• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My 2012 Labor Day Ham Radio Station

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I took the family out to a local RV campground in the mountains this past Labor Day weekend and took my KX3 with me. My wife snapped this pic of me operating the KX3, Buddipole, and HamLog app on my iPad:

moleculo-albums-miscellaneous-picture3526-camping-elecraft-kx3-buddipole-ipad.jpg

I operated off and on all weekend as I had lulls in family activities, using the Zippy 4S2P LifePo4 battery pack for power. A solid hour+ working the Colorado QSO party on 20m with 10 watts on phone got me about 15 contacts. This KX3 really is the ultimate portable HF rig. Combined with the Buddipole, you really can operate anywhere and the battery pack lasted the whole weekend on one charge. Granted, I wasn't operating all day, but a few hours each day and the battery is putting out 12.9 volts while I'm listening to 75m right now.

qrp

Pretty neat setup.
I've thought about getting a KX3 and still thinking about it.
I have a IC-703+ that I use with a 40 OCF.
When I'm outside I just use the car battery with a cig lighter plug.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.