• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Blackcat amps

That's odd how the 300 model is rated at 15 amps draw........ and yet they claim 350 watts PEP. With that peak wattage number the draw should be around 30 amps. If it is AB then 109 bucks is a great price.

Welcome to the world of CB linear amplifier ratings. I have always said that CB amp ratings have a way of defying the laws of physics. I have pissed a lot of people off along the way with that one but here is more proof.

Oh wait.............I have a surprise for you. Double your numbers again. You are assuming 100% efficiency. 350 watts peak means about 60 amps peak current draw. 12v X 60 amps = 720 watts INPUT. Figure a typical efficiency of 50% and you get about 320-350 watts out for 60 amps peak current draw at 12 volts. A little less current at 14 volts. Even more credence for BS ratings.

i shoulda asked what MOSFETs they were using to see what they will really do . i'll try to remember to call tomorrow and ask .

Reactions: 2 people
if the 250 low drive can do 200 clean watts and it's ab biased with a decently tuned input and output it's quite a deal !

Reactions: 1 person
that 2x8 messenger in the for sale section would be nice if someone has the amps to feed it .

mosfet amps

I recently tested a prototype tx2000 amp, 1 7530 ekl mosfet driving 4.
It had a fan on the bottom cooling the internals similar to the one in the picture above. Nicely made. When cold it hit 440w PEP easily with 40w drive but the thing heated up quickly and dropped back to about 350 or so. The fan on the guts was totally inadequate. I think I may have been over driving the single stage driver a little! I put a large fan on the heatsink and that helped stabilize things around the 380w PEP level. SSB was good and no problems with distortion on air. Worked great but do need to cool the heck out of it.
I think these mosfets would be a good case for some computer chip water cooling techniques....or run it at a couple of hundred W PEP and it would last forever. maybe a single driving 8 would be the way to go....
Definitely the way of the future..cheapest 400w on the block!

H&Y is just like Coppers, they never have anything you want in stock. I don't know why they don't have a real time website.. It would save a heck of a lot of frustration!!!

H&Y does in stock or out of stock under the description. Never called to check and see how accurate it is.

They are in stock at H and Y now. Couldn't be worse timing for me to buy one, though! Ho, ho, ho!

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated