• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For Some Feedback On Two Amps

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I looking at these two amps, but having hard time deciding.

I know they are only 100 watters. I am also aware of the price. The Elecraft wins points for coupler ability, but it's not necessary. The Ten Tec seems to have issues with continually tripping external auto couplers, mmmmm.

I plan to use this with my FLEX 1500 and some other raggy QRP toys.

Anyways, any owners? Anyone care to comment?

The Elecraft sure is pretty.

http://www.tentec.com/model-418-160-6-meter-solid-state-linear-amplifier/

http://www.elecraft.com/KXPA100/kxpa100.htm

If I was in the market, Ten tec. Has a built in antenna switch. Separate 6 meter antenna hookup. Option of manual band switching. and I never use auto antenna tuner, so don't need to worry about tripping them..
Rich

Reactions: Mudfoot
After careful thought, I've decided that's a crap load of money. So, I went ahead and ordered an RM Italy HLA150. I had one before, but sold it. I ordered the unit without fans because the one I had before, with fans, was loud as hell. I have a nice whisper quiet 4" fan that I'll set on top.

The Elecraft and Ten Tec amps sure look nice though.

The Elecraft has built-in antenna switch, as well. They're both pricey and probably both very good amps. I only have any experience with the Elecraft. I was impressed, but that certainly is a chunk of change to pay.

So the amplifier being Type Accepted & Legal for use in the United States on any band was never an issue I guess? Having type acceptance has it's cost associated with it but so does being fined for running an illegal piece of gear & knowing better.

With the $500 difference and the good reports from
others on the unit. It know it would not be an issue
here.
I have actually driven 32 MPH on a 25 MPH zone too!

With the $500 difference and the good reports from
others on the unit. It know it would not be an issue
here.
I have actually driven 32 MPH on a 25 MPH zone too!

And people wonder why the 10 meter band & other HF bands have so many wide signals.When we as Hams don't care about the dirty amplifiers & junk modified Export CB radios on the 10 meter band & use of those crappy illegal CB amplifiers on other bands or the rules it's no wonder it sounds & looks more & more like 11 meters every day.If you use this gear on the Ham bands then you are part of the problem & not the solution & I can tell to you it's about being CHEAP & the heck with what the RULES or LAWS of the Land say.Some people just can't afford the hobby with legal gear & could care less about someone else putting up with their trashy signals as long as they are having fun they don't care.Sounds like you don't it? Buy cheap & make lots of noise is all you care about because there is no pride in that shack or cares about being legal when on the air becuse it's all about you & doing it your way!

There is nothing "illegal" about running this amp. It's entirely possible to add whatever filtering is necessary after the output of the amp to make sure your signal meets the spectral purity regulations, which is what the written law is about.

You can buy a toaster from Cambodia that is labeled "10 meter amplifier" and use it on the amateur bands if you want and it would be perfectly legal if you can figure out how to maintain the necessary emissions standards.

I agree, I run one of the Texas Star amps on ten and twelve meters and have done so for years, a 500 model with 4 2879s in it and it works very well if you keep the drive down and limit the peak output to about 350 watts.
I am also currently running a President Lincoln radio (export) on ten meters and it works great, I get many complements on my signal and have a lot of fun.
Same thing with the RCI 2950DX and RCI 6900F25 that I had in the truck before the Lincoln.
Blame the operators that do not properly run there equipment, not the radios or amps.
And this is as old as the dinosaurs but export radios are as legal as ice cream for a Ham to use on the bands he/she is licensed for, one of the guys here called the FCC and asked point blank.
The answer was yes they are legal to use.
I can even dig up the phone number and the case number from the FCC if necessary, or you can call and ask the same question.
The FCC has admitted in court that many of the (ohh god) 10/12 meter radios being sold are legal out of the box.
And PLEASE do not post anything about the now infamous "list" of Banned radios that was all over the net that was written by a field agent that was confused as to what he was writing.
Again, The FCC admitted in court that there is no such list.
We have been over this subject many many times.
Sometimes you have to research these things and find out the truth for-yourself and not rely on stuff posted all over the net.
I find it funny that a popular internet forum still says the HR 2510 is a banned radio, I bought my first one from AES when they were selling them.....

Jeff

Class C "CB amps" work great on CW and data. People just get all uppity when they hear about these amps. Edumacate yourself, then you won't miss out.

Sixshooter...In reading you posts I see that you are one of the few people on this earth that does everything in life at a
100% legal level. So you claim. I doubt it.

You will not have to be concerned about me being on 10 meters and bothering you at all. At age 67, now that I have time and means to to get a Ham Ticket I would not have one.

Why?

Because for every helpful and friendly person I have met or read a post from, on this forum and other forums, there are enough taking up bandwidth with a holier than thou attitude wanting to stress their hubris ego, that I would not what to be classified with them. 99.9%with this attitude claim to have a Ham Ticket. It must be contagious.
Thank God not all Hams have been infected.

I can only imagine the same thing showing on every broadcast they make.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

I still enjoy other aspects of the broadcast hobby and the
knowledge shared by others. The collective and individual knowledge shown here is amazing. This is really a giant step forward from the late 1960's when I first became interested.

Have a great day and remember Happiness is a lifestyle.

I would encourage you to reconsider, radio is a fun deal and you can play it many ways from moonbounce to data to you hauling a small radio that you built from a kit up on top of a hill with a battery and a roll of wire.
It is a hobby, something for fun, it does not matter if it is a top of the line radio, a old motorola fm radio or a 23 channel CB recrystallized that gets you on some band to see if it will work.
There are plenty of guys on this forum that are helpful and do not care what you run as long as it meets the specs.
The core staff here works hard to promote Ham Radio, actually Radio in General.
Pull up a chair and hang out.
Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Reactions: unit_399 and 2RT307
Yep I will say it's a broad group here for sure, there are many plain jane operators here that talk on 11 meters as well as the ham bands. It's different strokes for different folks, but we all get along. Sure there is some disagreement, but if we all agreed all the time things would get boring real fast lol. Have a good one and hang out for a while, there is always something new to learn, age makes no difference! God bless

Reactions: Oldme

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.