• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Multi-band Low-pass Filter Kit for unfiltered amps

Seriously though, if anyone has some worthwhile input they would like to *RESPECTFULLY* submit, I am always eager to learn.

It's when people get up on their soapbox and bitch like they have something on everyone else that pisses me off. It's especially bad when they don't provide any explanation or reasoning to help inform people. *cough* Kamikaze *cough*

That kind of thing is a complete waste for everyone involved.

Also, I have experienced issues with the input SWR on the LPF kit above, however i do not have an L/C meter yet with which to measure the impedance of the coils.. They could be a ways off of their intended values. Also, Virgil (K5OOR) offers a LPF tune-up service for $20 that should result in a working LPF. He seems like a stand-up guy who has been more than willing to help me so far.

Gotta love them Trolls.. Kamikaze, you know what I'm talking about don't you.. You know, the trolls that talk shit but have zilch to back it up.. Trolls like you and 5R8GQ here. You guys should form a little club.

I await your schooling with bated breath! LOL!

I guarantee that I've forgotton more about radio than you will ever know old timer. 1993 lol.

I could put a working amp on the air that would far exceed the specs you will ever get out of an RM Zitaly for about ten bux and a little time.

There are people watching here and getting some real entertainment from you.

^Cool. (y)

Prove it. People are watching.. and waiting... and waiting.......... and waiting.

nuff said.

Let me repost:

Seriously though, if anyone has some worthwhile input they would like to *RESPECTFULLY* submit, I am always eager to learn.

It's when people get up on their soapbox and bitch like they have something on everyone else that pisses me off. It's especially bad when they don't provide any explanation or reasoning to help inform people. *cough* Kamikaze *cough*

That kind of thing is a complete waste for everyone involved.

Also, I have experienced issues with the input SWR on the LPF kit above, however I do not have an L/C meter yet with which to measure the impedance of the coils.. They could be a ways off of their intended values. Also, Virgil (K5OOR) offers a LPF tune-up service for $20 that should result in a working LPF. He seems like a stand-up guy who has been more than willing to help me so far.

Take it with a grain of salt, there are lots of people here and lots of opinions....

On the other side of the isle

Might try sharing info or ideas with some one rather than use large type and bold colors in your rant, really, the man is playing radio and learning just like all of us did at some point in the hobby.
Continue on gentleman.......

Jeff

WTF does BANDWIDTH have to do with harmonics??? :oops:

And like the guy said, RM Italy CB Amps like the KL Series,
the problem is IMD, not harmonics. They are CB JUNK pure and simple.
HLA Series not so bad, but still advertised pwr output is at overdriven devices.

You are fooling yourself if you think your "Quick and Dirty Mod"
will clean up IMD.

Look, I have this K5OOR LPF filter, OK.
It's a cute TOY!
It is nice for what it is, for 60 watts ICCS SSB,
but do NOT plan on using it even one watt over 100 watts, IF THAT.

Use it ONLY AT 100 watts PEAK on SSB, IF THAT.

Do NOT use it on heavy duty cycle modes, even 50-60 watts PSK31.

Those little crammed togther toroids on thin gauge wire get
VERY HOT, and
the relays are just too small for the job over time.

Also, BE SURE to check your input SWR into the K5OOR Filter Board,
especially on the low bands. Many have had problems there.

I understand restricted budgets,
But this is NO EXCUSE TO USE CB JUNK ON THE HAM BANDS.
We see this more and more as, especially in USA, the Code is eliminated, the
Technical Exams are Dumbed Down, and more and more CB'ers pour into hobby. .
:bdh:

CB'er in hobby is OK...AS long as they they don't bring their Old Wive's Tales
about electronics and amps, and their "pretend knowledge" to the hobby

Give up this project and build a real amplifier.
What is American expression?
You cannot build silks handbag out of pig's ear?

73, Ken 5R8GQ

Not bad for a first post Ken, aka AD6KA. I mean why not jump all over a guy and bash him in your first post. You must have thought you were on QRZ.com for a minute. AT LEAST GIVE THE GUY CREDIT FOR TRYING! Not everyone has big bucks to spend and was born with great electronics knowledge. I understand your concerns, and I have the same regarding crappy signals on the bands, but why not educate politely rather than use multi colored bold print and bash right out of the gate. Then again since you live in California,albeit it L.A not San Fransisco, and have displayed a liking for multiple colors and even have a rainbow pictured in your qrz.com avatar perhaps you are struggling with other issues of your own. :blink:

Sorry but I just like to bash those that bash others on their first post. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry but I just like to bash those that bash others on their first post.
You Got a Bad attitude Dude!

Jeff

Attachments

• attitude2.gif
    attitude2.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 360
Sorry Jeff but it's all I have left since my illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator went into the shop for repairs. :tongue:

You do realize that the latest version of the Q36 in un-modifiable don't you? Yep, Radio Shack negotiated a deal..blah, blah , blah.

Anyway,...still waiting for 5R8GQ (alias nce extra class call) to reply. Over.

In my opinion he came out of the gate swinging. As GLR would say "very bad natured". :LOL:

I will reserve comment on the Gay color use issue for now.

OK, so now that the drama has subsided (for now lol) here's a final update..

IT'S DONE!!

Once I had my hands on a good L/C meter I was able to tune the toroids for a very acceptable input SWR of 1.5 or less across all bands. Took her for a test drive with a buddy of mine on 20 and 40m and it seem to do wonderfully, although no one I know has a spectrum analyzer so I can't say what the output actually looks like.

The toroids do get a bit warm under extended high-duty operation, but nothing that seemed overly bad to me. All in all I'm more than happy!

Here's a couple pics (a smaller knob is in order, along with some labeling):

LPF-DONE.jpg

LPF-DONEinterior.jpg

That doesn't look bad at all, especially for the price. It'll handle 500W, which is quite a bit more than this kit will handle. It also includes 6m so that's a bonus. I'd go for it if you've got the cash..

I looked at them because of the frequency readout and power /swr ETC I thought it would be handy for project amplifiers. Its still not like building one yourself but I thought aswell for the price it wasnt to shabby but I dont know anyopne who has had one.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.