• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-1026 Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer Review

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
As a city dwelling ham radio operator, one of the most common problems I face is trying to deal with all of the interference that is constantly present. It's not uncommon for me to pick up noise produced by nearby plasma TVs, power lines, pool pumps, air conditioning units, and who knows what else. I even get noise from a relatively new LCD TV that is in the other room! (As soon as I can find a buyer for THAT thing, it's gone!) I'm constantly looking for improved noise blanker and noise reduction circuitry in modern rigs or ways to filter the noise out completely. I had read various blogs about the MFJ-1026 "Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer" and decided that I would like to give it a try. I contacted MFJ to see if they would be willing to send me a unit to try out as a product review for the site and they agreed.

1738-1308883538-cecb3be6c19469f29bf29b9b9db440d6.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, the unit is fairly small, although it's a bit larger than I was expecting. It looks good sitting on top of my Elecraft K3, which also makes a pretty good location where I can adjust the controls while watching the S meter. The face of the 1026 is about the same dimension as a Yaesu FT-897D transceiver's face. Here is a picture of what's inside:

1734-1308883515-f0396190976fd4c2a82f2aebc94b485f.jpg

Theory of Operation

The operator's manual covers this topic very well, but I'll provide a brief summary to set the stage for the remaining discussion. The MFJ-1026 requires two antennas to work; one is used solely as a receive antenna and the other is your main operating antenna. The requirements of the receive antenna are very simple: it basically needs to hear the same noise as your regular antenna. When the same noise is present on both antennas, the unit allows you to adjust the phase delay of the receive antenna up to 180 degrees until the unwanted noise is nulled out from the primary antenna. You can also use this system to peak a signal, or even "steer" the RX direction of your antenna array, assuming you have the necessary antenna configuration.

Interfacing the MFJ-1026

There are basically three ways to interface the 1026 with your transceiver. Before I cover those three methods, we first need to take a look at the back of the unit:

1736-1308883515-a92e0e572b42af086dad3b158b4f8f29.jpg

The connections are fairly self explanatory. "Main Antenna" connects to your main TX/RX antenna. "Radio" connects to your transceiver. In the most basic installation method, you would simply connect the "Radio" port to your transceiver's HF port, attach an ample ground connection to the 1026 (for lightning / static protection) and use the built in telescoping antenna whip for the 1026's RX noise antenna.

It is strongly recommended that you use the "T/R Control" port to interface with either the transmit relay of from the transceiver or a manual switch. Doing so ensures that the 1026 is bypassed during transmit. With most modern transceivers you could simply use a an RCA cable to your rig's relay port. If you have an amplifier in line, a simple Y RCA splitter would do the trick. For those that like to use a foot switch, the Heil foot switch has an additional cable attached that will perform the same function. The device also has the ability to sense a transmission directly from the transceiver and trigger the bypass without the use of the relay cable. You adjust the "T/R Delay" knob on the front of the unit for a comfortable recovery time after you let off they key. To reiterate, even though the unit has this capability, it is strongly recommended that you use the relay cable method.

Using the supplied telescoping whip will work if you are dealing with a very localized noise source. However, for 99% of users, it won't be a sufficient RX antenna, which is why "Auxiliary Antenna" ports are supplied. I tried a few different receive antennas, but finally settled on running an approximate 80 meter horizontal loop around the property at about 12 feet high. Fed by simple parallel line into the "Auxiliary Antenna" jack, this inexpensive wire antenna has worked pretty well. More on the RX antennas I tried later. Before using an external antenna, you need to pop the cover off of the unit and change a jumper. The manual is quite clear on the different jumper settings, so I won't explain them in detail here. Here is a picture of the jumpers you need to set:

1735-1308883515-475d1610dfc3361b4d9bd4b8a34885a5.jpg

The third method for interfacing the rig is probably the best method, but it requires an advanced transceiver like an Elecraft K3. If your rig has the ability to put an external RX preamp inline, you simply insert the MFJ-1026 into the preamp chain. Using this method, you don't have to worry about bypassing the 1026 during TX because no transmitted signal is ever sent to the device. Here is a schematic outlining the hookup procedure, courtesy of Steve, N4LQ. Note that he also is using an external RX antenna, as shown in the diagram:

1739-1308883538-139f2133cf8d55a32304233931aec94e.jpg

The other nice thing about using this method with the K3 is that you only have to hit the RX ANT button on the rig to put the 1026 in play. The rig remembers which bands you use it on, which is also convenient.

Important Installation Considerations

There are a couple of important installation notes buried in the manual that need to be emphasized.

First, the unit is only able to handle about 100 watts of input power. If you place the 1026 inline with the TX antenna and also use an amplifier, you must place the MFJ-1026 between the transceiver and the amp.

Second, the unit can only tolerate a VSWR of about 2:1. The unit must be placed before any antenna tuner which might be problematic if you're running a rig with a built in antenna tuner. Fortunately with the K3 hookup method that I'm using, this is a moot issue, but it could be a big problem for some potential users.

Next up, I'll describe how to actually use the device, as well as show some videos of it in action.

