• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

very nice site, you kiwi's are getting the stuff that should have been sent over here. what does one of those mg 990's cost? looks like $238 us, thats not bad at all.

FM output

45-50W, can go more but putting a lot of strain on the radio to dissipate the heat. Will have a better idea of the max outputs after the next batch arrive with the redesigned heatsink and internal fan. Also they run hotter with me here in the tropics with a 30' ambient temperature. (I cooked 2 S-45 HP's running sideband before I knew it. Put a fan on the 3rd and it is still running but got some weird problems with an intermittant carrier on the upper side band. The S-45's do sound smooth on SSB I have to admit.)
The latest Optima's and Huracans were shipped on Monday but I have to go on leave for a month starting tomorrow so won't get to test them here till I get back. Glen in NZ at the yeticomNZ site will get his "testers" in about a week and hopefully will write something up on the site in my absence. If I get some internet access in The himalayas I will check this site for news and ask Glenn to post his views. Saw the new schemetic of the Huracan the other day and over 100 changes to the basic design of the superstar/ranger/galaxy boards.
Long live SSB!
Cheers, Dave

Guess what?
We have a 257 clone that:
steps in 5khz steps
goes from 24.5 to 29.999 in one continuous band
all mode
50w from IRF mosfets
Independent RIT/XIT clarifiers (+/- 600hz)
Incorporates an switcheable additional filter in the IF (Similar to channel guard)
steps on up or down in 1, 10 or 100khz or 1mhz
Has the programmable split
Has a fan

its out there!

does it have a speech processor added yet ?

would be far more useful on ssb than programmable splits,very few people work split frequency on 11m,and those that do are generally elitest nuggets.

what is frequency stability like,those radios were known to drift further than the iceberg that sank the supposedly unsinkable titanic.

50w seems a bit excessive,seeing as most serious dx'ers would use it with a linear amplifier to get around 200w + pep,especially at the moment while the solar cycle is pretty sh!t.

does it have a speech processor added yet ?

would be far more useful on ssb than programmable splits,very few people work split frequency on 11m,and those that do are generally elitest nuggets.

what is frequency stability like,those radios were known to drift further than the iceberg that sank the supposedly unsinkable titanic.

50w seems a bit excessive,seeing as most serious dx'ers would use it with a linear amplifier to get around 200w + pep,especially at the moment while the solar cycle is pretty sh!t.
Split freq on this radio can only be accomplished when in the default 10m mode.
Won't do it on 11 meter whatsoever.

These radios don't drift at all.
One of the best feature of this radio.
You must be thinking of a different radio...

Split freq on this radio can only be accomplished when in the default 10m mode.
Won't do it on 11 meter whatsoever.

These radios don't drift at all.
One of the best feature of this radio.
You must be thinking of a different radio...

i was referring to the clones that dd18 was talking about,not a m257,i wouldn't touch one of those with a barge pole,or any other magnum for that matter,build quality is shit.

a radio out of korea that doesn't drift?

what type of counter you using,a 2 digit one?

Last edited:
I have had a 257 for over a year in the mobile, and it is great, and has absolutely NO drift. As Ron Popeil said, " Set it and forget it". Guess you have has never owned a magnum, huh? One of the BEST radios I have owned, and that is saying a lot for the little rig.

Reactions: 1 person
theres no such a thing as a stable set it and forget it cb radio, thats a myth touted by people that don't have a proper frequency counter to see the drift, some are much better than others such as the old stalker 9 exports grants ar144 cobra 146, the modern offerings from magnum/rci suck,
unlock the clarifier and train your ears.

I have had a 257 for over a year in the mobile, and it is great, and has absolutely NO drift. As Ron Popeil said, " Set it and forget it". Guess you have has never owned a magnum, huh? One of the BEST radios I have owned, and that is saying a lot for the little rig.

set it and forget it,hmmm,i think i'll just stick to forgetting magnums,used plenty of them and as Bob 85 correctly says,they SUCK !!! they drift all over the place,build quality looks a though they were built by retards,getting about frequencies on them is a severe chore as they don't know the meaning of continuous vfo.more often than not the quadrature coil is set wrong when new,as Bob 85 will testify,as he's had to retune loads of them.All in all your much better off with a Ranger Rci chassis,and thats saying something because of late their radios have sucked too,quality control has been piss poor.

If thats one of the best radios you've ever owned a hearing aid may well be a sound next investment for you or you could learn to work all those lovely Kenwoods you own or even your finely built cobra 2000 gtl.

theres no such a thing as a stable set it and forget it cb radio, thats a myth touted by people that don't have a proper frequency counter to see the drift, some are much better than others such as the old stalker 9 exports grants ar144 cobra 146, the modern offerings from magnum/rci suck,

Uh Huh! Read my sig line, junior.

Now I can clearly see that those that hate these radios do so out of blind ignorance. Must be something wrong with their diet; need more fiber!

It all to obvious that you should consider borrowing one of these radios for a few days and figure out for yourself that these claims are true. Otherwise, your reputation, expertise, and clout are in serious jeopardy. In fact, they have suffered serious damage already. Just as fallible as the next person so it seems - not really that surprising...

Reminds me when I used to hear that 'Japanese cars are all crap' - from the so-called 'experts'. The cars looked so strange on the outside and just smelled funny on the inside. In the long run, how wrong were those experts that never owned or drove one for awhile were. Turned out that I bought a Honda, after being a pro mechanic for almost two decades of American cars. Perhaps it will just take some time for others to see for themselves and judge accordingly.

I am not an 'expert'; and never claimed to be one. I am just an end user and I tell it as I see it. These radios have the most stable SSB performance that I've ever seen in any brand of radio. Truth is, there are enough people that have and use them daily that have echoed my words about this radio's stability before I said so. If the deemed 'experts' and the jokers don't know and cannot lower themselves to try one - or simply can't tell the difference - rather than blindly condemn them altogether/out of hand; then they are simply blowing an abundance of hot wind out of their arses. It is just that obvious at this point.

Reactions: 1 person
Now I can clearly see that those that hate these radios do so out of blind ignorance. Must be something wrong with their diet; need more fiber!

It all to obvious that you should consider borrowing one of these radios for a few days and figure out for yourself that these claims are true. Otherwise, your reputation, expertise, and clout are in serious jeopardy. In fact, they have suffered serious damage already. Just as fallible as the next person so it seems - not really that surprising...

Reminds me when I used to hear that 'Japanese cars are all crap' - from the so-called 'experts'. The cars looked so strange on the outside and just smelled funny on the inside. In the long run, how wrong were those experts that never owned or drove one for awhile were. Turned out that I bought a Honda, after being a pro mechanic for almost two decades of American cars. Perhaps it will just take some time for others to see for themselves and judge accordingly.

I am not an 'expert'; and never claimed to be one. I am just an end user and I tell it as I see it. These radios have the most stable SSB performance that I've ever seen in any brand of radio. Truth is, there are enough people that have and use them daily that have echoed my words about this radio's stability before I said so. If the deemed 'experts' and the jokers don't know and cannot lower themselves to try one - or simply can't tell the difference - rather than blindly condemn them altogether/out of hand; then they are simply blowing an abundance of hot wind out of their arses. It is just that obvious at this point.

be careful robb , you dont wanna loose the ability to get those free magnum radios by becoming know as a bitter and argumentative reviewer / magnum representative .
i do understand the need to pimp the products and keep that free gear coming though ;) i wish i could get in on a deal like that myself .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated