• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help with President Washington w/upD858

I have been talking to some local cbers here and one likes to tinker with stuff,, he said it is my audio IC? that would make low rec and that fuzzy in the beginning of transmitting?

I was waiting for a response to the frequency counter question!!

There are a couple of ways to do this, one is to use a RF "sniffer" to sample the RF output by loosely coupling the counter to the coax or by connecting the counter directly as you would a SWR meter. Only works when you key the radio, not the best. :(
Best way is too directly "count" the frequency of the radio's VCO. To do this you must connect the counter to a place that would allow you to sample the VCO such as a test point. Problem with this is you have to subtract the IF frequency, usually 10.7 or 7.8 mHz or the counter would show somewhere in the 35 mHz range.
Most of the available counters out there are made to "sniff" RF or are specific to a certain radio, ie: Galaxy FC390. There are no ready to fit inside the Washington D858 although one could adapt one to work, I've not done this as of yet.
One other way is to buy a kit counter that is programmable with a PIC or Atmel microprocessor. These would have instructions on how to couple them in and select the offset. Here is a link to one....

Frequency Counter

Another kit would to build a DDS (Direct Digital Synthesis) circuit to make a new VCO for the radio and effectively replace the channel selector, PLL and channel display with a VFO knob and frequency readout! (y)
This is just about as a homebrew HF radio at this point and would require some dedication of the hobby! :eek:

Last edited:
freq counter

Hmm, I was hoping there was a way to put it in the 858. I know there is a mod for the 390 to work in a 8719. maybe that same mod will work on the 858?

I got so many switches on this washington I have no Idea what channel I am on. I do have a inline one. but that is a PITA!

Pretty sure the Galaxy and the 8719 both use 10.7 mHz IF so the mod would be rather simple. The old 858 chassis uses 7.8 mHz and would be a bit different. Plus with the older units the SSB offsets are added to the mix after the VCO! :headbang

mechanic

If the cap your talking about is C179, well that spot is empty??? nothing there?

I guess the guy that modded this back in 1977 butchurd it. he is dead now tho. I would love to get it back to stock , but keep the channels and open clarifier?

Wish there was a place near by that would do it..

This is an older base than I thought! I downloaded one of your pics and edited it to show where the part is located (under the V) and also I see that the relay has a bail on it so it is easy to clean the contacts! (y) the bail just slips of to one side! (y)

Since you did not see the number on the transistor, 2SC1419, it may have already been changed out. I cannot really see but it looks to me like the tantalum cap may also have been changed.... :confused:

I see a device added like a modulator or something of the sorts, wrapped in heatshrink. Could be a source of a problem but I cannot be sure.... :thumbdown:

"All radios are worth saving! Even if just for parts!"

mechanic

FB on the added parts.... You may have to look for the tantalum cap that should be replaced, it will be very blue, teardrop shaped with one or more plus marks on it.... Make sure you keep the polarity correct and let me know the number of the transistor next to the transformer.... :D

Next time....

mechanic

what I can see on that transistor is 913AA on top and on the botom same side is IP31A?

where is the audio chip? is it IC3? since it is in the section on the modulation of the board?

A little UPDATE

what I can see on that transistor is 913AA on top and on the botom same side is IP31A?

where is the audio chip? is it IC3? since it is in the section on the modulation of the board?

I took the old washington out again and did a little more looking, now on the bottom Copper side of the board where Cap 179 belongs, the guy had it before me put in 2 4.7 caps in a series. ? can any one tell me maybe why this is done. and I need a pic on the bottom where the finals are. if anyone has the old 858 washington please post a clear pic. I think there is more componets added for who knows why?

the FC390 counter will work fine on AM, however you do need to do the jumper mod on the counter,the SSB will be off a little, I think 1.5khz if I recall correctly, but don;t quote me on that

I did bring it to a place just up past watertown ny. he said it is old that he did the best he could. the tuning problem is once I do replace parts. it is tuned the best it can be. it is LOUD but fuzzy in the first second or 2 then cleans right up. and this is on many mics. I don't know, I just may trash it! it is over 35 years old

Key it and wait 2 seconds and start talking. Problem solved!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated