• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Kenwood ts-990 vs. used Icom 7800

mb91w126

Jul 24, 2013
www.facebook.com
Local Ham has a excellent condition ic-7800 for sale asking 7k but 6100USD is quite possible.
HRO price for new TS-990 is 6500usd.

Alot of features seam to be the same.
I'm going to review the eHam reviews some more.
The Icom was purchased new in 2005, are the caps starting to dry out by now??
Kenwood released the ts-990 in 2013 so is there any remarkable engineering differences between the icom design in 2004 vs a later designed Kenwood??

I'm aware of the icom PA board issues.

Thanks for your opinions.

Just a guess but I'd say they use smd capacitors in the IC 7800 so you probably don't have to worry about those going bad like the old can type. Like all new release radios the 990S is going to have to go through some changes, possibly just firmware so at the same price you get a new rig vs used. Check out the eHam reviews. I make it a point not to buy a new release rig until the bugs are worked out. