• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
1.jpg

Here's a thought if you are considering putting together an up-to-date base station...
The Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP.

4.jpg

It is true this radio was designed to be a mobile radio; but I have found that it makes a compact multi-featured base station radio. Sure; any mobile radio can be used as a base station. But not many mobile radios carry enough new innovations; this is also true for many base stations being sold today on the market. RF Limited/Magnum International has combined the PowerBand RFX-75 amplifier to the OmegaForce chassis. This particular model has undergone many evolutionary changes in less than a decade. This evolution started with the AlphaForce to DeltaForce. Then, from the DeltaForce to the OmegaForce. Now; to the OmegaForce to the OmegaForce HP.

The Package...
PICT0205.jpg

What separates the best from the rest - when it comes to export/10 meter radios?
The ability of exceptional receive power as well as talk power.
The OmegaForce HP offers both...

A "Tour de Force"

You will be surprised to find so many features just not found on other brands or all in one package here. Squelched and unsquelched scanning. Multi-mode band selectivity by the end user - and not a shop. Unmatched 10 meter performance with repeater programming function. Dual mic plugs. A factory power condenser mic that is a good or better than most aftermarket mics. Two S/RF meters - one analog meter and one very sensitive digital meter. LCD screen can be switched from channel display to frequency display. Program up to five different channels - including their different broadcast modes/settings. Full fidelity all-mode (FM, AM, SSB) talkback that other brands cannot match...

If you want to use it for 10 meter only; then echo, talkback, and roger beep can all be turned off. It can still be a great radio to use on 10 meters. But if a Ham should operate this radio on 10 meters; they will be getting great audio reports and a receive second to none. Unless you are running a full HF radio - of course. For the money spent, you cannot get as much. When using the clarifier on SSB, this radio stays rock solid after adjusting. The clarifier will move 1.5khz in either direction; but you can adjust the radio in increments of 1Khz manually by a simple push of a button and a spin on the dial if need be - then the clarifier's 1.5Khz slide is more than enough to go anywhere in between. Programmable repeater offsets if you have a repeater in your area - too...

Some of the more standard features found on this radio are far from industry standard...

I used to think that Galaxy radios were the best receiving radio on today's market. I was wrong. The receive in this radio is better than any of the Galaxy's I presently own. I can hear people that others can't. I didn't expect this radio had as good receive as it does. Considering I don't run the world's best antenna - I find this a definite 'plus'. Of course, nothing can make up for the quality of the antenna. It sure does help to be able to everything that the antenna can offer - though. This is a dual-conversion receive radio - with an important difference. Both the receive and transmit circuitry is CPU controlled - which also means more precision for AM, FM, and SSB modes. Only RCI has some radios that are in the same class as the OmegaForce using a CPU to control receive/transmit circuitry.

The truly unique feature to the OmegaForce HP - is it's ability to modulate on AM and SSB modes. For 10 meter operating on SSB, simply turn the selector dial to 'STX'. This will apply compression when transmitting. With the stock mic's condenser element - being understood is no problem whatsoever. If one wants a truly wide range dynamics for AM mode, switch the selector to 'MTX'. When in the 'MTX' selection; the compressor and the TopGun modulator is also on. Making one sound distinct enough to cut through any mucky-mud/pile-up. The 'MTX' will work on AM only; and not on SSB or FM modes.

The other feature that works in this radio - that is unlike any other that I have seen on the market - is the ability to turn down the RF power output knob all the way down in AM mode - and watch it swing upward. I checked all RF Limited's claims with my Dosy meter - which I'm quite sure is 15% off (meaning that there is probably more power out than my meter will show). This radio will dead key at one watt and swing up to nearly sixty watts! I had to see it to believe it; but I did. Probably closer to 75 if a Bird meter was available. Turn the RF output knob to the halfway point and see eight watts dead key and ninety watts. Turn the power knob to the 3 o'clock position when on SSB and hear them come back to you during skip with 65 watts swing. Just imagine that available dynamic audio range with the best mic in your arsenal...

Yes; it has toys that can be turned off. But they are top-notch too. The digital echo is rivaled BY NO OTHER manufacturer. Sam Lewis -of "RF Limited/Magnum International"- explained to me that they use a high-end echo chip that is used in high-end karaoke machines. Not mushy or muddy; but pristine and clean. Keeping one's 'high-end' frequency response audibly clean. I felt that the highly acclaimed Galaxy echo boards sound muddy by direct comparison. Another area that I feel that Galaxy dropped the ball and Magnum picked it up and ran with it is the all-mode talkback feature. It is simply no contest comparing the audio of these two, the fidelity of the Magnum's talkback is superb. The roger beep function gives a quick beep rather than an elongated tone.

All of the Magnum S-6 and S-9 series have the TopGun compressor and TopGun modulators. As well as the Alpha, Delta, and OmegaForce radios. The S-3 series has only the TopGun modulator. I believe that the TopGun devices sets the Magnums apart from the other radio manufacturers - as far as being clean, clear, and pleasantly audible. They also have the characteristic of being able to key with 1 watt and swing to 50 watts.

I usually run the RF output at the nine o'clock position on AM for a cool 2-75 watt swing/PEP. I also usually run the RF output no more than three o'clock on SSB. I never turn it all the way up. That isn't a wise thing to do on any radio. With that much dynamic range; why mess with it by turning it up all of the way and compressing the power? Let it swing as much as possible to get the best that it has to offer! Keep the RF output knob set low - and keep it cool. One would just be heating up the heatsink and output transistors needlessly.

The Power Band RFX-75 unit...
5.jpg

Some important changes made...

In past versions of this radio, they have gone from the dual 2SC1969 output transistors to the dual ERF 2030 MOSFET units made by EKL. Which - is a division of RF Limited - by the way. With the addition of the PowerBand RFX-75 and the elimination of the 2030 finals to the ERF-7530 MOSFET, the power on AM is a conservative 90 watts. On SSB mode, it will put out 70 watts. And on FM mode, it will do 20 watts.

10.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

11.jpg

Owner-friendly modification...

To change bandwidth on this radio, it will require removing the speaker side cover and locating a small board attached with one screw near the front left side. I tested this radio in position 1 for 10 meter use; and then in position 3 for all-band use. In the all-band setting, it will go from 25.165Mhz to 29.699Mhz. You can manually input frequencies at 1Khz, 10Khz, and 100Khz in any band selected. Talking on 10 meter on -let's say- 28.313Mhz is a breeze to adjust; just hit the 'scan' button once - and the last frequency digit will start to blink. Turn the frequency/channel knob up and down to step 1Khz at a time. Dial the right digit in, and the hit scan again - done.

Keeping the jumper on the "con 1" position will provide the radio with the repeater offset functions. "Con 2" position allows for expanded 10 meter usage. In the jumper positions (con 3 & con 4) the repeater offset function will not operate. So for 10 meter use; keep it on the factory default "con 1" or "con 2" for extended 10 meter range. The extended range for 10 meter "con 2" isn't mentioned in the manual. "Con 3" will give you all of the frequencies between 25.165mhz all the way to 29.699mhz. While "con 4" will give strictly CB/40 channels. There is also a button on that same board to clear memory after changing 'con' positions 1-4. Just hold it for 5 seconds each time you change any of those positions.

It only takes a few moments to read the owners manual to find out how to do that - and more. Indeed; the owners manual is also easy to understand and utilize all of the functions (I have the owner's manual in a pdf file at the bottom of this page). The soft button functions aren't as cryptic as some radios I've used; although it is a bit much for operating in a mobile environment. I wish my Yaesu FT-8800R 2 meter radio was that easy and intuitive! To change the band usage on this radio it requires that one must open up the radio, find this board (the two pictures below) and move one jumper to one of four locations.
That is it!

7.jpg

The procedure for this mod is attached at the bottom of this page in a pdf file

8.jpg

Taking it for a spin...

