• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LesComm Radios

I almost spit coffee all over my laptop when I saw the price of $700.00. How many gallons of snake oil does that buy? I'm sorry but I cannot see paying that much for a radio, unless it covered more than 11 and 10 meters. I paid $800.00 for a Yaesu FT-890 AND a Yaesu FJ-2100 linear. A new 148 or a new Galaxy 9XX is just a shadow of what they were.
For $700.00 you could buy a real radio!

I am not impressed at all,he is definitely not an engineering tech. Always tries to show peak,peak is the trash output,only go by rms,the only useable power, when you start getting rms close to peak then your doing something, obviously has problems with practical use of electronic theory, he's just trying to squeeze money from people who don't know much about radios, I personally heard a radio with his "super tune" sounded like over driven trash.

Reactions: NZ8N
Why didn't you send it back??
Because he probably didnt want to wait another 6-8 months to get it back.
My problem with Les was he couldnt stick to his given time frames. He seems to always be biting off more than he can chew. He sure knows how to apply snake oil...

I am not impressed at all,he is definitely not an engineering tech. Always tries to show peak,peak is the trash output,only go by rms,the only useable power, when you start getting rms close to peak then your doing something, obviously has problems with practical use of electronic theory, he's just trying to squeeze money from people who don't know much about radios, I personally heard a radio with his "super tune" sounded like over driven trash.

I think Les does hack mods for more watts and would not buy from him. PEP isn't just cb shop propaganda. As the finals in a radio or amp run out of headroom the waveform starts to square off. Pep power does not increase beyond this point but average (some call it rms) does. When rms is getting close to the pep measurement fire up the oscilloscope and see what's happening.

Will yank & crank justify the “custom” expense?

Versus

An amp?

“Best” antenna?

I look at it from one who is mobile pretty well all day, every day. And mobile in a composite-body Class 8 tractor is flat difficult. Company regulations about any modifications just make things worse.

The temptation that a tech can blow magic New Mexico dust across a radio under a full moon, and, hey, I’m talking skip nightly is (pretty well) the definition of wishful thinking.

LesComm makes a living. Probably has fun in running hard to stay ahead (so to speak)

but my near 25-years as a driver has seen me wander into MANY shops where the display counter has a stack or three of used new & old Exports gathering dust.

I don’t much care whose name was on the case-seal sticker. There AREN’T that many drivers abusing radios, or quitting the industry (sold to make $3).

A fine piece of gear (reliable, foremost, nice reports, second) gets put away at the house. Or goes into the pickemup.

Is your 336 Marlin any different?

Make no mistake, both of them are
dinner-getters.

That tag applied settles the troubled waters of buyers temptation.

The radio is the clean-break trigger of the complete system.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated