• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 2950.

hcfr34

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
Just received my new 2950, peaked and tuned, and am having a fuse problem. It has a 2A fuse inline and blows everytime I increase the mic power output. I have been out of radio for 10 plus years and have to relearn all over again. There will probably be more questions to follow. Ken

2 amp is too small.drop a 5 in there and see if it holds.if not keep increasing until it just holds the power.dont go overboard.

2 amp is just not enough to power that radio

I had a 2950 years back and if I remember right it had a 10 amp fuse in it...could be wrong though,been a long time

Those are great radios,once you get the fuse trouble taken care of you will like that rig...I worked all of North America and a couple of countries in Europe out of a mobile...no external power....just the 25 watts the radio put out

7.2 FUSE REPLACEMENT
To protect the equipment from serious damage, a fuse is provided on the power supply lines. The fuse
protect against overvoltage / reverse polarity or internal fault of the equipment. If the fuse has blown,
first find out the cause of the trouble before replacing it. A fuse rated for more than 7A for RCI-2950
DX and 20A for RCI-2970 DX should not be used, since it may permanently damage the equipment.
Damage due to overfusing is not covered by the warranty.

7 - 7 1/2 AMP is what I use never use more than this because of what was stated above the protection just isnt there the door of damage stays open longer while the end result can be catostrophic and that can be a huge non repairable :oops:

lets not forget that if this wiring harness had a 2 amp fuse in it, it might have been 18ga. wire.

yes, this will "work", but if it were my radio, i would use at least 16ga. wire.

(actually if it were me, id run 12ga., but i am strange)
LC

Will dofellers. I put a 5 amp in it, but haven't pushed it yet. I will upgrade to a 7.5. Just concerned...I know the fuse is there for a reason, 2 amp just seemed small. Now to figure out how the rest of it work. I got me an OLD meter made out of 2 potatoes and a straw. Will check and see how it is preforming. Again many thanks. Ken

Straight from page 22.

http://www.rangerusa.com/pdf/man295070dx.pdf

7.2 FUSE REPLACEMENT
To protect the equipment from serious damage, a fuse is provided on the power supply lines. The fuse
protect against overvoltage / reverse polarity or internal fault of the equipment. If the fuse has blown,
first find out the cause of the trouble before replacing it. A fuse rated for more than 7A for RCI-2950
DX and 20A for RCI-2970 DX should not be used, since it may permanently damage the equipment.
Damage due to overfusing is not covered by the warranty.

UPDATE

THE NEW 2950dx-3 comes with a 10amp fuse in line with the wire.Just a update for any new purchasers.Check your fuses if you need a replacement but just letting everyone know.

Just received my new 2950, peaked and tuned, and am having a fuse problem. It has a 2A fuse inline and blows everytime I increase the mic power output. I have been out of radio for 10 plus years and have to relearn all over again. There will probably be more questions to follow. Ken

I find it hard to believe a "new" 2950 radio would be shipped with a 2 amp fuse. Did you maybe buy a like new old orange display 2950 radio? That said most any radio after a tune will pop a 2 amp fuse. Try a 5 amp, if ya pop that one then go 7. The most you should have to go is a 10 but as stated a 7 should work.

If you blow a 5A fuse, stop rite there,:eek: before you regreat it. A 5A is way more than enough for a 2950!

Just my 2 cents My ranger 2950DX Has a standard 7 amp 250 volt fuse The 7 amp is the important part. would not go larger to protect the radio.
Steve j.

lets not forget that if this wiring harness had a 2 amp fuse in it, it might have been 18ga. wire.

yes, this will "work", but if it were my radio, i would use at least 16ga. wire.

(actually if it were me, id run 12ga., but i am strange)
LC

+1. I make sure I run more than enough wire for any installation, and then some. :w00t:

I run 12ga for all of my installations (home/mobile), and 4ga solid copper into my base antenna grounds. :cool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?