This radio's performance during recent skip conditions were fun to say the least. Conditions were quite favorable this day. I talked to pretty much up and down the East Coast on this radio with just an IMAX 2000 antenna (I am going get a beam antenna soon and will run this radio with that). I have heard my base station from my mobile - It did sound distinctly different from the other stations.

This radio might be a little hard to find at your local truck stop. Since it has a few soft-touch buttons that require a sequence to get to a particular function - it is not well suited for truckers. I ran a Samlex SEC 1223/23 amp power supply and it all runs quite cool together as a base station. It draws about 15 amps during full modulation. I used an Astatic D-104 Black Eagle for all of my testing, and the only internal adjustment I made was turning up the AMC/Modulation pot in the radio - just a smidge.

A nearby/local operator had asked me what I had done different to my station. He said that he was reading me at 50 S-units -instead of the usual 30 S-units - from his Galaxy 99V (used as a base station). He said it sounded the same as my first OmegaForce, but louder and clearer. What I find most amusing about this radio - is that these comments seem to come all of the time and I never ask for them. "Gee - what a great sounding radio you have; what is it?"

A local mobile radio conversation with "Russ" informed me that the radio was clean and without distortions that could be heard. Same was true for SSB performance, as he talked to me on his Galaxy 979 while giving me this radio check through 13 miles of urban sprawl through the Santa Clara Valley in CA. Russ has been around CB since dirt was new, and has also admired this radio's sound. I trust his judgment when it comes to radios and equipment because of that experience. He also told me that he wants to get one of these; and if I know him - he probably will. His overall report to me, was that the audio was loud, sensitive, and dynamic in AM mode. SSB was clear and easily understood.

The "not-so-stock" mic

To use the mic that came with this radio to its fullest, just take off the back of the mic and turn the little trim pot inside all of the way up. Put it back together and adjust the mic gain on the radio with your RF meter. The 'Magnum' label on the front of the mic will rock back and forth to each side - to allow for channel change upward and downward. It is a little hard to see this feature by looking at it. I had to read it in the manual to find that out.

This mic receives power from the board to power the condenser element. It is not a passive condenser element like the Cobra stock mics. It is a true condenser mic in that sense. Looking at the radio from the front, the left mic plug can only be used with the factory mic. Do NOT use another mic in this location! Damage to the board will occur. The mic plug on the right side of the radio will work with any mic that is wired for Cobra, Galaxy, Connex, Ranger -and of course- Magnums. Makes it easy to swap mics to until you find your personal favorite. I used a Astatic D-104 and prefer it to others with this radio. I also found the stock mic -when turned up inside the mic itself as previously mentioned- to be an excellent mobile mic. That stock mic got a lot of compliments too - before I put the D-104 on it.

Final thoughts...

The board and components are another fine feature. They use a high-quality RB-4 material for the main board. Components on the board are of high quality too. Sam Lewis's AR 3500 was a legend in its time - as well as building a radio ahead of its time. Since time has moved on, Sam has made Magnum radios the new radio legend. It was hard to find any negatives with this radio. I have tried. The only negative that comes to mind are the loose feel of the controls. But that is about it. Some people like the well greased/dampened feel on control knobs when turned. Although feeling a bit loose and undampened - it certainly doesn't affect their function whatsoever. Don't let that blindside you from trying it yourself.

6.jpg

PICT0162.jpg

In Conclusion...

It really is that well made and the performance beats my Galaxy's. I must also confess that I've been using a OmegaForce (non-HP) for a whole year. So I've had a long time to compare it to others. The HP is better; in that the dynamic range is greater with more watts available from just one watt dead key. It has set a new high water-mark. Maybe if Sam Lewis were to put one of the new 175 watt units in on the bottom cover on the OmegaForce will only make it better still. Now - that's an idea! The only criticism that comes to mind - is that Sam Lewis needs to make more of these radios available to the public. It is hard to find them online; that can be changed...

