• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum s45HP SSB

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
FM audio sucks, plain and simple.
apparently on SSB with mic gain at 12 clock, RF power at lowest point no RF swing, turn up RF power knob more sing....... turn it up ....and...... you have a DK on SSB even with the mic gain at ZERO. how is this possible? and i have confirmed it with 4 others here with SSB and FM all with the same results.
how ever, AM is a talker+loud! and absolutely no issues..... yet :mellow:

Sounds like the carrier balance is out of alignment, I'll post again once I get Adobe Reader updated, so I can view .pdf files, I can tell you what you can do to adjust the SSB carrier balance so you don't have a carrier on SSB (provided that's the problem).

As far as FM goes, is it too "overmodulated" (over-deviating) or "undermodulated" (under-deviating)? I'm pretty sure there's an adjustment for that also, which I can include in my next post.

Did you have anyone tune it up?

Just wondering. ;)

~Cheers~

Looks like RV801 adjusts the carrier balance for SSB. Adjust that to where there is no carrier on LSB, then switch to USB to make sure there's no carrier on USB.

RV106 controls FM deviation (FM "modulation"). Adjust that for FM.

Hope this helps!

~Cheers~

Robb is 100% correct. If hasn't been opened (which is why I asked if anyone's tuned it or not), send it back to Magnum, and tell them the issues. They should fix it under warranty.

~Cheers~

NO. i tuned AM only. ssb was fine and never did notice the ssb isssue untill someone brought it to my attencion.
i rarely use SSB anymore. but decided i would check to see if what soimeone told me was true and sure enough. why i didnt catch it on the scope...

The deviation adjustment is commen I dont know why but these manufactures have a hard time setting this. Galaxy was huge for this being horrible at how their radios sounded on FM and yet its a simple adjustment. I understand most people dont use FM but for what it takes to adjust it why not just do it!!?? I had adjusted some that were way off and the recieve wasnt even understandable.

Interesting. The manual says to adjust RV801 on the Balanced Mod module for SSB carrier balance, but upon looking at a parts layout of the board, that's incorrect, I apologize. I believe the one you need to adjust is VR107 for SSB carrier balance. Should be about center of the board by a small metal can and a single inline pin (SIP) IC chip. Good luck!

~Cheers~

FM audio sucks, plain and simple.
apparently on SSB with mic gain at 12 clock, RF power at lowest point no RF swing, turn up RF power knob more sing....... turn it up ....and...... you have a DK on SSB even with the mic gain at ZERO. how is this possible? and i have confirmed it with 4 others here with SSB and FM all with the same results.
how ever, AM is a talker+loud! and absolutely no issues..... yet :mellow:

where did you setup the gain in the stock mic at?i find its much more potent
to open this wide open you,ll know what way to go audio drops off quick
when turning it down, why i left mine wide open.the carrier you see
sounds like a rf coming thru friom somewere but i dunno. if your carrier
balance was outta adjustment id think it would show that reguardless
where the power is.can the power supply handle the radio?

where did you setup the gain in the stock mic at?i find its much more potent
to open this wide open you,ll know what way to go audio drops off quick
when turning it down, why i left mine wide open.the carrier you see
sounds like a rf coming thru friom somewere but i dunno. if your carrier
balance was outta adjustment id think it would show that reguardless
where the power is.can the power supply handle the radio?

iv tried everything externaly even none powered mics all with the same problem on ssb. well the VR107 or RV107 cannot be found so. i have no choice but to box it up and send it back.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.