• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with indoor Cb antenna

kaos513

Apr 10, 2014
Putnam county,NY
Hello members im moving to private facility where they do not allow out door antennas.Here is my question i will be taking down my old antron 99 can i use the first 2 stages of the antron 99 to make an indoor antenna? thanks.

No I don't believe so as the A99 needs all the sections to have a correct length and impedance match. Better option might be 2 5ft firesticks setup horz. or even a dipole. They make a mount for vertical antennas that someone just posted the other day for attic mounting a vertical like the A99. But you will need all the sections I am pretty sure. You could try laying it flat along the trusses or something and see what happens. Use a cheap radio to check vswr with. Might work. I've seen some installs where guys have managed to place them in the attic, the A99 that is. Never know it may work. Won't know if you don't try at least. But like I said, use a cheap radio just in case the vswr is real bad. JMHO. Good luck.

No I don't believe so as the A99 needs all the sections to have a correct length and impedance match. Better option might be 2 5ft firesticks setup horz. or even a dipole. They make a mount for vertical antennas that someone just posted the other day for attic mounting a vertical like the A99. But you will need all the sections I am pretty sure. You could try laying it flat along the trusses or something and see what happens. Use a cheap radio to check vswr with. Might work. I've seen some installs where guys have managed to place them in the attic, the A99 that is. Never know it may work. Won't know if you don't try at least. But like I said, use a cheap radio just in case the vswr is real bad. JMHO. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, i was looking at the indoor fire stick or a dipole still debating which one to get? Thanks

With a indoor antenna you could mess with all electronics in the whole facility and your range will be cut by like 40% to 60% no more dxing

Only other option I know of that would work in a no antenna area is a stealth flagpole antenna. They make them. Don't know who does but I have seen them somewhere through my searches. Yes with an indoor antenna it's always a comprise. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get on air. You'd be surprised at what you can make up and use when the dx is rolling and conditions are good. It doesn't take much at times when conditions are good.

Any chance you have your HAM ticket? Some HOA's allow antennas if you have one. If not, maybe look into it. Don't give up if they say "well we do allow antennas for Hams, but your not a amateur radio operator" when you can say "I will be a few weeks after I study for the exam" This has been discussed elsewhere many times over.

There are a few antennas that are designed/ retrofitted to work where conventional antennas will not fit. If you were more interested in talking to the locals, a vertical antenna would be better over a horizontal antenna since most folks run verticals for local work.

One inside the building would surely be highly limited in signal and other outside units like the following are somewhat directional (and most definitely a compromise) but might get you heard:

http://www.sirioantenna.com/index.p...id=197&zenid=b52425c81ff0752397583ebc401835f5

Or like he ^^^^ said, a wire dipole like a Falcon 2400 Watt 11 Meter Dipole Cb Radio Base Station Antenna on Amazon. Ha,ha, this site wouldn't let me post that link.

Last edited:
I had this problem too....I found one of those folding signs like you see along the highway and mounted a 10 foot fence post to it and my A99 on top when not in use I hung it on the side of my house on a garden hose bracket. Seen a friend's neighbor take an old car rim filled with concrete with a bar welded to it as an axle with wheels and a pole up the middle with a Imax2000 on it it looked like those signs you see schools roll out daily. I ran a dipole about 4 inches above the peak of my roof line by mounting 2 L brackets to the roof and stringing the dipole tight to each one. I even heard of stringing a dipole on your cable tv line that comes from the pole to the house. Just be creative....there is a way.

Or check out the zero-five 30ft 10-80m flagpole antenna designed specifically for this type of application. They can't say no to you putting up an American Flag now can they?? I believe not. I'm sure there are other flagpole antennas, the zero-five is the 1st one I came across searching. And read the Eham review as well. The first one is about an HOA saying they couldn't do anything about placing up a flagpole!! You could even build an antenna yourself with use of a flagpole as well. The zero-five antennas aren't cheap but they have good reviews as do the force twelve flagpole antennas. Again, good luck. I too live in an HOA area and they don't have a no antenna policy as far as I know, but local code enforcement will bust your chops if someone calls and you dont have or didn't pull a permit to erect a tower. Now if I attach it to the house like I have it's not an issue as many have the digital tv antennas. And they use a tripod and 5-10ft mast with those. If you happen to see one of those around then I wouldn't say anything, just put up a mast and 10ft pipe and build an antenna like a moxon. Heck I bet no one will notice it's not a tv antenna if you do it right. I have also found that if you have trees In the yard a simple dipole can be placed up and with some black coax and a small black balun and wires they just about disappear in the background when up. I've 2 up now and one of them has been up for over 3yrs. now with no complaints. 1st antenna I put up was too close to neighbors back yard, within 10ft. And it was just some pvc pipe inserted into an old 2" laundry line holding one side of the dipole up that they complained about. So needless to say I've had my run in with local city code enforcement. I moved my antenna next to my chimney and placed it there. My vert. that is, and thank goodness I haven't had a complaint for over 2yrs. Like fourstringburn stated maybe something portable, and also painting them black seems to make them blend very well. My A99 was painted black and if you didn't know it was there it was hard to see from a distance. Besides if it's portable you can take it down if anyone starts any crap!! Again, good luck to getting an antenna. Not sure of your budget but the flagpole antenna idea seems like a good one even if you have to build the wire and connections yourself and place them into a flagpole it would work. Hope this text wall helps in some way or gives you an idea as well as what other have posted. Nothing like an HOA that is full of BS rules. And another good point fourstringburn made is to get your ticket! Then you might be able to supersede the HOA with the right to communicate as a licensed amateur radio. I wish you all the luck and good fortune as I think you might need it with the HOA. :D

Last edited:
You might also check into magnetic loop antennas. I've been amazed more than once by impressive signals emanating from indoor magnetic loop antennas, even on the 40m band where a 1/4 wave is 32.5'.

Reactions: Grogan
As for shortening the a99 you might try a short 3 or 4 ft fiberglass antenna on the top section. It would shave off a few feet and you might find one for free.

If you end up with a dipole and have the room look into a double extended zepp. It isn't as simple as a 1/4 wave coax fed dipole but worth the effort.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.