• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-1026 Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer Video

Whoa; lotsa questions:

Why was a loop antenna chosen used to be the phase difference antenna instead of using another antenna like you have now? Would have thought you would use the same kind of antenna 90 degrees apart and then using the MFJ unit for balance. What were the reasons for using a loop? Loop antennas are supposed to be quieter anyway. Or is more of active dummy load than a practical antenna/phase cancelling unit?

Is there any difference in RX gain between running two different antennas besides noise reduction?

Does it change the TX for the better or worse?

Is that TX/RX gain scenario frequency dependent?

Whoa; lotsa questions:

Why was a loop antenna chosen used to be the phase difference antenna instead of using another antenna like you have now? Would have thought you would use the same kind of antenna 90 degrees apart and then using the MFJ unit for balance. What were the reasons for using a loop? Loop antennas are supposed to be quieter anyway. Or is more of active dummy load than a practical antenna/phase cancelling unit?

It was chosen Because it was practical in my situation. I can't put up another inverted V for all bands on the property. Also, I know from driving around hunting for noise sources that most of the noise I have to deal with is within a close enough distance to my QTH that a loop would pick it up.

Is there any difference in RX gain between running two different antennas besides noise reduction?
Yes. However adjusting the Auxiliary antenna gain on the MFJ-1026 in conjunction with the pre-amp has worked out pretty good.

Does it change the TX for the better or worse?
The MFJ-1026 is disabled on TX. That's the point of the T/R sensing circuit and the transmit relay circuit, or hooking it up like I did using an antenna pre-out. It has no affect on the transmit signal

Is that TX/RX gain scenario frequency dependent?

It's a RX gain situation and yes, it depends on the antenna. Remember, the MFJ-1026 only needs to hear the noise on the Auxiliary antenna, NOT the actual intended RX signal. Because of that, a wide variety of antennas can work.

Tim, are you using a loop cut for any specific frequency, or is it just a random wire loop?
Any way to show us what the loop looks like?

Jeff

I'll see if I can get a picture of part of it. It's pretty close to an 80 meter loop, although I didn't worry about getting it exact. I measured out the length and said, "close enough to 80m for what I need it for". I just used some small speaker wire, using the wire itself as parallel feed line. It's run around the property on the fence, epoxied to the wall, through the trees, and laying on the roof. The important point is that or the auxiliary antenna, you probably don't need anything fancy; just something that can pick up the noise at about the same level as your other antenna.

i bought one. now the noise is gone. so i don't need it. its still new in the box.
200 dollars collecting dust. lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated