• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Larsen 27 MHz NMO Stinger diameter ???

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I was wondering if anyone knows if a Wilson 1000/5000 stinger is the same diamet as the stock Larsen stinger. I have 3 Wilson stingers at the QTH. Just trying to save some cash by only buying the Larsen coil base.

And what's up with Larsen magnet mount bases only having 12' of coax?

Tried a magnet mount and a trunk lip mount. No matter what I did, I could not get SWR below 1.7.

Slapped my old K40 trunk mount back on for now.

I just got a Midland trunk lip NMO antenna, looks identical to a Laird (similar to larsen) and same specs too. In a few minutes I plan to get up, take the NMO connector apart from the trunk lip base and drill a hole in the roof of my VW because trunk lip mounts are almost useless below 100mhz and then you need some good electrical bonding of the trunk to the body.

The instructions for mine call for cutting the whip for different frequencies and a cutting chart is supplied. If SWR is lower on channel 1 than 40, try cutting 1/2" off and check again.

The Larsen NMO27 antenna was strictly designed for commercial use in the 27 – 30MHz range. It was never designed for amateur radio use, or for long distance ground wave or DX applications. It was designed to provide a good, robust antenna for commercial mobile applications such as logging and mining operations. The 49” whip is perfect for trucks that can’t handle longer whips, and it provides a robust compromise. The Larsen NMO27 is a commercial low-band antenna, and as such was designed to be robust and easily field replaceable. It is a compromise. It was designed to allow trucks to communicate with a remote base within ground wave range. It is entirely unsuitable for amateur (or CB) use.

Here is what we use instead – the Larsen NMO34 system. The Larsen NMO34 system uses the Larsen NMO34 coil, a 64” whip and a spring to provide a high efficiency and high performance antenna that compares favourably to the Wilson 1000 series. The total length of the antenna is approximately 70”. It works exceedingly well, and with over 15 users locally in the Ottawa area, we have rave reports and excellent results.

The antenna is NOT normally commercially available, but must be custom ordered . You will need the following parts: the NMO34 coil (NMO34B) the 64” whip (W-640B) and the spring (SPRINGB). This can be ordered from any Larsen dealer.

Finally, it is compatible with all Larsen NMO mounts, so you can swap it out with any Larsen NMO-type VHF antenna.

Attachments

• New 10M antennas that fit NMO mounts.pdf
    51.3 KB · Views: 574
Tried a magnet mount and a trunk lip mount. No matter what I did, I could not get SWR below 1.7.

Slapped my old K40 trunk mount back on for now.

most of the new wilsons for the past 5 years or so have to be cut 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch to get a 1.1 swr . the usally tune very low but below 27mhz stock , until you cut the whip down a few . ;)

The Larsen NMO27 antenna was strictly designed for commercial use in the 27 – 30MHz range. It was never designed for amateur radio use, or for long distance ground wave or DX applications. It was designed to provide a good, robust antenna for commercial mobile applications such as logging and mining operations. The 49” whip is perfect for trucks that can’t handle longer whips, and it provides a robust compromise. The Larsen NMO27 is a commercial low-band antenna, and as such was designed to be robust and easily field replaceable. It is a compromise. It was designed to allow trucks to communicate with a remote base within ground wave range. It is entirely unsuitable for amateur (or CB) use.

Here is what we use instead – the Larsen NMO34 system. The Larsen NMO34 system uses the Larsen NMO34 coil, a 64” whip and a spring to provide a high efficiency and high performance antenna that compares favourably to the Wilson 1000 series. The total length of the antenna is approximately 70”. It works exceedingly well, and with over 15 users locally in the Ottawa area, we have rave reports and excellent results.

The antenna is NOT normally commercially available, but must be custom ordered . You will need the following parts: the NMO34 coil (NMO34B) the 64” whip (W-640B) and the spring (SPRINGB). This can be ordered from any Larsen dealer.

Finally, it is compatible with all Larsen NMO mounts, so you can swap it out with any Larsen NMO-type VHF antenna.

I ordered both coils (NMO30, NMO34 and 2 whips. Looking forward to see how they perform. Don't feel like messing with the newer Wilson's.

Happy so far. This is the NMO30 coil with 64" whip and spring. Very good bandwidth. Solid construction and better seal than a Wilson roof mount. Still need to prune a little bit. The useable bandwidth seems on par against my Wilson. It may only handle 200 watts, but is fine for my uses.

I had a larsen antenna mounted on my 76 jeep Cherokee and I did great on skip talk to Australia Florida Texas Alaska Hawaii with no amp I thought it did quite well on skip/dx

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.