• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lightning attacks my 497!

jbullard85

Nov 26, 2015
So I'm driving down the road I hear a loud boom to my left and see a bright flash followed by Sparks out of the corner of my eye. Turn to look at my 497 and see smoke rolling out of the side of it and found the fuse was spent. I opened it up just as soon as I could and took a look at the inside and seen nothing looked out of place or burnt. So I replaced the fuse and kept an eye on the inside of it and seen a spark at the bottom of one of my mosfets and it is now burnt. Do you all think that I could just replace the mosfet or do you think that there would be another underlying condition as to why the mosfet is burnt? Thank you in advance for your response

Consider yourself lucky! Obviously you survived.

I took a lightning strike last August in my mobile station and a piece of the lightning struck my CB antenna on the left side of my semi truck. The stainless steel whip was completely burned off and the coax connector blew out. That was all the physical damage I found.

However, the truck had extensive electronic failures and ran up over $30,000 in repairs and still has gremlins lurking in it. Fortunate for me, someone else is driving that truck now. It is a company truck and was covered mostly by insurance.

However, nearly all my electronics, Like my Icom 7000, President Lincoln radio, Palstar electronic SWR/WATT meter, DSP amplified external speaker, all sustain some or complete electronic damage. At least the 2 radios were repaired. Only my Tokyo Highpower HF amp and Tarheel screwdriver antenna amazingly survived unscathed!

As for your stuff, I would say the Mosfet was probably damaged with the strike and needs to be replaced. It would probably be best to replace all of them if you have more than one.

"...do you think that there would be another underlying condition as to why the mosfet is burnt?"

well, it just burnt up the mosfet, why shouldn't it burn up another?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.