• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking to get ~40 mile range out of CB without 102" whip?

datenschwanz

Feb 10, 2015
First post, I poked around but did not see this answered elsewhere so apologies in advance if it's been covered before.

I am looking to get a pair of mobile units that can achieve ~40 mile range on SSB. Can this be done with a pair of 4' antennas mounted on a headache rack or the roof of our trucks? Do we need to get one of the other types of units to do this like a 2 meter or 10 meter unit?

We're running cycling events and need to be able to get the truck that goes with the race leaders to communicate with the broom wagon that can be up to 40 miles back over varied terrain like hills and small mountains or across forests.

Thanks for looking!

Maybe look into GMRS radios. These are handheld radios and are supposed to cover a range up to 35 miles or so.

They do require a license but it doesn't require testing like a amateur radio license.
It is a 5 year license and only one member of your family ( or group) has to be licensed and all others can operate these radios under your license.

Over hills and terrain 40 miles - no guarantees. Cell phone is best bet if towers there.

A cb setup would need to have quality mag antenna on roof of truck - sirio 5000 performer, export radio (so you can go to quiet freeband freq), 400 watt amplifier, and even then no guarantee on hilly areas. $400+ per vehicle setup most likely and will also take some knowledge on how to set it up.

Like said , My guess also Not going to happen ! Local FD and PD had to put a tower up high here to get over a hill an that's not even 20 miles !

Maybe you should contact a local ham radio club. They love to support local events like your bike rides. There is a bike ride here that covers about 40 miles and 2 countries. Up to 100 mile loops. Children's Band radio is useless for that one.
Rich

Reactions: gamegetter
Find out who has the best cell phone coverage in the area and go buy 2 prepaid phones from Walmart. The mobile to mobile minutes are now usually free. Gonna be your best bet. Walmart carries most of the major carriers and will have coverage maps as well. Verizon or Att will most likely have the most coverage area. Good luck.

We're running cycling events and need to be able to get the truck that goes with the race leaders to communicate with the broom wagon that can be up to 40 miles back over varied terrain like hills and small mountains or across forests.

Thanks for looking!

This is why cycling event organizers normally contact Amateur radio clubs with access to repeaters. No CB or FRS radio is capable of this in variable terrain. Must be a new event with a greenhorn organizer.

[QUOTE="KD2GOE, post: 512267, member:

LOL GMRS/FRS is only good for 1 mile[/QUOTE]

I never used GMRS but I was refering to the nicer ones made by Icom, Yaesu, and Motorola, not those cheap ones for sale on Amazon for $20.00.

Advertising claims are subjective and usually published when, or if any test were done under the best conditions to give the best results.

The name brands mentioned are the maximum wattage allowed for this radio service and manufacture claims are for 25 miles or more. With a disclaimer of course to obvious terrain and surroundings.

I only made the suggestion because I do know and have talked to hams using a repeater tower which are usually ideally located can be hit with a 5 watt handheld 2 meter from up to 50 miles away and hit the machine quite well. Not bad for 5 watts.

So based off that I made an assumtion that 4 watts on GMRS could probably make around half the distance between multiple radios as long as there out in the open.

As for communications between big hills, big rocks and mountains,
Even repeaters, cell phones, and BIG RADIOS are not reliable for constant communication.

Have you or anyone else really used a GMRS radio and give a honest report on the range of these for both wide open area and hilly terrain?

I'm curious for myself and it might still be helpful for the original poster and others reading.
Thanks.

2x

The most i can get was 20 miles running 200 watts on 10 meters from my friends home to my car with a Wilson 5000 and it was spotty at best..

You need to learn how to install antennas properly. Using properly installed antennas a friend and I communicated quite well over 30 miles mobile to mobile on FM with just 4W each.

To answer the original poster....

Not going to happen with hills in the way. What you need to do is investigate if there are any commercial VHF repeaters in the area and if the companies operating them do a hire service. It is the only way you're going to guarantee as much coverage as possible. Vehicle to vehicle will work over the distance you want over flat terrain on CB or VHF. As soon as you put a hill between the two vehicles then despite what w9cll says you've got no chance no matter what you use and how much power you put out.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.