• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham, Need Help

WantDistance

Sep 15, 2016
Hi All- just tested for my tech license and am trying to learn a bit more about which rig to select. I am very interested in long distance communications and making contacts all over the world. So I came to the experts in the hopes that you could steer me a bit as to what might work well for me. I am looking for a base unit that can go worldwide but still communicate more locally if possible. I don't have room for a huge antenna but will sort something out hopefully to get the signal out there. Right now my predicament is finding a radio to start with. I would greatly appreciate the help everyone! I will have this page up and keep an eye out for responses. Thanks-

Whatever you do,.......... do NOT get one of those glorified CB EXPORT radios.

take a good look @ the 857D

I would like to get the best tool for the job. I have seen the 857D, looks like it does a lot of work. Do you happen to know if there is a more traditional base style rig that is similar to that? I'm not sure how much of a compromise it is having a portable rig such as that, I am planning to have the base set up at home in a fixed location reserved for it. Any ideas? I really appreciate your quick response and advice on the 857!

Maybe a kenwood ts2000?? You may already know but most of the the base looking radios require an external power supply...not all though.

The main thing is to get something with the features and bands you want. You may find its cheaper to buy an HF rig and pick up a separate vhf/uhf rig.

Well first off: CONGRATS(y)
Next: Don't Stop NOW go for GENERAL...so that this new adventure in radio can have all the possibilities.
Now as to your question: First determination your budget...$$$???
This should include your antenna(s) and rig(s) and power supply as a combined $ total.
Next Info: Your Location... Big CITY/Small Town/ Rural Country etc...
Area Space wise to erect your antennas for your station?
This will help us help you, in regards to your new station.
You spoke of DXing...As a Tech you have a few options...10 meter CW/ SSB and 6 meter CW/ SSB at 200 watts PEP...
Those with your present privileges offer the greatest distances.
Though you do have other band options, those bands are more in the one hundred or
200 mile class (per everyday normal conditions).
Note: As a GENERAL Class Operator, you can add 5 or 6 more bands that are considered DX class bands (i.e. 1000 miles++++ range capable)
So this is where I'll start...Help us Help you
Again Congrats and Welcome to Amateur Radio(y):D
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Thank you both for the replies! I've found a kenwood ts2000 online used for what seemed to be a good price but I didn't know enough to take action on it.
BJ- Thank you for the welcome and I am glad to be in such good company! General is my next step, sending out for some study material here shortly. As for my budget I think under a grand would be ideal. I am a patient person and can wait to pick up any accessories if need.
As for my location I'm in a small town and actually live in an apartment building. There is some unused area behind my building though not too far from where my station would be located, so I'm not sure what my options might be.
As far as tech privileges go, are they any worldwide communication methods (voice on ssb?) As I said I do plan to get the General because my greatest hope is to communicate worldwide but was hoping in the meantime to have a chance at the experience. Also I'm not opposed to contacting people around the country or North America so as I said I can be patient, haha.

If there are any more questions you can think of to help me better make a selection, or if you could offer any equipment selections, please let me know! Many thanks!

Well: WD...The TS-2000 is a fine rig...However may not be the best rig to start with.
Those on the Market now would bust the budget mark quickly, as an excellent condition Late version model used, is very near the top end of your $ range.
I have lived in an apartment and operated, it can be challenging...but doable...
First Off: I would inquire as to the the options you have for antennas.
Is this space near your station owned by your landlord? An are they receptive Now that you have a licence...to allowing you to use this area to erect some antennas?
This is critical info as, you don't want to PO the Landlord or neighbors by doing some kind of outside antennas without proper clearance.
Then we can move on from there:
And YES 10 meter and 6 meter SSB (voice) can give you some really FUN DXing with good conditions and a modest antenna set-up...(provided you have permission)...
Been there Done that!...
Though in the proper case when renting it is not always wise to ask for Forgiveness rather than ask permission, as one may find themselves looking for new addresses:cry:
All the Best
Gary

Yes I'm seeing now the ts-2000 is pretty high end. Haven't discussed with the landlord yet but definitely will, as you said better to ask for permission than forgiveness haha. I'm not trying to step on any toes. The area is an undeveloped area of woods. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but a few feet from the corner of my apartment is a concrete wall that if walked up from behind leads to an unused metal pole that extends several feet into the air. The reason I mention it is that it isn't too far from the apartment and because of its positioning it offers up a spot even taller than the house. Also there is an attic here I'm not sure if an indoor antenna would even work though.

Yes I'm seeing now the ts-2000 is pretty high end. Haven't discussed with the landlord yet but definitely will, as you said better to ask for permission than forgiveness haha. I'm not trying to step on any toes. The area is an undeveloped area of woods. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but a few feet from the corner of my apartment is a concrete wall that if walked up from behind leads to an unused metal pole that extends several feet into the air. The reason I mention it is that it isn't too far from the apartment and because of its positioning it offers up a spot even taller than the house. Also there is an attic here I'm not sure if an indoor antenna would even work though.
Just my honest opinion, a TS 2000 is a over glorified cb radio.
It does everything, it just doesn't do it very well.
Spend what ever you have to spend on a real HF radio and spend what you think you should spend on a mobile VHF or VHF UHF FM transceiver.
If all you have in your general area is 2 meter repeaters, or if all you are concerned with is 2 meter repeaters, buying a dual band transceiver may be a waste of time for you.
Other than 1 net Sunday nights, I hardly ever operate on 70 cm, just isn't enough people using the 70 cm repeaters here locally to make it worth my while.
I do a lot of 6 meter work, but my friends all operated top band - 160 meters.
They will all tell you that the TS 2000 is a Piece Of Shit on 160 meters.
It would be a waste of money to buy it - for one reason - the design is more than 18 years old. That is not good unless you are stuck in the new millennium era.
Electronics - much like computers, follows Moores Law.
The technology advances about every 18 - 24 months, so what was new and improved - Today will be yesterdays news 3 years from now.
My advice as always is not to put all of your eggs in one basket.
If it breaks, you are out not only a HF radio, but also a FM UHF / VHF transceiver - if you have to send it back.
I see no benefit to owning one at the present time.
Even the ICOM 7100 - is a much better investment! And I don't like ICOMS!

