• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More power in a Cobra

Sure - get a 100 watt linear.
Other than that - don't expect power gains out of a radio that is built to conform to FCC specifications. If tweaked and peaked properly with the stock parts on board, one can only expect a couple of extra and dirty watts. It is better to have it turned DOWN a little bit - and then add a 100 kicker. Or more. I prefer the 100 watt - btw...

I have a friend of mine that hs a modded ('parts added') 25LTD. It S C R E A M S ! ! !

The overall audio quality, receive, and general performance can be improved over stock. Remember, a stock radio is "ballparked" in on the assembly line. A complete alignment of the radio is a must. Beyond that there are many other options as far as swing kits, audio kits, and final swaps. If you want substantial power improvement an amplifier would be the best choice. A proper tune is still needed though to set the carrier right for the amplifier you get.

9C1Driver has it right. Proper tune and alignment and a quality microphone will work great. I had a stock radio I used out of the box for years. I always thought it talked great. After I had it peaked and tuned it was like it was a new radio. The local guy that tuned it said it was way off frequency with little modulation. It was my first CB and old Uniden 510XL. Our local tech said it was 2 watt DK with swing to 7 watts. The peak and tune puts it at 5 watts swinging to 21 watts. I was a little sceptical, because I had used it for years so I had Bob F. of Bob's CB I-80, PA check it for me when I was in the area. Bob put it on his bench and his only reply wa nothing needs done- someone already tuned it up. Proper tune & alignment is the way to go, if it had not already been done.

And Bob's is one of the few you can trust. Sounds like you have a decent local guy to work with too there squirrel. Those Uniden 510xl's are rocking little radio's for their size.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.