• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LOOKING FOR A GOOD TRUE PEP METER?

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
The one thing I needed after getting back into the hobby was a real meter.
I wasn't happy with the cross needle meters. I wish someone would've suggested the Autek wm1 from the get go.
For between $50 and $80 you could own a meter that has excellent reviews on eham, large no calibration swr and 20-20-2000 true pep reading operation.
They came in white background with black digits or black with white digits.
The later models before Autek closed it's doors were backlit. A remote in out so 259 on a cord long enough to place away from your Rf source and built to last IMO.
There are much better meters available but you will certainly pay.
For most need this meter will serve the purpose and do it well.73

Attachments

• 14772682571031950369627.jpg
    14772682571031950369627.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 41

I have the ameritron awm -30 that

http://www.w8ji.com/alc_exciter_power_overshoot.htm

The above is why i purchased the awm -30
Daiwa NS-660P is a good one as well and there is also an add on module to cover VHF.
I've read that the Dawia meters are very good. Many ham and 11 meter operator's use them. I looked for the model you listed but couldn't find one. I'm assuming it's a cross needle type. I have a problem with the cross needle meters.
I'm not sure why. It might be because the only meters I've ever owned/used were the more traditional single needle type or the cross needles bother my eyes. Probably both. The one thing I like about the cross needle meters is not having to calibrate for swr. The Autek wm 1 needs no calibration and are very easy on my eyes.
These wm 1's are nice on so many levels. 73

Last edited:
Most power meters have internal adjustments that can be turned up or down for amount of happy mode.

This doesn't need to be the case as I have found my Dosy TC-4002-PSW with the added frequency counter base to be fine for non-commercial non-laboratory use after a few tweaks to bring it out of happy mode and back to reality mode.

It's big and easy on the eyes yet looks way better than other meters IMO ;)

NaaGoxl.jpg

Reactions: Sonar
Meters like dosy and a stick only read 70 percent of actual peak. I was always wondering why I would never see more then 15 watts on my dosy. Now I have bird 43p watt meter that shows 30 watts. Here is a good article https://www.bellscb.com/cb_radio_hobby/Newsletter/December_2010.htm
Dosey like workman and all the other like meters are junk but for most station needs do a good enough job. If one wants to get an ok reading one could calibrate their Dosey etc etc
Most power meters have internal adjustments that can be turned up or down for amount of happy mode.

This doesn't need to be the case as I have found my Dosy TC-4002-PSW with the added frequency counter base to be fine for non-commercial non-laboratory use after a few tweaks to bring it out of happy mode and back to reality mode.

It's big and easy on the eyes yet looks way better than other meters IMO ;)

NaaGoxl.jpg
That's true. I know many use the giant MFJ. Once it's calibrated it does the job. I guess that goes for most "happy" meters.
I personally had a bad experience with MFJ but I like the very large meter hence"Giant".

.... non-commercial non-laboratory use ....

I think this is the key right here. If you're in a shop tuning radios you need something good, for everyday shack use knowing exactly how many watts you're putting out isn't anywhere near as important as some people believe it is.

Counter can't measure SSB unless a 1khz signal is injected. Resolution of Dosy counter is limited to 6 places instead of 8.
$300?

Better off with a Daiwa meter and a used Tektronix/Fluke/Hp/etc 8 place resolution counter over a Dosy - IMO.

Last edited:
I have never seen a "new" pep meter that was worth owning under $160 current and new! The non-powered passive units under $160 never read pep accurately.

I have never seen a "new" pep meter that was worth owning under $160 current and new! The non-powered passive units under $160 never read pep accurately.

I guess you haven't used too many meters because I have a Radio Shack meter that sells for $40 new and it reads pep accurately......as well as quite a few other meters. If you want a powered meter that reads a crap load of feel good watts, buy a Bird 43P.
The problem with accuracy on so many meters is that they are +/- 5 - 10% at full scale. If full scale is 3000 watts and you are using a amp that only swings 400 watts it isn't going to be accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBB and 222DBFL
I guess you haven't used too many meters because I have a Radio Shack meter that sells for $40 new and it reads pep accurately......as well as quite a few other meters. If you want a powered meter that reads a crap load of feel good watts, buy a Bird 43P.
The problem with accuracy on so many meters is that they are +/- 5 - 10% at full scale. If full scale is 3000 watts and you are using a amp that only swings 400 watts it isn't going to be accurate.
I had a RadioShack meter and it read same as my dosy. average power yes, it will be pretty accurate but peak power won't even be close. Bird watts are true watts not happy watts like all the hobby meters.

If that Radio Shack meter does nt require power to work then it is only fooling you and doing a good job of it. Meter balistics simply cannot respond fast enough to measure trye peak power with out a sample and hold circuit which requires power. Those meters that simply switch a capacitor in to read peak typically measure about 70-80% of true peak.

Reactions: Sonar and 2FB327
I'm with the captain on this subject. Why is about price and reviews?
You have to have the right tools. I believe what I see versus the interweb. You see videos of guys whistling and yelling into a mic to get a needle to move, really?

I built one of Ken's dummy loads (K4EAA) and did a test with it, my Bird 43 and couple of those other meters. I use the can to check my Bird's accuracy and got rid of the others. If you want true PEP and are on a budget build the can. But nothing is going to work it you don't get a constant tone into the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.