• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need more range - is my radio the problem?

coolgreen

Jan 17, 2009
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
I recently mounted a Wilson 1000 on my pickup truck, thinking this would greatly increase my range. It didn't happen. I have a good SWR reading, and I can get a few miles out of it, but I keep reading posts of people getting 20 miles out of their setup.

I would be happy with five or six miles.

This leads to my question. Could it be that my CB is crap? I have a Cobra WXSTI - not the WXSTII model. I tried to get a local shop to peak and tune it, but the tech said nothing could be done to that radio except maybe adding an amp or some kind.

If I was to buy a Cobra 29 or something similar, would it make a difference?

I use two of these WXSTI radios for my snow plowing business, but they have proven to be almost useless. I can only reach my other driver if he is within about a mile or two. It's been very frustrating and I'm almost ready to rip the radios out of the trucks and chuck them.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

your antenna is a good antenna , if its installed properly it should be doing a good job . if that cobra you have is one of the all in the mic radios they have very limited range . get a better radio . if am is your priority get a uniden and dont even consider cobra for anything . a uniden 68 , it will do well for you with a simple tune up . a galaxy would be my second choice for a new radio . sparkys cb shack hase decent prices , fast service and gives a free tune and alignment on every radio he sells . check him out .

Sparkys CB Shack is the Nation's Choice for CB Radios from Galaxy, Ranger, Cobra , Connex, and Magnum.

Is this the CB you're using?

HH38WXST.jpg

If so, that's a big part of the problem. Try using a regular mobile CB - any regular mobile CB and I think you'll see a big difference. I have never had any success transmitting or receiving more than about a mile with any type of CB handheld, even with an external antenna.

I agree with the BootyMon. A better radio would surely help as he suggested.

But let's back up a bit here. Tell us where the antenna is mounted. Did you set up the antenna correctly and check you SWR? Here's a tutorial that should help out:
SWR

It would help to have a bit more info.

No, it's not a walkie talkie

No, it's not a handheld. It's the WXSTI - the model before the WXSTII. It's a real, mount-in-the-truck radio, not a walkie-talkie.

My SWR reading is fine. I double checked it with my meter.

My antenna is mounted on my Backrack, which may be ground problem, but I highly doubt it.

I get the feeling my radio is to blame for the poor performance. I guess there's only one way to find out. If I buy a new radio and I still don't get any range, I will know it's an antenna problem.

Another problem I have is that there is absolutely no one to talk to in my area. Even with a mile or two range I should be picking up something. CBs have certainly declined over the years where I live, just outside of Toronto.

Just more space for the enthusisats!
You might consider a SSB radio; the hard-core radio operators use them. This will give you two means (AM & SSB) to make more contacts. Just a thought...

Is this the radio you have? If so, it's a decent radio. A few guys in our 4x4 club have these and, when tuned, they can get out about 15-20mi. What meter are you using? How much power are you modulating to?

18_wx_st.jpg

Is this the radio you have? If so, it's a decent radio. A few guys in our 4x4 club have these and, when tuned, they can get out about 15-20mi. What meter are you using? How much power are you modulating to?

18_wx_st.jpg
the cobra 18 has to be one of the worst radios of all time.

the cobra 18 has to be one of the worst radios of all time.

It serves the purpose of an off-roader. It's hard to get a non-radio enthusiast to get anything better for their rig. Believe me...I tried. Another reason is that the radio fits perfectly into a DIN slot on the Toyota Tacoma's.

Their rig (sample)
100_0177_rs.jpg

My rig
PICT3311%20%28Small%29.JPG

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. My radio is the one made before that one. That is a picture of the Cobra WXSTII - I have the WXSTI. I don't think it was a very popular radio. I got mine real cheap.

Looks like I'm going to have to try a new radio and see if that works. Those prices at Sparky's are great, but I'm in Canada. By the time I pay shipping and whatever other charges there are to get it over the border I might as well just buy it here at our crazy inflated prices.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated