• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need ideas

hillbilly101

KE8GGC
Dec 24, 2014
Knox County Ohio
As a relatively new amateur radio operator, I read a lot of reviews and ask a lot of questions before purchasing anything. I want to run a clean station, and make as few mistakes as possible. My newest question involves amplifiers. I hear a lot of stations on the air tuning up an amp over peoples qso's, and I also hear a lot of complaining about it. The complaining is understandable. I know that was long winded, so here is the question: What would be a good amplifier for a new General class amateur operator ? Easy to tune, around 600 watts or so.

Reactions: 2RT307

Congratulations on getting your ticket! As for tuning over people, it is rude. Buy a dummy load! I picked up a cantenna from Ameritron/MFJ and it works great. Tons of amp options out there, but I would recommend the Ameritron AL-80B. Single 3-500z tube, a real workhorse of an amp, and will run 600 watts all day without breaking a sweat. Manual tune, yes, but once you chart your settings, it literally takes seconds to tune it. You can find these amps in great conditionfor around 800-1000 bucks used. The AL-811 is cheaper, but has to work a lot harder. The AL-80B should last you many, many years of operation with minimal fuss.

Brett

Reactions: hillbilly101
I wish could answer that for you. If I was going to run power I think it would have to be Ameritron AL-80B. Tube amp and made in the USA. You don't have to run it full output and it should last a very long time.

Reactions: hillbilly101
Yeah, I noticed that too Tallman. Thank you and 2RT307. I will be researching that one for sure. Still not sure if or when Ill be getting an amp. But, I do like doing my homework in this hobby

Reactions: 2RT307
Just to play devil's advocate but why an amp?
For me, right now, it is just something else to look into. As I stated earlier, I don't know when or if I will get one. I just like researching things.
Exactly,.... look @ antennas first
I am looking into more and different antennas, Thank you
I just figured I ask enough questions on that subject already. I have a ton of information that I still need to read through.

How many yagis on 100 watts would it take to equal a dipole or vertical at 800 watts? It's at least one, and an amp is way cheaper, quicker and easier than an 80m yagi install. Just saying....
Yes, in general, you are correct. for 40, 75, 80 and 160 yep an amp is essential but below 40 not really needed just a more of a nice to have.

For me, right now, it is just something else to look into. As I stated earlier, I don't know when or if I will get one. I just like researching things.
Research is fine and worth the time.

yes follow w9cll. dont do what i did. just take your time. the minute i got my ticket i spent 3 grand on just the radio .im still buying. i have to say ham radio is very expensive.

Reactions: Tallman
I knew the "why buy an amp when you should optimize your antenna" question would come up. But that's not what you asked. :whistle: :D

For me, it is because I have compromise antennas. I can make contacts with 500 watts that I could never make with 100.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.