• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco V-58 vs. workman W-58

... If you could make a length of that stuff the length of your element and the same diameter, it would not even support is own weight horizontally...

i'm gonna "bump" this thread.

the use of expandable foam is valid, it's not for structural strenght, it's to help prevent the elements from vibrating and "singing" when the wind blows. :)
a tight rope/string streached from end to end INSIDE the element will also help to prevent element vibrating.

the weight of the added foam is really a non-issue.

have any of you guys heard of filling the aluminum sections with expanding foam to increase the rigidity/ strength?

im wondering if there is a pro vs. con thing going on with this practice.

like, yes, you make the antenna less prone to bending in the wind, but you have also increased the weight of the antenna substantially.

advice?
LC

PS- i think booty's question has to do with the thickness of aluminum used in these two antennas.

does the maco use a thicker gauge of aluminum than the workman?
No the maco uses a lighter grade of aluminum then the Workman 5/8 wave

LC. here is a video of what Maco says, if you can make sense of it.
An ad or an update by Maco for the V58.

Marconi - 390

Last edited:
No the maco uses a lighter grade of aluminum then the Workman 5/8 wave
Interesting... Would you mind telling us where/how you know that? Is this something new? I ask because, although it has been a while (7 years), I have had and broken multiple Maco v58 and Workman 5/8's and to me the grade of aluminum used in both seemed to be the same. Maybe Workman made some changes?

I do know that the Maco does have the additional re-enforcement that Tom spoke of @ the 3 minute mark in the video Marconi linked. The Workman does not have that re-enforcement. I know this because my Maco broke 2/5 the way up the vertical from ice loading. My Workman broke right above the insulator from ice loading and there was only one tube. At least that was the case for the Workman 5/8 purchased in ~2015.

Attachments

• BrokenMacowithice2.jpg
    BrokenMacowithice2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Macogroundplanebreakinginicestorm.jpg
    Macogroundplanebreakinginicestorm.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1050893.JPG
    P1050893.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 11
  • P1050903.JPG
    P1050903.JPG
    609.1 KB · Views: 11
In addition to this thread, after several W58's purchased in 2021 not working out of the box, I have invested a great deal of time, figuring out why and what changed. I know all of these answers now.

What I can say, as a lesson in the antenna's history, is that the Maco V58 and Workman W58 used to be the same antenna, manufactured by Maco in the US, for Workman (and others) and private label branded the WEP W58 Space Ranger. This was until Maco closed up. This would account for why some W58 boxes were marked V58 and some manuals were included with the WEP W58, that were marked Maco V58.

After the closure of Maco, the Workman was sent offshore for manufacture. This antenna was being produced, for years, while Maco was dead. The current Maco owner, calls the WEP antenna a clone, but is it? In truth, the Maco was a clone of the Wilson Electronics Alpha V58. Granted, The older Maco, did buy rights to the design and name , but they did make changes to it.

Initially, everything with the offshore WEP W58 was good or better than the Maco Then things changed, without Workman's knowledge. This annoyed me, as the antennas I purchased, did not work.

For the past two years, I have been working with WEP, to fix and possibly improve the antenna. I have provided engineering services to WEP to deal with this and we are waiting for the OEM, to correct the antenna build. It has been a long and aggravating process. We hope they get it right this time around. I was very specific, in respect to materials to be used and sent them new drawings. If they don't do it it right this time, I told WEP we should do it here in the US or ourselves out of frustration.

The goal is to have a good antenna available at a reasonable price point. I have also worked on some other similar antennas for WEP, that may or may not be produced by them or myself. I don't really love a ring match, so I went in a different direction with that, in the other iterations I worked on. Regardless, the W58 is coming back soon and I will make that announcement here, when it happens, as they will be available directly from me.

The current owner of Maco antennas, did make some running changes to the build and quality of the V58 and V5000. The WEP W58 will not require the end user to de-burr tubing, as one example, which has been the case since the beginning of the new ownership of Maco antennas.

SuperLid

Attachments

• Wilson-CB-Antenna-Catalog.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Marconi
I have a copy of a post that Master Chief made around 2/20/2006, on the Maco V58 tubing used, but I can't find the post on WWDX using "Search", so I could just post the whole link of his comments.

So, I will try to scan the old-post from around 2/20/2006.

(Note) No luck finding the post.

So, I will type the section of interest below.

Master Chief,
"I set every element for 6"of overlap and adjust the TOP section for resonance (ground plane elements are 4" per instructions). Maco suggests adjusting "T43P" (section section). I'd much rather have a solid 6" of overlap here. You will find that the top section will have close to 12" overlap. Since they use much weaker 0.047 material, this overlap will actually strengthen the top of the antenna."

Now, I don't know anything about Workmans antenna, so consider that in your considerations.

Eddie - Marconi

I have a copy of a post that Master Chief made around 2/20/2006, on the Maco V58 tubing used, but I can't find the post on WWDX using "Search", so I could just post the whole link of his comments.

So, I will try to scan the old-post from around 2/20/2006.

(Note) No luck finding the post.

So, I will type the section of interest below.

Master Chief,
"I set every element for 6"of overlap and adjust the TOP section for resonance (ground plane elements are 4" per instructions). Maco suggests adjusting "T43P" (section section). I'd much rather have a solid 6" of overlap here. You will find that the top section will have close to 12" overlap. Since they use much weaker 0.047 material, this overlap will actually strengthen the top of the antenna."

Now, I don't know anything about Workmans antenna, so consider that in your considerations.

Eddie - Marconi
The current Maco V58's have changed, from when that was posted close to 20 years ago.

SuperLid, your posts are always informative, and I enjoy your responses.

Could you help me and tell me the overall length and diameter of the whole Base Assembly including the top tube and the base?

I want to try and modify my Eznec model with better specs. I would like your measurements, exposed L" x D", from the note BOTTOM on page 4, up to the point with the NOTE: ADJUST LENGTH HERE...on page 5?

Eddie - Marconi

Last edited:
SuperLid, your posts are always informative, and I enjoy your responses.

Could you help me and tell me the overall length and diameter of the whole Base Assembly including the top tube and the base?

I want to try and modify my Eznec model with better specs. I would like your measurements, exposed L" x D", from the note BOTTOM on page 4, up to the point with the NOTE: ADJUST LENGTH HERE...on page 5?

Eddie - Marconi
I have my drawing, that I am not able to publish here. But I will help you how I can.

I also have electrical capacitance measurements of the different variant base assemblies.

I just received my insulator sample yesterday, which will allow me to build up a base. I thought I should note here, it does not have a good fit in a Maco antenna, because Workman's W58 aluminum base tube material has a thicker wall, than the Maco/Charles Electronics Variant.

Reactions: Marconi
Thanks anyway SuperLid.

How about email?

I agree that Master Chief's, 2/26/20<> report did not work for me either.
I've never owned or seen a V58 up close, and the Base Section in the instructions shows ZERO dimensions in the details.

That said, I was just guessing at the whole Base Section dimensions.

Eddie - Marconi

Thanks anyway SuperLid.

How about email?

I agree that Master Chief's, 2/26/20<> report did not work for me either.
I've never owned or seen a V58 up close, and the Base Section in the instructions shows ZERO dimensions in the details.

That said, I was just guessing at the whole Base Section dimensions.

Eddie - Marconi
I sent what I believe you need. Looking forward to your results.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.