• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Blackcat amps

As far as I am concerned all mosfet CB amps belong in this handy, dandy carrying case.

trash_can_up_fo_2.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
psycho, I'd normally agree with you, except for the fact that my el-cheapo KL 203P has been kicking some serious butt with my Grant XL. Great reports, and great output. If it blows up, I could care less. It only cost me 50 dollars. If the BK can perform as well as the KL but with higher output, they've got a winner.

Mosfets are just like SMT..... like it or not, it's the direction the manufacturers are going.

RT307

psycho, I'd normally agree with you, except for the fact that my el-cheapo KL 203P has been kicking some serious butt with my Grant XL. Great reports, and great output. If it blows up, I could care less. It only cost me 50 dollars. If the BK can perform as well as the KL but with higher output, they've got a winner.

Mosfets are just like SMT..... like it or not, it's the direction the manufacturers are going.

RT307

Thank goodness I have enough old style radios and comp amps to outlive me. I will always be old school when it comes to CB. Anything else, I'll change with the times but I'll never wear my pants around middle of my ass though. :laugh:

Do you have any bias designs for the mosfet transistor?

Not me! Seems like there were a few quick and dirty methods posted on the forum. One by exit thirteen, and I can't remember the other fella. Not sure if they were for mosfets or not, though.

RT307

Interesting reads here. smd technoligy....mosfet amplifiers.....Geese what next??

All built to be used up and thrown away. I really don't see a huge market for these mosfet amplifiers like the older bipolar or tube counterparts enjoyed. They are to fickle, fragle and otherwise unreliable. Sure the 7030 devices will last a little longer but sooner or later the will give up too.

If these mosfets are to be the thing of the future then they will have to start using mosfets that are designed to amplify RF that are of a better quality like those used in ham equiptment. Sure the cost will be higher but the equiptment will not suffer from the same shortcommings as what they are using now. But we all know that will never come to pass.

They may be the cheapest watt per dollar amps on the market today but how much are you really "saving" as compared to the the bipolar models? They just seem to be another example of cheap, throwaway equiptment like most everything else thats made today. For years the majority has been screaming for more watts per dollar. Perhaps this was the answer to that?

I can't speak for anyone else but it seems to make better sense to find a good bipolar model and stock up on replacement 2sc2290's or 2sc2879's and have them for a long time if used correctly. Sure this seems "expensive" but in the long run how do you think it will compare to continously buying these cheap mosfet amps? So having said this I wonder what is driving the interest in these types of amplifiers? Perhaps it is the "itch' for having something "different"? Or being proud of having a high powered amplifier for penny's on the dollar? Who knows?

Just dosen't make sense.

Wave of the future...Yep....Just like everything else.:blink::sad:

Last edited:
does anyone know anything about these amps ?

Palomar Products*|*Redman CB Stop

"Class AB biased smooth Sideband with receive preamp"

and they're MOSFET amps

I have had one for almost a year its the low drive version good for up to 30 watts, I am pushing mabey 30w into it and I see 550+PEP on my mfj-868 meter, now I added a 120mm fan on top and works great. these seem to be a fairly loud amp as it really kick up the modulation ...if that makes any sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I wish someone made a clean high performance quality built AB amplifier in either mosfet or old school finals. It's sad to see such a fine SSB radio sitting on top of an el cheapo Palomar amplifier.

Last edited:
I have had one for almost a year its the low drive version good for up to 30 watts, I am pushing mabey 30w into it and I see 550+PEP on my mfj-868 meter, now I added a 120mm fan on top and works great. these seem to be a fairly loud amp as it really kick up the modulation ...if that makes any sense?

Is yours truly biased? How's it sound on SSB?

Damm good question. Midnight special has a line of mosfet amps with lower prices than their transistor amps, Look at the rateings on this one.

4 Mosfet Transistors GREAT matchup for any 100 watt radio or the RFX75 board
1 built-in cooling fan
Hi/Med/Low Switch
Preamp Switch
Auto-sideband delay
400 watts peak power
45 amp max draw
Dim. L 7 1/2 W 6 H 3
Input Drive: 2-18 watt carrier, 110 pep
Out of box warranty against factory defects Export use only

Price: $235.99

Great match up for a RFX 75 radio or 100 Watt radio with 2 -18 watt carrier.
Is this for Real?

Who has it for that price?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.