Stay tuned.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

How You Use It

Now that I've covered how to hook up the MFJ-1026, I'll cover how you use it. The method is fairly basic, but it does take a little practice. Remember, you really only need to turn on the unit when you need to get rid of some unwanted noise. With the K3, I just leave it on all the time and punch the RX button to activate it.

First, set the Freq button to either High or Low depending on the band in use. Anything above 40 meters is considered high and you can you can use either setting for 40 meters. Now you need to get a reading on the noise. You turn the Auxiliary Antenna Gain knob all the way down to zero and turn the Main Antenna Gain knob all the way up to 10.

1742-1309921154-ce2221a9cb6148dc2fe2a18b1af1802e.jpg

Take a look at the S meter on your radio and remember the reading. Now, turn the Main Antenna Gain knob all the way down and start to turn up the Auxiliary Antenna Gain while watching the S meter.

1743-1309921154-51919f7261392697f5fd8b27c81c1c98.jpg

By the way, I find that I almost always need to have the Auxiliary Antenna pre-amp turned on to get the signal on the Aux antenna to match the main antenna. Your results will vary depending on what you're using for a RX antenna. As you slowly turn up the Auxiliary Antenna Gain, watch the S meter. When the reading on your S meter is the same as it was for the Main Antenna reading, stop adjusting the Aux. antenna gain.

Now, turn the Main Antenna gain back up and stop when you see the S meter just start to increase over it's present setting.

1744-1309921530-08038ffc1305c3b47139d0b44590025d.jpg

I can usually just turn the Main antenna gain all the way back up, which is the ideal scenario. Depending on your RX antenna, you may not be able to get the Aux. Antenna Gain to produce the same level of signal as the main antenna. In this case, you will have to decrease the Main antenna gain to match. This situation isn't ideal because you are decreasing the overall gain of the antenna into your receiver.

Once you've adjusted the antennas' gain, slowly adjust the Phase knob until you hear the noise null out. If you can't find the sweet spot, change the Phase button between the "Normal" and "Invert" setting and sweep the Phase knob through it's range again. If you've adjusted the antennas' gain properly, you should be able to make the noise go away.

1745-1309921530-ccb023ba32b5a812de0110423383b431.jpg

Remember, the MFJ-1026 has to hear the noise on the Auxilliary Antenna input to be able to null it. If you can't seem to get the noise to go away, try adjusting whichever gain knob is set lower by turning it up slightly. Usually I find that when I can't null the noise, I didn't get the Aux. antenna gain turned up quite high enough.

So does it work? In a word, yes. It takes a little practice to get the procedure down, but once you do the results can be amazing. I have found that there are a few types of noise that just can't be completely nulled out, but in many cases what it does get rid of goes a long way toward helping the rig's NR or NB do it's job better. I'll discuss my findings on this topic after I discuss auxiliary receive antennas in the next post.

Choosing an Auxiliary Receive Antenna

When choosing the auxiliary receive antenna, it's helpful to understand the source of the noise that you're dealing with. The MFJ-1026 comes with a 19" internal telescoping whip antenna that can be used for the extra antenna. However, unless you're trying to deal with noise that is radiating from somewhere in the same room, you'll quickly find that a better, external antenna is necessary. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise. Remember, if the MFJ-1026 cannot hear the interference nearly as strong on the auxiliary antenna as it can on the main antenna, it cannot phase it out.

I get a fair amount of noise that radiates from within my own house. I've been able to eliminate a fair amount, but some of it is just problematic. The 42" Vizio LCD TV in the next room puts out a god awful noise on 14.195 Mhz, as well as a few other frequencies. (That thing is going to get sold soon! ). I also get some noise from the central air conditioner and various ethernet network devices. I'm pretty certain that much of the other noise I receive is from nearby neighbors and various city electrical issues (I've hunted down a bunch of bad city lights that I've reported over the years).

As you can tell, most of my noise is fairly localized, so with inspiration from G4ILO's blog, I decided to order the Wonder Wand whip antenna to try out as my auxiliary indoor antenna. (A future review will be devoted to this antenna). With this antenna, I was able to successfully filter out many of the noise sources on 20 meters and above. However, I had very little success getting rid of the strong LCD TV noise on 14.195 Mhz, and virtually no success on 40 or 80 meters. To be honest, I really didn't expect much different on the lower bands.

I really needed to find a way to filter out the interference on 75 meters because one noise source's output is right on one of the MARS frequencies I use frequently. My next antenna attempt was to use the Superantenna MP1 vertical indoors with the 80 meter coil attached. Admittedly, the ground plane I configured was pretty poor, but I was just hoping it would pick up the noise source well enough to work. It did not.

I decided to stop fooling around and string up a wire antenna that I thought would do the trick. I found some small parallel speaker wire in my wire box and used that as the feed line out of the shack to a full wave 80 meter loop that I ran around the back yard, on top if the fences, through the trees, and laying on the roof. The antenna averages about 10 feet off the ground and because part of the loop runs across the top of the house where some of the noise originates, it picks it up quite well. I didn't worry about making the length of the antenna element perfect, just close enough for what it's for. With this antenna, I can now filter out just about any noise that is present! The best part about this receive antenna is that it is also stealth, and it cost next to nothing.

