70-200 f/2.8 Lens (TT044) Think Tank Skin 75 Pop Down V2.0 Belt Pouch 044

Attached Files:

5. Moleculo

That case looks larger than the one I bought, but I don't see any reason why it won't work fine. The case I bought is called the, "Think Tank", "Strobe Stuff". Here is a current listing on ebay:

Think Tank Strobe Stuff Belt Pouch 223 | eBay

6. KF6IRK

KF6IRK Kapt. Irk

Yeah, I can see it's a different bag now. The TTSST (223) looks like it has multiple compartments - much better (and that's what I just ordered) :)

Thanks ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
: elecraft kx3