• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with Palomar 225 linear amp.

Blackbox

Mar 29, 2015
Picked up a used Palomar 225 linear amp at a local garage sale event, along with a cobra 29 classic, for $20. I figured one way or another, I'd find a use for it. I'm pretty new to all of this, with the exception of using low end rigs for communication across farm fields, so I don't have a SWR meter, etc. I know, I need to get one... What I do have is multiple radios, and multiple antennas. What I've tried to do so far is test it out on one radio, and pick up the signal with another. So far, there seems to be no noticeable change in broadcast. There seems to be something messed up with the pre-amp, but that could just be because I have very limited knowledge on what it should/should not be doing. My guess is that there may be a blown transistor or something that is not noticeable to the eye (I've opened it up to look for obvious signs, like thing that have been burned up, loose connections, etc). I need advice and guidance on what to do to diagnose what may be the problem. I'm open to any and all advice. I can, and will supply pictures of the board when I have a chance.

To test the amp, you really need to get a dummy load capable of handling the power output of the amp and a power meter to read what is going on. Without at least that, you're flying blind.

To test the amp, you really need to get a dummy load capable of handling the power output of the amp and a power meter to read what is going on. Without at least that, you're flying blind.

How much is all that likely to run? I know a dummy load should be fairly inexpensive, but for a good meter? Thanks for the advice.

At a minimum you will need a watt meter like this.

http://customcbradios.com/Workman-HP-201S-1KW-Meter-This-Meter-Works-Great-P669465.aspx

Then make sure you have enough emperage to feed the amp. Next you will need say a 6' and 3' jumper, run the 6' jumper between the radio & amp, 3 footer between amp and watt meter.

All this also assumes the radio is set to the proper dead key and peak wattage levels, if not you will just overdrive the amp and maybe even damage it. It's also always good to follow the coax trail after you have everything installed to make sure all input/output connections are correct. Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?