The manual states that the best scenario is to have two antennas that are of the same polarization, but this can be problematic on a small city lot. You also need to have some separation from them to keep a strong transmitted signal from entering the auxiliary receive. There are a few active receive antennas available that would probably work well, but they come at some expense. Realistically, you could probably use any fairly long wire to get the job done. The trick is to get the antenna big enough to hear the noise on the bands you need and oriented in a way so that it receives the interference at a decent level. The pre-amp feature in the 1026 is definitely worth the extra few dollars to help out the RX system.

More to come...

I also found that an outdoor antenna worked a lot better for me with the Timewave ANC-4, but most of the interference I'm battling is outside. I know life keeps us busy, but any updates on how the MFJ-1026 is working for you?

The MFJ-1026 continues to impress with how well it actually works. Today I took a few audio clip samples so you can hear it for yourself. All of these clips are recorded from an Elecraft K3 with the NR turned on, using Ham Radio Deluxe

The first clip is on 40 meters AM mode. I found a really annoying buzzing sound that made for a perfect audio demonstration of the noise canceler. This buzz is so powerful that even the K3 noise reduction can't help much. Listen as I switch on the MFJ-1026 at about the 5 second mark, turn it back off at 10 seconds, and then on again at 15 seconds.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/misc/MFJ-1026_clip_1.mp3

The second clip is also on 40 meters but it is LSB mode. This is a completely different type of noise that is often produced by the central air conditioning in my house. This noise sounds like someone has a microphone placed in a windy area while transmitting. It's subtle, but the MFJ-1026 cleans it up. In this clip you can hear 5 seconds of the noise followed by 5 seconds of the MFJ-1026 turned on and the sequence is repeated. Turn your speakers up on this one.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/misc/mfj-1026_clip_2.mp3

This third clip is on 20 meters. There is a faint station talking in the background that is difficult to copy. With the buzzing noise, you are almost not able to copy. Listen as I switch the MFJ-1026 on and off repeatedly, which kills the buzzing and allows you to barely copy the station talking about a microphone.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/misc/mfj-1026_clip_3_with_ RX_ station.mp3

As you can see this device works remarkably well!

I just posted a video demonstrating the use and principles of operation in this thread:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/product-...nceling-signal-enhancer-video.html#post305338

After using this unit for a month or so, I can honestly say that this is one of the most valued devices in my shack. With it, I am able to copy DX stations that have previously been covered up by local interference. I've been able to use frequencies that have been "off limits" to me for quite some time due to local plasma / lcd tvs and power line noise. I haven't found many noise sources that I can't null out completely, and those that don't completely go away are reduced to a level that the transceiver can easily handle with it's own NR and NB circuits.

In summary, if you're a ham radio operator in a city, this device is a must have. It would be awesome if this functionality were built into some transceivers, but until then, the MFJ-1026 is a no-brainer, must have accessory for me.

How would this compare to a dsp speaker

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

The scientific answer is "it depends". I have both DSP speakers and the MFJ-1026. I have some offending noise that the DSPs inside of either rigs or speakers just can't deal with for whatever reason. With the 1026, if it can hear the offensive noise on the RX antenna, I can usually get rid of it. They both have their purposes and IMO both have uses in the shack. Think of each like just another weapon in your arsenal.

do you think this will all so help with this kind of interference? $200 is a lot of money and i just want to make sure this will kill the interference for me i have been dealing with this for 5 years now..
affecting all bands in some way but mostly 10,11,12

i have 2 antennas an imax2000 and a A99 if i setup the A99 as a receiving antenna and i am taking to some locals. Will the MFJ box see there single as some thing to null out?

i switch to AM 1:30 in to the video...

Last edited:
Question about the 1026 with the MFJ959C:
IF I use the 959C in conjunction with the 1026, which of my two antennae would be best to run through the 959C, the main antenna or the "noise/sensing" antenna?

My main antenna is an MLA-30. My sensing antenna would be a rain gutter antenna that senses 5 to 10 dBm more noise than the main. The gutter antenna is tied to a 9:1 balun.

Last edited:
What type of antenna "noise sensing" antenna is best to use with the 1026 in combination with the main antenna which is a MLA-30 active loop? My backyard courtyard is small and I have an HOA, so I need to remain fairly stealthy.

I was wondering if a second MLA-30 or an unpowered loop would be best, and if so, what is a minimum distance from the main antenna?

Right now my "noise sensing" antenna is a rain gutter. I'm not getting good results from that, understandably.

My hypothesis so far is either I don't have the right kind of noise for the 1026 to effectively reduce, or I don't have the right kind of noise sensing antenna.

I could use this now, but the issue with only being able to handle a 2:1 SWR AS IS will be an issue. I'm using a 160M Loop now and relying on the radio's internal tuner to work the bands. Looks like I'd have to employ an outboard tuner to use full time and adjust every time I wanted to change bands ..... and I use all of them everyday. Not sure I want to go to that expense and trouble.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?