• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Linear SSB relay problems

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
I recently got a small linear from a friend to use in the mobile when out on the road working. I hooked it up right after getting it and immediately noticed a problem. When trying to use it on SSB after I am done talking...I will have nothing but static in the receive....my needle is all the way pegged like i am transmitting...but the mic is unkeyed for sure. And the amplifier is making a hissing like sound. The only way to get the linear to stop doing it is to power it off. I right away checked the capacitor in the SSB relay circuit. If i remove the capacitor...the relay just clicks as I talk on Sideband....but no matter what size capacitor i use in the circuit....it does the same thing. I can use the amp fine on AM...but the SSB circuit just will not work as it is suppose to.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like the keying circuit has taken a poop. Same happened to my magnaforce 350hd. Do you have much in the amp 8113? It doesn't cost much to have that repaired. PM me if you need someone to send it to. The guy that did mine is excellent!!

I was originally inclined to believe that perhaps it was the relay causing it to stick...however....when i attempt to use the SSB function with the capacitor removed...the relay still clicks on and off with the tone of my voice...if it was a sticky relay the relay would catch during this process as well. Its my belief that there is something keeping power going to the relay even after audio transmit has been stopped. I just cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Like I said If you don't have much in it, send it out. Mine came back better than it was when I first bought it, SSB key up is silly smooth now!!

There may be other components in the relay or total key up circuit that may be casing the issue 8113. I am no amp expert, there are a couple of guys here on the forums that seem to know their stuff, hopefully they'll chime in.

To add further to this...i just manually keyed up the circuit using a screwdriver and shorting out the circuit sending power into the relay...as soon as I move the screwdriver the relay disengages. So this leads me to believe that the problem is before the relay and something to do with the capacitor portion of the circuit. This bothers me because I have changed out the capacitor with numerous different values..and searched through the circuit looking for bad components and cant find anything. this is frustrating!

Yea 222, owning an electronics shop i always want to fix my own stuff. granted I dont know a ton about amplifiers..I know enough. This keying circuit has me a bit confused though. I know it MUST be a fault component but I cant find it

Well now i have an extremely stranger problem....I removed the capacitor in the relay circuit and shorted out the relay and keyed up the mic. I talked to someone just now down in Atlanta Georgia and they said it sounds great. Weird thing is...there is nothing holding a charge for the relay..yet the relay is staying open when I key...im not sure what the heck is going on
ALSO...the relay is NOT keying on when i am talking....there is a black peice in the middle that clicks now as soon as I turn the power on..this thing use to only click when I would key up the mic and the relay would click in...man this is getting weirder and weirder. Right now I can talk SSB with no use of the SSB circuit at all

It could be the keying circuit. But I have to ask what model amp this is. Does it have feedback circuits on it? What radio are you using. Sounds like the keying circuit let go, but also if you hear a hiss in the receive when you unkey, this sounds like an oscillation problem as well.

Reactions: bob85 and 222DBFL
Either:

1) A poor cable between amp and radio
2) Too many harmonics leaving the radio becaus it is throwing off too much distortion due to the limiter removed and the 54mhz trap circuit coils being spread
3) Both

It was definately something with the linear. I tried another radio and it did the same exact thing. The cabling wasnt the issue as it was brand new LMR 400 with new ends on the jumpers. Somethign in the linear was causing it to stay keyed. After my test where I jumped the keying circuit and was able to talk like that...My poor Kenwood ended up dying because of it.
See, at the end the linear stopped making the hissing noise..and even with capacitor removed from the relay circuit...the relay was staying keyed no matter what radio I connnected to it. Someone came to the door and I left my Kenwood Ts-130s connected to the linear...when I came back i keyed up and there was nothing...opened it up and the two 2290s in the rear were burnt through. So some sort of feedback is happening with the linear. Im gonna strip it and throw the parts in the parts drawer. Unfortunately....the kenwood seems to be a complete loss. I replaced the 2290s with brand new ones and it still isnt keying up. i suspect the feedback fried other things as well but this radio is too complicated for my limited radio repair Know how. RIP kenwood 2014

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?