• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First CB Radio Contact

While not my first CB/11-meter contact, this was certainly the most memorable one. In fact, it was the one that made me decide to pursue my ham ticket.

One evening, (circa 1978) I was monitoring 27.4050 MHz USB with my pride and joy, a Royce 1-639 w/an Astatic mobile D-104 mic. My antenna was a Wilson V58 up abt 25 ft. I heard a weak signal that I now know to be have been fluttering. I made contact, exchanged signal reports and names, when she told me that her QTH was Japan. I don't think I really believed her but gave her my P.O. box anyway.

Well, approx. 3 weeks later, I received a QSL card with an odd return address, APO... something or other. I would later learn that she was a USAF "service-person" stationed at Kadena AFB on the island of Okinawa. That QSO w/12W is probably the reason I gravitated to QRP when I got my ticket. Simply amazing and somewhat "magical," what can be done with just a little bit of Rf and some wire.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

While not my first CB/11-meter contact, this was certainly the most memorable one. In fact, it was the one that made me decide to pursue my ham ticket.

One evening, (circa 1978) I was monitoring 27.4050 MHz USB with my pride and joy, a Royce 1-639 w/an Astatic mobile D-104 mic. My antenna was a Wilson V58 up abt 25 ft. I heard a weak signal that I now know to be have been fluttering. I made contact, exchanged signal reports and names, when she told me that her QTH was Japan. I don't think I really believed her but gave her my P.O. box anyway.

Well, approx. 3 weeks later, I received a QSL card with an odd return address, APO... something or other. I would later learn that she was a USAF "service-person" stationed at Kadena AFB on the island of Okinawa. That QSO w/12W is probably the reason I gravitated to QRP when I got my ticket. Simply amazing and somewhat "magical," what can be done with just a little bit of Rf and some wire.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Cool!
I know without a doubt that radio will be a growing hobby for me from now on that rates all the way up the ladder to the level fishing now enjoys. I never dreamed I would have another hobby that could even compare to fishing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated