• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New additions

trainfan1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 26, 2011
London, Ont, Canada
Picked these up the other night. Galaxy DX66V and a Bullet Proof 1 amp. I could use a little help with this set up. I need a mic for this unit, does it use the same wire set up as a Cobra 29? Also I have no info what so ever on this amp. Did a google and all that came up was a sales add for a used amp and an image. Anyone know anything about this amp and what it should be powered with and how the ^%$# do I use it?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0282.JPG
    DSCN0282.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0283.JPG
    DSCN0283.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0284.JPG
    DSCN0284.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 192

Yes. Any mic wired for a Cobra should work.

you need a jumper coax from the output of the radio and the amp input connector 3 to 6 feet should be fine. Just long enough to be far enough away from your radio so the coax doesn't have to make a sharp bend anyway.

For AM use, flip the switch to AM/FM. For SSB use, flip the switch to SSB.
Makes sense on its own; right?

Check your SWR between the amp ant the antenna WITHOUT turning the amp on.
Make sure that the antenna's SWR is 1.5 to 1 - or less - before you transmit. Below 1.5 is recommended - if possible If it is not within those specs, re-tune the antenna until 1.5 to 1 is accomplished.

Make sure you turn the RF Output knob on the radio almost all of the way down (CCW) before you turn on the amp and transmit.

You will also need a power supply to power the amp. Not sure on the output rating of this amp. Figure on 12 amperes for every 100 watts of power that the amp is rated at.
A 300 watt amp and a 36 ampere power supply should be OK.
A 500 watt amp and a 60 ampere power supply.
A 200 watt amp and a 25 ampere power supply.
I think you get the picture by now.

The greater the power output from an amp - will also require a bigger gauge of cable to power it.

If the wires get warm or hot; then the gauge is too small. Or you are pushing the amp output too hard.

Never make the amp do more than it was designed to do. They are expensive to fix.

Thanks for the info Robb.
don't know what size the amp is, so therefore not sure of the power supply needed.
The amp dosent have a switch for am/ssb. just POWER on/off and RX AMP on/off. It does however have a dial on the back side labeled SSB DELAY. Does it auto detect ssb?

Thanks for the info Robb.
don't know what size the amp is, so therefore not sure of the power supply needed.
The amp dosent have a switch for am/ssb. just POWER on/off and RX AMP on/off. It does however have a dial on the back side labeled SSB DELAY. Does it auto detect ssb?

Turn that knob on the back of the amp all of the way down and then key the mic (make sure the Mic Gain - on the radio - is at least at the 3 o'clock position - first). Then, turn that knob on the back up until you hear a relay on the inside of the amp 'click'. That is the threshold for SSB sensitivity.

As I said, I've never owned one of those brand of amps. Many amps mfrs have that function built into the amp and is automatic. But what I said should work for you.

Don't ever be worried about getting too big of a power supply. Instead, be very concerned about getting a supply that is too small. You can never do wrong by getting the bigger supply. In fact, I would.

i think those were ab biased amps . pop the lid and see what pills are in it and how many .

2290 = 60 watts each
1446 = 90 watts each
2879 = 100 watts each
all pep power output .

Well, Got pokin around and this amp has 2 1446 Transistors. Don't know a lot about electronics, but the workmanship looks clean and tidy. hoping for good things!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.