• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lighting 8 (Signal Engineering) Vs Maco 108

gunsmoke241

May 30, 2005
Virginia
I'm looking to purchase the Lighting 8 antenna in the near future,but I'm also torn between maco 108, lighting 8 or even one the 8 Element Joe Gunns. I would like some honest pros and cons. Any good recommendations?????

The quad will require more maintenance over time. Jo-Gunn is overrated. Out of the three, your best bang for the buck is the Maco.

I wouldn't own any of them personally. I'd hold out for Jay's Crusader beam!

Right off the bat an 8 element has to be a real challenge in construction, upkeep, durability, and tuning. You really have to consider the weather in the area you live in to justify one of these.

The SE Quad has been well discussed and by most accounts is a very effective operator if built and tuned correctly, but the kit materials used leave a lot to be desired.

The Maco no longer slots their tubing and that is a negative, but for the most part is more durable than the SE Quad.

Jay’s antenna on the other hand will likely be as good as it gets in these regards, but operations have not been tested as best I know. I have heard rumors, but that is all thus far. I think one operator on this forum has one of Jay’s beams, but has thus far made no comments.

They will all have a problem with rotor support since they are so large. These are not projects for beginners or the faint of heart.

I've seen the SteppIr mentioned a number of times out here. This is a foolish antenna for anyone to use specifically for CB. It is expensive and not for the novice operator.

Yes, the SteppIr is an excellent antenna, but not optimized or recommended for CB use.

For less than half that price, you can buy a modified version of the M2 10M7 which is contest proven and well constructed.
http://www.m2inc.com/products/hf/10m/10m7.html

yes i realise that..

my point is for people to use a good antenna..

people who know quality antenna reconise steppir advantages
ofcourse it is way to much for simple 11 meter use..

also the M2 antenna you mentioned is far better then the junk antennas typiclly mentioned..

it seems not enough people realise (or if they do they dont put it to practice)
that the anenna is likly the most importent part of ones system.
followed then by feedline-coax and then finally the radio

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.