• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Make your own A123 Battery Pack

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
So I seen on SEVERAL RC Car forums you can make your own battery packs.

I want to make one for field use with my QRP radio.

First, here is the battery I will use, 16 of them

Nominal voltage: 3.3V

Nominal capacity: 2.5Ah

A123BATTERY.jpg

This is how I ASSume it is wired. Let me know what you guys think??????

TOPJPGbattery.jpg

BOTTOMJPGbattery.jpg

They build Nanophosphate lithium ion batteries, this is like the latest tech in rechargeable battery's, I think they are using them in some of the new electric cars .

Jeff

I just went and looked at the Pack, only thing diff is they add a internal self-resetting polyswitch (to prevent short-circuits) and installed Anderson Powerpole connectors.
$285.00 for there product.......Just find the polyswitch and that is a big savings.

Jeff

Mouser has PolySwitches, I have no experience with those and have not figured out where in the circuit it would be installed and what size I need??????

In the + lead I would think, and choose one that is rated for say 15 volts.
How much current do you need....How much does the FT 817 draw?

The Polyswitch is placed in series with the Load

Raychem Circuit Protection’s PolySwitch™ Polymeric
Positive Temperature Coefficient (PPTC) devices are
used to help protect against harmful overcurrent
surges and overtemperature faults.
Like traditional fuses, these devices limit the flow of
dangerously high current during fault conditions.
The PolySwitch device, however, resets after the fault

Jeff

The TE AGRF1000 Operates at 16 volts The maximum voltage across the PolySwitch device under a typical fault condition. In many circuits, this is the voltage of the power source in the circuit. It may be possible to use a PolySwitch device at a higher voltage, but each such use must be individually qualified. The largest steady state current that, under specified ambient conditions ( ie room temp), can be passed through the PolySwitch device without causing the device to trip is 10 Amp.
These are typically used in automotive apps.
Product Highlights:Radial Application
Vmax Operating = 16 V
Family Name = AGRF
Radial Construction,
Through Hole Construction
IH (Room Temperature) = 10 A
Raychem
Jeff

Attachments

• pragrf1000.jpg
    pragrf1000.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 213
Oh ho, a 'li-po' battery. The R/C flyers have had them for some time, they weigh less than other types. I remember that they were not that 'simple' to use because of the charging etc, and they just aren't that cheap. I didn't/don't have to worry about weight with the R/C'ing I do so never researched them much.
Those 'Polyswitches' are neat sounding 'doo-gees'! I can see where they could really come in handy.
- 'Doc

(Be careful with those 'li-po' batteries, they do not like water at all. They are sealed not to keep stuff in, but to keep stuff out.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.