• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moonraker 4 vs. 6

M

musky1963

I currently use a Moonraker 4 but have a possible opportunity to get a 6. Is it really worth the effort? Is there that much of a difference between the 4 & 6? What is the boom length and wind load of the M-6? Are the big boys likely to come crashing down due to their massive size and questionable hardware/materials used?

If I had a choice, I would go with the 6 and just use the horizontal side. There would be more gain with the 6 and it would surely out talk your present 4 element.

If you could find the spec's on a Maco 6 element then check the boom length and it maybe fairly close the M.R. 6 element.

How's that old saying go......."bigger is better"!?

Whoops..got to go, Montana skip coming in.
---------------
DXman

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I remember in the lste 70s or early 80s when guys around here had these antennas the 6 always seem to out talk the 4 all the time. Alot of the guys all had the same amplifiers but the 6 element beams seemed to make a big difference in skip and local talking. later,Mike.

I remember in the lste 70s or early 80s when guys around here had these antennas the 6 always seem to out talk the 4 all the time. Alot of the guys all had the same amplifiers but the 6 element beams seemed to make a big difference in skip and local talking. later,Mike.

Which is better? DEPENDS!

(NOTE: IV = 4 ; VI = 6)

I have owned both of these antennas. For my money, I wouldn't look any further than the Moonraker IV. The VI is only an extended version of the IV, with more weight.

You can download the manuals for both here:
http://www.cbtricks.com/ant.htm

The Moonraker VI is a big, long antenna. They should have used a larger boom! A minimum of a 2" at least. The fiberglass boom supports break over a period of time. The hardware to secure these fiberglass rods are also a nightmare. I threw mine away and used Phillystran to support the boom. Once up, the Moonraker VI worked great, but what a nightmare! Mechanically, it is inferior to the Moonraker IV.

This is not to say that it is a bad antenna. Performance wise, the VI performs as advertised. But in the end, you have a big antenna fed with a gamma match (lossy). You could do better!

I would ask, what do you want a Moonraker VI for? Would you be better off with a flat 6 or a flat 7?

My argument in favor of the Moonraker IV over the VI are as follows:

1. Smaller and lighter; easier to put up!
2. Easier to turn!
3. Performs excellent for both local (vertical) and skip
(horizontal) communications.
4. Does not have the bulky boom supports!
5. Mechanically superior to the VI! (same parts, less stress)

So, the VI does perform better than the IV, but not enough to overcome its shortcomings; in MY opinion. Both are great antennas!

If you look at just the gain of the antenna the 4 element is the best bang for the buck. it may not have the gain of the 6 but if look at weight,wind load and size the 4 elemnet gets my vote. I can not justfy twice the size for about 2 db worth of forward gain just my 2 cents

r

I would go with the 4 - less weight, wind load and turning radius, and not that much less gain - as stated above. If you are in a hot spot instead of a dead spot and your whole setup from antenna to radio is done right - you will love that MoonRaker4... You won't have to go with a medium duty rotor with the 4 either, just a light duty rotor will work. I know a guy that has a M/R4 up about 60' using Aluminum poles and a tv antenna rotor, all well guyed of course. That antenna has been up for 3 years with no problems.

LoneWolf TN

Moonraker

I have had both antennas.The six is a little more work to keep it in the air, but the test that we ran back in the early eighties the six left the four in the dust.The front to back ratio was great on the six, I could turn it sideways to the local stations here and drop them right off of the map.When it came around to the back I had very little signal on them.I got out of the radio business for about 15 years, so I sold everything that I had.To me the six would be the way to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.