• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Cobra 29 LX issue... assistance needed please.

DakAttack

Oct 15, 2017
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have lurked forums for the past few weeks getting information here and there. But i haven't been able to find an answer to this besides something like a line filter. But its not really about just general noise picked up from the truck, theres very little to begin with. I have a few Cobra 29 lx's. One is stock, the one i'm working on WAS stock, and then i'm repairing another. This is a new hobby i've picked up so bear with me. Please, I'm just looking for advice. Not your opinions on whether or not i should be trying to mod my radio. Its fun to me and its already done. So...

I bought the radio in stock form and worked fine. I installed an IRF 529 mosfet kit and Hi-Fi receive kit. I installed the Hi-Fi kit first and it subdued the regular noise pretty well, but it seemed as though it had quieted everything a little more. I wasnt able to bring my cal meter up to where it needed to be either.

Then, I then installed the mosfet kit and it amplified everything to where when nobody was talking I would have to turn the volume down a LOT. But if i did that I could not hear anyone hardly. And if I turn it up, the amplified noise would completely drown out a weak signal, and most anyone talking I could barely hear. I can hear people but still the noise is way too loud. The best way to explain it I guess would be that I can hear people, but the noise overpowers 90% of them.

I've also just recently installed the schottky diode kit to try fix this but it hasn't helped.

What I've done :cautious:
Mosfet Upgrade;
IRF520
R56 --> diode kit (1n914+470ohm resistor) diode towards front
C53 --> 3.3k resistor
C61 --> removed
C62 --> 100pf across it
R55 --> Removed and installed 22pf
C71 --> Removed and installed 82UF cap (polarity is correct)
C42 --> Removed and replaced with 2200UF cap (polarity is correct)
C59 --> 68pf installed on reverse side (had to increase power)

HiFi
C33 --> .1uF mylar
C40 --> .1uF mylar
C48 --> 1000uf electrolytic (polarity correct)
C39 --> 22uf electrolytic (polarity correct)

C37 --> .1uf mylar
C43 --> empty when i got my radio
C68 --> .33uf tantalum ( + towards right side of radio on component side)
C69 --> .1uf Mylar
C125 --> .001uF mylar

My question is would anyone know what I should look at to remedy this? I may just undo everything I've done and put it back to stock. But for now I will begin with removing the Hi-Fi kit.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from y'all!

personally I do not like the receive mods due to it just bringing in all the hash noise. you might try aligning the L cans for the receive and see if you can tone it down. just like a amp with the preamp for the receive when you turn it on if you have a 1 s unit noise level it just amplify's it to a 6 or 9 s unit on your receive, the only RX mods I like is the diode and trans install for the 1st RX area.
the mosfet out put mod is fine and the diodes for the receive is fine. I just do not like the high RX mods.
maybe some one else will jump in on this.

Thanks for your reply Sonoma. I actually did revert the receive mod back to the stock layout last night after I posted. I just got home so I’ll go test it out here in a few.

Ok, so I just got back inside a few minutes ago. With the MOSFET in, Schottky kit in, and the HiFi tx/rx mods removed... the amplified noise has definitely gone away. I adjusted the L pots a little here and there to get the clearest audio without quieting them and I feel pretty satisfied so far.

On a side note it appears that my radio has the 29 LBT board in an LX chassis. And I don’t know if people can hear me, the cal is only half way on ch 40 but I can max it out on ch 1. It may just be that they don’t give me a chance to talk, they just key up as soon as the other lets off. But so far the receive and sound quality is great.

The only downside is that I have LED headlight bulbs and causes pretty loud static when they’re on no matter what radio I use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.