This radio has far too many positives and practically no negatives at all. If one consider the loose feel of the control pots a negative - then perhaps there is one. If one expects the frequency counter to have four places and be real time; then that might be considered another. But when one considers that it is a CPU controlled PLL, VCO, AM/FM/SSB circuit reading the chosen frequency instead of a real time counter - that is no longer an issue either. A well functioning radio in every respect and all that has been claimed by RF Limited/Magnum Int'l is valid.

I would thoroughly recommend giving an OmegaForce S-45 HP a try.
I give it 5 out of 5 stars possible.
*****/*****

9.jpg

More Info Needed?

If looking for an OmegaForce HP, just use Google search got "Magnum Radios". Any of the first 15 dealers that come up will be able to order it for you if they don't have it in stock themselves.

The radio I received from Sam Lewis for this review was factory tuned by Chris Holland - RF Limited's Chief Tech at "The Radio Shop" at 4055 Guasti Rd Ontario CA.
Phone is 909-390-5056.
Inquiries can be made to Sam Lewis or his staff at RF Limited 1145 12th Ave NW -Suite C7- Issaquah WA.
Phone is 425-295-0390.
*This radio was given to the writer for this explicit purpose of review*

Attachments

• omegaforce_s45_hp_info.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 161
  • omegaforce_s45_om.pdf
    695.8 KB · Views: 125

Thank you for the great review!

I have one quick question:

Are there any "hardware" differences between the MAGNUM OmegaForce S-45 "HP" and the non "HP" version or is it just how the the radios have been tuned?

:)

the HP/new version has more power output .

i was expecting them to use smt for the build . a 6 digit fc woulda been nice too .
what are these gonna sell for ? did you use it much on sideband ? did it waver any on frequency or need a warm up period to stabilize ? any idea how the recieve would compare to a grant or rci 29xx radio ?

thanks for the time and effort to do this review . ;)

Thank you for the great review!

I have one quick question:

Are there any "hardware" differences between the MAGNUM OmegaForce S-45 "HP" and the non "HP" version or is it just how the the radios have been tuned?

:)

The major hardware change is the addition of the PowerBand RFX-75. The previous version of the OmegaForce just used two ERF-2030's and a large heat sink. If you look at the picture of the back of the radio above, you will see the heat sink of the PowerBand RFX-75 installed.

The PowerBand RFX-75 from RF Limited

Attachments

• rfx75_sm.jpg
    rfx75_sm.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,182
the HP/new version has more power output .

i was expecting them to use smt for the build . a 6 digit fc woulda been nice too .
what are these gonna sell for ? did you use it much on sideband ? did it waver any on frequency or need a warm up period to stabilize ? any idea how the recieve would compare to a grant or rci 29xx radio ?

thanks for the time and effort to do this review . ;)
Funny you should mention Surface Mount Technology. Sam Lewis explained that many European countries sell more new electronic equipment with SMT onboard. The US is resistant to this change. Radios of the near future may well go this route. The equipment to repair and handle these very small components is an extra expense to the tech - as well as having great eyesight just to be able to perform it. Americans typically like to tinker - like cars and other things - in order to modify or fix them to their own likings. SMT will make it more difficult to do for the hobbyist.

RCI does use this SMT in some of their radios. But to match the modulation that the Magnum radios have; one would need to use some speech processing like the TopGun CP-1 or even an MD-1 in order for it to get the best wattage swing out of it - in order to be able compete with the OmegaForce HP on the same plane.

The SSB on this radio is really excellent. No drift whatsoever! If it needed to warm up for this - it was so small as not to be noticed. I use it on SSB almost ALL of the time. It works on FM pretty well too; although I don't hear too many people using FM. I would say that the receive is equal to or better than my Grant XL...

Suggested list price would best be found from giving Sam Lewis a call at RF Limited during business hours M-F. He can let you know where they can be found from a shop near you. Or you can order one directly from Sam - I believe...

Thanks for asking - BootyMon...

Lot of work here for sure. (y) Hmmmm , How was the heat on the RFX 75 ? I'd like to give this radio a work out myself but chances are IM not buying it. 90 AM 70 SSB , interesting . Is there a price tag on this thing ?

