• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need advice on how to properly install large boom antenna on roof tower

Dont confuse issue with detail:
mount the m-107 0r m-108 that does have the 37.5 and the 40 foot boom
on the tower and the ground plane goes on another tower away from the beam.
and yes there are some flatside beams that are longer than 40 foot
for 11meter or "cb channels"

read read and read and learn and write down and remember.

have a few engineers on hand that think since they read the book from front to back they know it all.
and once you get them on the ground and put a tool in their hand then they have to read the book on how to operate that tool.
quite frankly i wouldnt let them operate my lawnmower.

you can have all the brainsmarts and all the right answers but if you dont have any handson experience you can be one of them that sit on the ground and point the finger and let everyone think that he knows it all.

Someone give that man a White hardhat and a shovel to lean on

And just a reminder...just because you have a ham license....actually almost worse now that you do, doesn't give you any exception for 'illegal' CB operation.

People who know better will immediately recognize that vertical for what it is and likely many of the common 'CB' beam designs too.

Just saying, since you are putting up such a monster beam...it will attract a lot of attention.

And just a reminder...just because you have a ham license....actually almost worse now that you do, doesn't give you any exception for 'illegal' CB operation.

People who know better will immediately recognize that vertical for what it is and likely many of the common 'CB' beam designs too.

Just saying, since you are putting up such a monster beam...it will attract a lot of attention.

good advice. Thanks.

I have since decided to scale down, and run a 4 element quad instead.

Much more practical for what I am trying to do.

Charlie

you keep arguing with logic and reason and disagreeing with the guys who have done this before and can tell you ti wont work yet you STILL argue the point. If you know what you are doing and are sure that 24 ft of 1/2" thick pipe will work then by all means do it. Please be sure to scan the copy of the home owners insurance claim before you submit it when it falls off the roof and kills the neighbors kid.

please read my last few posts toward the end. I have realized that the original plan will not work.. I am not going with a 24 foot long mast anymore. a 12 foot or even a 10 foot mast will work well with a 4 element quad. The mast will be nested inside the roof tower about 3 feet (adding in the height of the rotor mounted on the shelf)..

thanks for posting LO...

Charlie

Those Glen Martin 9 foot towers are very solid so you should have good luck with that as long as your installation is solid. I've had my eye on one for a while.

When you cross brace your rafters and put the rod through them, consider a fish plate backer that has a few inches of steel around where the nut on the rod meets the braces.

The big Tenadyne LPDA models were one of a few options I considered and the 936 tower is rated to hold them. A quad should be no problem. They are also on my list for consideration.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.