• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Larry's CB Shop - McKinney, TX

So, when is your shopping expedition then??

LOL. Thanks, binrat.
Larry's is a few hours from here but I am going to try and make it someday. No telling what I'll walk out with.
I did notice a nice looking Madison and what appears to be a Cobra 139 or 142 on a bottom shelf in one of the photos. They may be long gone though. Those pics could be pretty old. Besides, I lost so much money purchasing ham stuff, changing my mind and selling it cheap that I am not in a buying mode right now. A more likely sceniaro is that some guy will walk in there and buy a truckload of goodies using a credit card he acquired with my stolen Equifax info he got a good deal on in in a dark alley somewhere. o_O

Last edited:
Had a reminder about this store in a post on the CB Radio subforum at Truckers Report.

Looked up Larry’s CB online.

1816 Waddill
McKinney, TX

East of 75 off 380. Street behind and located behind WinCo Foods (Winn-Dixie?). South side.

SE quadrant of 75 & 380

Don’t see big truck parking.

“Uh, yeah, boss, I forgot to pick up a prescription. So they called it in here. I dropped the trailer farther down the road at a fuel stop and bobtailed back here. Shouldn’t take long”

(Sounds good, Right?)

US-380 is how one departs westbound IH30 from Arkansas to continue straight west across the far north side of Dallas-Fort Worth.

Just ran it W-E two weeks ago from the Peterbilt plant. Achingly slow. Never running THAT again (grumble, rouse)

Ha!

Last edited:
The only other shop I recall from DFW (and haven’t been to it either, but have heard a few radios in operation)

Kilgore’s Electronics
5136 Mansfield Highway
Fort Worth, TX (Forest Hills)

Hey, JJD, remember Bonnie & Clyde up on Harry Hines in north Dallas way back when? 1976 or thereabouts. Same area where Richard Rawlings has had his shops & restaurant.

Wow, now there’s a scary thought. The Gas Monkey selling CB’s. (Channel 5 CB Shop in West Memphis ain’t got nothing on that). It’d be XERF all over again.

“The Red Panties Special of the Week. Nitro Knobs on every order”.

Coast to Coast.

“Deluxe face plate with the Gas Monkey hisself. Flashing eyes when the custom Roger Beep activates!!”

“The Parking Lot Super Trucker Combination Forty Ounce & Microphone Holder. Make your ten hour reset count!!”

Ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: jessejamesdallas
Out of tejas but big cabin cb shop at the big cabin truckstop oklahoma of I44 and 69 in the 80s open 22 hours .3 techs on day shift 2 on second shift.lots of test equipment.i bought a robyn mobil new set up many many extra bands.i liked that radio,so did a person in chicago.they had a huge supply of radio equipment also

Reactions: Slowmover
Kilgore is still in business. Some of the other "cb techs" in town send repairs to him. He's retired and does it to stay busy so his prices are fair. He does what the customer asks. If they want it tuned to factory spec and clean or blown out and overmodulated for the watt meter watchers.

08F6A897-80F5-4CBE-96D2-A7EA2DFB0B4B.jpeg

Here’s Kilgore’s. Met the man. Lots of old interesting stuff around. Back room said to have lots more.

8000 part numbers. Many parts for old radios. I’ll see if I can’t find the Johnson my father had now I know where to take it. Gave a nice, low key impression.

One customer said he’d been coming forty years.

Hours are (somewhat rough)

M-F 0800-1600
Sat 0800-1200

Look for the BBQ sign on left after exiting iH820 and turning towards downtown. He’s in next bldg. Not really big truck parking. Bobtail maybe.

Best item was a picture of a 1971 Oldsmobile hearse. A complete folding tower ahead and behind. “The Undertaker”. Like a mobile crane. Would have needed oversize permit and pilot cars.

Not really big truck parking. Bobtail maybe.

I was pulling a boat and parked out back. I think enough room for a semi and trailer. Not to mention I got to come and go through the back door and check out the piles of tubes and old radios. He seemed like a good guy once he got warmed up and changed gears from whatever project he was focusing on when I interrupted.

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
By the photos it Looks like a well stocked radio shop , and if he is a decent guy even better as you won’t get undercharged or extra work on radio that’s not needed .

I have personally taken radios to Mike that he checked out and said... there's nothing wrong with it. No charge. I usually paid him for his time, and thanked him. I've also seen him tell guys they don't need this or that, because it just ruins your rig. He does good tune-ups and aligns them well, too.

Brett

I have personally taken radios to Mike that he checked out and said... there's nothing wrong with it. No charge. I usually paid him for his time, and thanked him. I've also seen him tell guys they don't need this or that, because it just ruins your rig. He does good tune-ups and aligns them well, too.

Brett
There is a guy in Houston like that. Mr. Charlie, owns Charlie's Airwaves. The store front looks similar to the picture of Kilgores, and the description is identical. Lots of interesting stuff......and THERE is more in the back. Been there. Can't walk out without lightening my pocket. Old school guy, took my Stryker 497 in to be benched. Told me nothing was wrong with it, no charge.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated