• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Saturday Power Supply Project - MFJ 75 Amp Switching Supply

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
When MFJ came out with their new 75 amp switching power supply for $259, I immediately wanted one. I got one in last week and decided to make a project out of replacing my mess of larger power supplies to free up some space. After I use this supply for a while, I post a more detailed review with pics of the inside, but until then check out these before and after pics.

This picture shows the underneath of my radio table with a 100 amp power supply, a Tripp Lite 20 amp supply and a Pyramid 14 amp supply. Off to the left out of the shot, there is a power supply for the Ameritron ALS-1300 and a Mirage 200 watt 2 meter amplifier sitting on top it.

moleculo-albums-mfj-power-supply-picture3161-before-mfj-75-amp-supply.jpg

Here is the end result after replacing the 100 amp supply with the MFJ 75 amp.

moleculo-albums-mfj-power-supply-picture3162-after-mfj-75-amp-supply.jpg

The 100 amp linear supply took up so much room that when I put the MFJ 75 amp switching supply in it's place, I had room to move the Ameritron amp supply and the Mirage VHF amp back under the table. I also decided to do away with the Tripp Lite 20 amp and utilize the various connectors on the front of the MFJ amp. I really don't need the little 14 amp Pyramid, but for now I decided to leave it to power miscellaneous small current products.

What a difference!

You wouldn't like the bill to ship it to you, though. There's a little sticker on the front that says it weighs 115 pounds!!

That's exactly what I thought when you said it was a linear type supply. Then again YOU could always pay the shipping simply to get rid of it :laugh: I have a Tripp-Lite 40 amp supply and a Motorola 25 amp supply which is really all I need along with my 50 volt 60 amp switcher for my 6m amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated