• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new guy..

i also already have the cable and software for the kenwood radios, thank you. So using MURS freqs is an easier and better way for what i want to be using it for? Isn't MURS only limited to less the 15miles? I was kinda hoping for more then that haha

You could set up the radio you have now as prescribed with the antenna up high. This will help with getting better 'line of sight' to those you need to talk to. If you put the Kenwood as the base radio ('you') and get the antenna high enough, it should do more than 30 miles with that much power and the antenna up high enough.

I think -not sure- that the Wouxun KG-UVD1P handheld radio can also be programmed for MURS. If so; then your field reporters should have these.

Just be SURE that they don't use them on the Ham band or any other frequency. You can program blocking out all of the other freqs so as not to offend the FCC and other Hams. This might just work . . .

Just a thought...

A lot of inexpensive handhelds can be used on those frequencies. I've purchased from radiogearpro.com in the past but I'm sure there are others just as good.

oh and if you want 15 miles reliably, good luck...that gets expensive

Just so long as the antenna is put on masting/tower @ 40 ft high, you can get out quite a ways. The coaxial cable between the Kenwood and the antenna feedpoint must be of a good grade. NO junk cable should be used! That will compromise efficiency at these VHF freq's. Times/Microwave LMR-400 or equivalent - is a must have.

GLR's comment on the cheaper handhelds might work, they are 2 watt radios. The Wouxun is 5 watts I think. Not much difference. Having an external antenna hooked up to the radios and attached to the top of the vehicle will help immensely for the reporters ability to receive and transmit.

Pretty sure that the cheaper MURS radios don't allow for an external antenna.
The Wouxun does tho . . .

well thank you! yah i was actually hoping to keep the tk-780 as a mobile in my truck. sounds like it'll be easier to just have them get ham licenses. I was really hoping to be able to get this to work, dang. Is there a way to do something like this on UHF channels?

well thank you! yah i was actually hoping to keep the tk-780 as a mobile in my truck. sounds like it'll be easier to just have them get ham licenses. I was really hoping to be able to get this to work, dang. Is there a way to do something like this on UHF channels?

Having the Kenwood as a base is essential; as this allows for one antenna that is high enough to make 'line of sight' work.

Can't use Ham bands for business - sorry . . .
If you use MURS; then you will have to be careful of what is broadcast. Radio courtesy with others using those freqs is implied.

Well,

Ham licenses will be of little use to your venture as it is ILLEGAL, ie: violation of federal law, to use ham radio in any type of business communication. Try cell phones.

soupcans.png

well its no so much a business, its more of friends talking throughout the day/night and keeping in contact, cell phones limit to just 2 people talking rather then multiple talking about the same subject

Then MURS should work for you. If it isn't that busy; usually isn't.

Depends if all the cost isn't too much for you. The antenna is ~$60, the coax is less than $70, the 40 ft of mast and hardware will be about another $100, and power supply should run about $60.

The cost of the MURS radios, hardware, and external antennas will be about $170/ea.
That will be the reprogrammed Wouxun radios; if they are capable - I might be wrong about that point. Some friends of mine did the MURS programming on theirs. I'll have to talk to them before I can verify that.
A simple 2m mag mount antenna can be used; but it will need to be tuned/trimmed for the MURS freq. Use of an antenna tuner will also be needed.

After reviewing the FCC regs, using too much power and antenna height is a breach of MURS regs. You might be better off with a SSB CB radio system. Legal, and it should do the distance if a tower antenna is done.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.