• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maxlog M-8800

Yes they are very stable and the locals like the audio on the stock mic which makes a saving of a power mic. Really anything I have owned a radio with an elecret condenser mic anything else sounds crummy

Attachments

• br9200 dark pic.jpg
    br9200 dark pic.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 18
maxlog 8800

Hey Tom,
is this the first of these radios that you can't change the colour on?
I was told that our radios have a hardware mic gain control...wonder what he took off to do that? I guess thats why they were late. Still no news on the software side of things...Should be down in kiwi a a few days so will let mike sort it out and let us know. if they are stable and sound good on SSB who gives a shit what they look like....I think the knob placement on these will be an improvement on the anytones but need to try it for a while first...
Hope they didn't screw things up with the mic gain mod!!!

On the front is a power control and rf gain no mic gain and the program does not have mic gain in it. I did program mine last night the way I like it with the program they zip filed to me and it worked. No color changing, thank you. The recieve is very good but a lot like the anytone, you need to back it up a little to prevent bleed over from close stations. If the price is right I am sure they will sell, just a shame that it doesn't do 50 watts or so. In my mobile I run the Optima with nothing and talk skip from Germany to California. Not sure if a 25 watt radio will do that and I really don't want to install an amp.

Attachments

• br9200 dark pic.jpg
    br9200 dark pic.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 8
Power

I am sure Mike will be able to get 40w out of one...but in all honesty I prefer to keep the radio down and run an amp..that way they both run cool and sweet.
As long as the audio is punchy they will get out OK with the 25w in today's skip conditions, but talking locally may be challenging without the extra grunt.
Hearing rumours of a maxlog 8900 which I suspect may be their take on the cre 8900. At maxlog prices to Boot!! No pictures yet.
cheers,
Dave

Well Dave I'm with you, I'm sure I could tweek another 10 watts out of it but sure don't want to blow it up in a month so I will leave it at the 30 and just use it that way maybe with a small amp also. I went over it again today and there is no Mic Gain that can be adjusted with the function control. Bad deal on their part.

I was just reading the Transmission forum, they are all making fun of the MaxLog 8800, guess a lot of old timers like the old Cobra like radios and are not in tune with a new radio with SMT and computer programable. I will say been using my 8800 going on day 4 and really like it. Talked from Germany to Hawaii yesterday from here in New Jersey. How much better than that can you get.

looks

I hated the looks the first time I saw the picture , something different ! I don't think the pictures do It justice, I like the looks now ,maybe Iv'e grown used to it!. It works well thats what counts! Curious about the mic Tom .All the documentation said it's a low impedance dynamic, quick look inside and I saw a large capsule so I assumed that was correct. Put the meter on it ,volts at the insert, It a electret, same as yours. Guess they haven't changed the manual yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.