I would go for a YAESU FT 857D, it has all the ham bands you want..I own 2, 1 here at home, one in my portable qth..
Now if things do not work out in your apartment, you can operate 10/6/2/440 remote, it would run you around 25 to 35 a year if interested. You have to join the club and down load the station, I use to talk around WEST COAST with the remote into Washington, Idaho, Utah and MEXICO, if interested will put down the web page.
You have to have WINDOWS XP or WINDOWS 7, will not work on WINDOWS 10.

Congrats on getting your license also.

DOCTOR/795

Congrats from me also on your Tech license! While you are still in study mode, go for the General class. This is where the action is for good DX and good stateside radio activity.

A tech license is fine but limiting on where the good SSB HF operations are. 10 meters has been fairly quiet and probably won't peak again for a couple years and 6 meters is too unpredictable.

When choosing a radio, think of the future so you only spend the money once. (although all of us in the hobby whether Ham or CB still don't do that).

I think a good entry level HF radio if you are seriously considering a license upgrade is the Yaesu 450D. This has HF/6 meters with no VHF/UHF. If you want those bands in an all in one radio, look at the Yaesu 991 or the Kenwood TS 2000. VHF/UHF radios can be bought fairly expensively so You could go with a nice HF base radio and have a mobile VHF/UHF radio on the side.

As for antennas, VHF is easy if you just want it for local repeaters. A $50 J pole antenna will work good enough. There is some occasional DX on those bands but you would be better off with a 2 meter Yagi beam.

For HF, The sky's the limit...pun. Multi-band wire dipoles are relatively inexpensive and good enough and easy to put up if you have trees or at least 1 pole. There are many to choose from so let us know if you are considering going that route and you should get a lot of tips from the forum members here.

Reactions: Soup-man
Hey I agree with him
Who'da thought?

I have and use the TS-2000. Not the best radio ever made, but probably one of the most practical radios made for the price. Been around for awhile in production too. Popular Kenwood radio. If using with a laptop or PC RS232 to USB cable and ARCP-2000 software, it can be easier and faster to operate; some specific filter controls can only be accessed thru software BTW. If you spent another $1k more than this radio, you could but a better radio. But for ~$1K/less used buying price - with 6m, 2m, and 70cm as part of the package - made the difference worth that price - IMO. I'm satisfied with it. Kenwood fan.

Last edited:
First off congrats on your ticket!!! And like said, at least go for the General while things are fresh in your mind. As far as radios go the options are endless as your wallet is!! The Icom 7000, Kenwood 480sat/HX, Yaseu ft857, or many other radios for that matter, pick your flavor and go with it!! What it ends up with is all matter of opinion. Get what YOU like. Take your time and look around. There is also the option of getting something like the Icom 7300, and then get a seperate VHF/UHF radio. But it all boils down to how much you want to spend. After the radio remember you have to have a good antenna or antennas, to support all this as well. I am no expert, but at least know it's not as easy as some would have you think. Takes time if you truly want to do things correctly. Setting up a base station that is. But like I said. I am far from an expert and darn sure am not claiming to be at all!! 99.9% of these guys know way way more than I do. But at least I do know that it is not as simple as some make it out to be when setting up a good base station. JMHO's.
73 and God Bless.

WD: I found this morning and as far as a GOOD starter rig this is not bad and the price is nice. This would give you room in your budget to purchase a few accessories you will need to complete a nice beginning set-up.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/usedq.php?id=10747&model=FT450
(Used/and checked out by good Dealer) with FREE shipping to US

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/bro/yaesu/ft450d.pdf (Factory Info)

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=104&products_id=68271 (NEW Price)

First off Hams are worse than Doctor's...give 10 hams the same rig and you'll get opinions from It's Junk....to Fabulous!:LOL:
On a scale from 1 to 10 as far as the First rig I would suggest for a new Ham on a budget I would give this a strong 7.0+...
On the Budget you told me and just coming out of the gate....I would give it an 8.0
Descent Receiver with the DSP included/ Normal 100 watts output/ Good ease of operation/and a built-in Auto-tuner that work easily...ALL HF bands plus 6 meters
JMHO
I owned one...ran it mobile and enjoyed using it...Sold it when I upgraded to an ICOM 7000 NIB for my truck.
OK WD here IMHO a good start on your First HF Station
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

i second the FT 450 yeasu. Is reasonable great starter radio and good backup if you upgrade later. I have a 857D also a great radio and easily portable.LIke BJ said the 450 can be used mobile also. The antenna is the important part of how well you will do onTX/DX and agree get your general to open up options. Congrats on the tech license, Enjoy

Reactions: Mudduckmobile

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.