I've used a handful of those RFX's and you could fry an egg on those babies and not all that stable even close to under driving them, I could understand the 90 on AM , What are the DKs on this thing before that ?

I personally don't like it just looking at it. I hope it turns out to be a good unit and makes lots of money. Time will tell. I appreciate your review for sure. I don't know why ? But the Cobra 200 and 150 come to mind , Wow ! what a pain those were in the beginning , I bet there were thousands of ginny pigs / lab ratts on those radios.

Lot of work here for sure. (y) Hmmmm , How was the heat on the RFX 75 ? I'd like to give this radio a work out myself but chances are IM not buying it. 90 AM 70 SSB , interesting . Is there a price tag on this thing ?

I've used a handful of those RFX's and you could fry an egg on those babies and not all that stable even close to under driving them, I could understand the 90 on AM , What are the DKs on this thing before that ?

I personally don't like it just looking at it. I hope it turns out to be a good unit and makes lots of money. Time will tell. I appreciate your review for sure. I don't know why ? But the Cobra 200 and 150 come to mind , Wow ! what a pain those were in the beginning , I bet there were thousands of ginny pigs / lab ratts on those radios.

When I run the radio at 1 watt minimum to swinging sixty watts; the RFX unit was skin temperature on AM with a 1.4 SWR match. They tuned the radio so that is it really running the way it was designed. The DK to see ninety watts was about six or eight watts.

I suppose looks mean something to some - as far as how it looks to me - I don't think either way about it.
It is all function and no bluff.
But if one truly cares about how one sounds...
;)

I personally think this unit may be better built then i thought when the non 45 first came out. And i may lean towards a purchase of this unit. But i do have the new RCI-2970n2. And as you quoted Rob is the Top Gun Mod. and the SP-1 I would like to find the phone number for Chris Holland ( the Radio Shop ) i guess i will let my fingers do the walking. Since he did the tune up i might see if i can purchase one from him and have it shipped. Rob you said that a 25 amp power supply was enough to run this unit ? I thank you for your time and process in this procedure. I believe this has giving me a different look at the whole picture between this unit and my RCI Thank you Rob

The Deltaforce and Omegaforce are great radios full of lots of features. Their stability on SSB, excellent. I love being able to use the memory function on these radios - it can recall both frequency and mode which is very nice if you want to flip between listening on 11 and 10 meters.

The big plus with the Magnum Omegaforce, Deltaforce, and 257 is that they are some of the few "export" radios that actually perform very well for 10 meter use as well as CB use. The only other exports I would usually suggest for 10 meter use would be the 2950, 2970 and the older HR2510's etc.

The big plus with the Magnum Omegaforce, Deltaforce, and 257 is that they are some of the few "export" radios that actually perform very well for 10 meter use as well as CB use. The only other exports I would usually suggest for 10 meter use would be the 2950, 2970 and the older HR2510's etc.

How long have you been licensed?

:rolleyes:

(how does your question associate with cbradiomagazine.com's post?)

Actually I was curious, but the highlighted statement makes one (at least me) think he has operated these radio on the ten meter band.

I would love to see him do some reviews of amateur equipment in his ezine.Though the the reviews might not be the most technical they seem honest and come from a user's point of view.From what I gather he buys the review radios out of his pocket, Some reviews around the web and in the magazines are giving away by manufacturers or distributors for review.Maybe it's just me ,but I think in that scenario the reviewer might show subconscious favoritism towards the product, everyone like free stuff.

Some reviews around the web and in the magazines are giving away by manufacturers or distributors for review.Maybe it's just me ,but I think in that scenario the reviewer might show subconscious favoritism towards the product, everyone like free stuff.

That is my concern as well. What Tech808 was doing with his "reviews" of Magnum radios on another forum was more marketing than impartial reviewing. Send me free radios from Galaxy, all of a sudden I might be a little subjective -- "It seems to receive better than the Magnum S9 I have".

Without any kind of empirical test data, that is a statement that should be taken with a BIG grain of salt.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?