• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NA1SS

I'm going to try to contact the ISS, in the next day or two.

What would you say is the proper protocol for contact?

I've heard people calling CQ, and I have heard others saying QRZ (You are being called by....)

Which is the proper way, or the one that is used most?

Thank you

~Brian (KG6EAK)

I called like every call,
NA1SS, this is Kd0FQX EN00 (grid) Mobile (cause I was mobile at the time). Cmdr confirmed my call. Then I cleared.
I wouldn't call CQ to NA1SS because you are trying to contact a specific station.

what are the frequencies they are using or what do we want to monitor?? I never tried either but my kids have wanted to do it since they have been licensed and I figured we could go ahead and just get it done ;)

Downlink is 145.800 and uplink is 144.49

It is a challenge, You will have no problem hearing the ISS "loud and clear" as Col Wheelock puts it. Its getting through all the competition most of the time. I am fairly sure they only run one mode at a time so if you hear packet traffic on 145.825, there probably won't be voice contacts

1st contact a bust... I only had a 4 minute window.. I faintly heard voices. I think it was just up too high... 2nd pass @ 2:01 MDT. 7 minute window on that one....

Did you get through on the last pass 2143-2150Z for me, I could hear them but couldn't get through? The other passes were just AX.25/APRS packet. Trust me, if there is voice traffic from the ISS on 145.800 a scanner with a rubber duck should be able to hear it even on a low pass.

K8YSE has an impressive setup for sats but here is his recording of his contact with the ISS
http://www.papays.com/sat/ISS_11Jul2010_220006z.mp3

He probably had to record it with an HT, his normal satellite antennas would have probably overloaded his receiver

Good luck, have fun, 73

I didn't get through...I didn't try either..It's about 110 outside, and I decided to wait a while. I'm going to try on the 00:51 - 00:58 (1851-1858MDT) pass here in about 20 minutes or so....

If not, I'll try again tomorrow....I'm just having fun. Laying out my compass, and marking directions, attempting to hear things...Very relaxing for me...I have my scanner set up with just the up/downlinks programmed in. Audio cable from the headphone jck, to the MIC jack, on my tape recorder, which I can hook up to the computer, and make an MP3 file of the pass (If I do indeed make contact)..

Thanks for checking in

~Brian (KG6EAK/DM37ie)

OK, I have a NOOB question. I hit the ARISS digipeater with a beacon (I rcvd my TX in my Station List) and got the following responses which showed up in the recent activity at Amateur Radio Stations heard via ISS :
00:02:03:27 : KB1GVR]APU25N,RS0ISS-4*,qAS,W4AEJ-5::KF5HOW-7 :hi de mark{65
00:02:04:02 : KB8CMW]CQ,RS0ISS-4*,PAUL,EM89,qAS,W4AEJ-5:]cpy KF5how-7 de Ohio
I only copied the one from KB8CMW on the radio. When I checked FindU, both of these messages were there, but my TX wasn't on the list of recent activity, my callsign wasn't in the "Station List" table, nor was I shown on the map. My digipath settings are: Wide1-1,Wide2-2,ARISS. So here's the question:

Why didn't my TX show up anywhere on FindU? I know it went through since my radio received it and 2 other people sent replies.

Any help would be appreciated.

KF5HOW

Just use ARISS for the digi path when you are trying for the ISS. Can you see what digi forwarded your message that put your own call on your station list? What radio?

With your digi settings, you probably got digipeated through a land based digi(WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2), using ARISS only eliminates this possibility. It happened to me on an early attempt(ISS is back on thread). The reason you only received one of the messages on your radio is probably because the other one was probably transmitted/digipeated when a stronger station transmitted at the same time or your antenna wasn't aimed correctly if you are using an arrow/beam.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.