• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 4-element and Mosley 4-element

comet429

Oct 5, 2008
I recently got a maco and mosley 4 element, did some measuring and one boom long then the other and elements are spaced different. Which one would be better to put up on a 40ft. tower. I've heard if you add 1 to 2 inches to the reflector,it would help the back door,any truth to this? Any mods I can do to either one, that would help improve tx/rx. Went and bought a MFJ-259b, hope this help me from going up and down so much. Can't find much on beams,unless you buy the sofeware and I don't know if I want to go that far yet. All help welcome!

Reactions: Arch Stanton

Put one up. Try it out and take notes. Then take it down and put the other one up and do the same with it.

Decide which works best for you.

One of the antennas is probably optimized for gain while the other is optimized for better f/b and f/s ratios (can't optimize both on the same antenna). Before you go randomly adding length to the reflector, changing the spacing, or monkeying around with either of the antennas, you'd probably better get the software so you have a better idea of what you're doing.

need a lot more info... i "think" the maco is a mono-bander, is the mosley a trapped tri-bander. what model mosley?
what band(s) do you want to operate?
as a general rule a mono bander is better than a tri-bander on ONE particular band, but, the tri bander is better overall on more than one band.

the reflector (another general rule) should be about 5% longer than the radiator

I was told that one is a Mosley A-411-S and the other is a MaCo M104C, got them down the road from me, the guy said he's getting out of it and he had these laying in the yard, so I thought try a set of beams (vertical) for 11 meters. As far as trying each one, I like to put the best one up frist,my tower don't tilt. Looks like I'm going to put a 12ft. to 15ft. pole out the top of the tower for the elements to clear the tower, might be getting in more then I need to. Maybe I'll just leave th O.D. up.

Last edited:
I like the Mosley

POWER MASTER BEAMS
power-master.gif

*No Measuring - Pre- Drilled - Color Coded
*Heavy Duty Construction
*Stainless Steel Hardware
*Two Year Warranty
"Power-Master" Beams are full-sized arrays, each designed for operation on a single band -- Mosley A-311, eleven meter three element, Mosley A-411, eleven meter four element, Mosley A-511, eleven meter five element.
Superlative performance and construction characterizes each beam to insure satisfaction under the most adverse conditions.
Antennas are 100% rust proof. Stainless steel hardware, high-impact polystyrene insulators with drawn, seamless, aluminum elements & boom will provide many additional years of trouble-free operation. Low SWR over entire bandwidth. Maximum gain on all bands with an operating capacity well over 1 KW. All "Power-Master" antennas are fed with 52 ohm coax using the famous "Mosley-Match".
Mosley Electronics, Inc.
1325 Style Master Drive
Union, MO 63084
(636) 583-8595

Well,looks like I started this in the wrong place,guess I should be putting this in the CB antenna section, sorry.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.