• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco Shooting star or Gizmotchy 4?

Broke Spoke

KN4JQP
Mar 26, 2012
Deatsville, AL
Hello all. I'm looking into getting a beam in the near future. I've been researching and found these two beams. I run a Galaxy dx959 radio and I will be using ssb occasion. I also like the dual polarity capabilities as well. I will be putting the antenna up on a 50-60 ft. tower using a cd 45 rotor. Which beam would you guys use or suggest? Thanks for any info provided.

Maco I would think would have alittle more gain. Even spaceing and a short boom will cost some gain. And 3 elements vrs 4 are a compromise. A local runs a giz and it talks good but I like maco better. Just my opinion. Im talking a giz vrs a dual polarity maco. Ive been told a 4 element giz talks about like a 3 element yagi. Gizmotchy antennas are built good.

Thanks guys. I have already compared the two antennas on Bells website. I was under the impression that the gizmo was great for dx but lacking performance and harder to achieve a good swr on the vertical side. I read this in a post (not sure what website I read this). The only downside I can see for the gizmo is -7db f to b rejection than the shooting star. The gizmo, however can have the boosters added. I'm leaning toward the gizmo at this point but I will do more research. I'm not going to purchase an antenna unless I'm absolutely sure it is what will work for my needs. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: TonyV225
Broke Spoke, go to BellsCB.com You can get all the info on both beams,you will see that the Giz is a bit better beam with more gain..

Tell me how this is possible on a shorter boom? Did they use fairy dust on them. Just because its writen on paper dosent make it true. There is no way either antenna is doing the gain they say they will. But it sells antennas. Most companies do fudge the numbers. My 5 element maco claims 15.5 dbd gain. 9.5 dbd is closer to the truth. This has been talked about before. You can do a search broke spoke. Both antennas are built pretty good. The maco will have more gain. Even element spacing is also not as good for high gain numbers. Do a search on gizmotchy

Last edited:
If you go Maco, I would highly recommend doing the rope-a-dope on the elements. I didn't on my 4 element, and she sings in the wind. :whistle:

RT307

If you go Maco, I would highly recommend doing the rope-a-dope on the elements. I didn't on my 4 element, and she sings in the wind. :whistle:

RT307

Mine sings to me also but talk great too! I can talk ok but I dont sing very well lol. How do you like your 4 element?

RT307

Personally, I think the rope idea was intended to help damper the minor vibrations in the elements that may tended to cause failure by breakage and loosening. I could be wrong though, because someone will surely post a document showing the rope idea is intended to stop the antenna from singing.

For me I think you could stop the singing just by adding the end caps that
usually come with CB yagi beam kits, .

Reactions: TonyV225
You're right Mr. Clean. I had to read SE's website on antenna basics again...lol. A local suggested to me that a quad would be the way to go. I wouldn't mind putting one up but I have no idea how they do on ssb. I need an antenna that will perform on am and ssb. Also, where I live, the only weather problems are some wind gusts up to 20 mph. I have room to put up any size antenna. Just wieghing the pros and cons...lol.

Won't make any difference if it is AM, FM, or SSB.
It will all work the same equally. Quad is best by a small margin over a Yagi/horizontal beam. The real difference between the Quad and a Yagi - is that the Quad will be a bit quieter/less noise on receive. The gain is about the same for both.

Last edited:
I have both beams you have mentioned and I prefer my gizmotchy 3 element and I have been using it for 4 years now I will be adding the 4th element this summer Ide like to anyway. I really like my gizmotchy eventhough its a 3 element it works as good as the 4 and Ive got no complaints.

Both antennas are dual polarity but the Gizmotchy is really lightweight like 13 pounds all together and when i get the 4th element kit it wont add hardly anymore weight. Both antennas are owned and built by Tom Charles and they actually bought a new jig for making thicker walled elements I actually got the first set of new elements they made with the new jig but havent installed them yet and will be doing that this summer and giving them my feedback on the new elements.

I really like my Gizmotchy and would certainly not hesitate on buying another if needed. They are also working on mobile antennas aswell so keep your eyes open they may even be out there already Im not sure and havent talk to Tom yet this spring. I know they are working on a few different preojects Ham antennas ETC. which Ill also be trying I like there products and most of all Ive yet to find service like they have they are outstanding people and will never leave a guy in the dark there always there to help and stand behind there products ;)

Ive got 2 more towers to get put up here and one is going to be a test tower for trying different antennas and Ide love to get another gizmotchy and run it on that test tower for a month and then pull it down and put my shooting star up and run that for a month to see if there are any major differences. I also have a brandnew Jo gunn 5 or 6 element I cant remember what it is Ide have to open the box but if I dont sell that big ole thing Ide like to test that one out for comparison aswell.

You're right Mr. Clean. I had to read SE's website on antenna basics again...lol. A local suggested to me that a quad would be the way to go. I wouldn't mind putting one up but I have no idea how they do on ssb. I need an antenna that will perform on am and ssb. Also, where I live, the only weather problems are some wind gusts up to 20 mph. I have room to put up any size antenna. Just wieghing the pros and cons...lol.

A good quad or yagi will both do a great job. After you get a quad and a yagi in the air very little if any difference will be seen. A quad may be a fuzz quieter im not sure. Yagis are usually a little stronger in the elements. I think you will be fine either way. Peace!

Singing you say! I've had my Maco 5 element up for the past 12 yrs now - never once have I heard it sing (no rope either).

But, my outdoor T.V. ant. does a good job of doing the singing tho. It has been up for about 20 yrs now and no elements broken or fallen off of it yet.

My very old Hygain 5 element did do a lot of singing for the 24 yrs it was up, but here again, nothing ever fell apart.

Which brand - Maco for me over the Giz any day...

They dont sing all the time. Just every now and then. I didnt use endcaps so it wont hold water in the elements. Love my 5 element maco. They gotta work. DX man has talked everywhere on his and I never had more fun on the radio in my life.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated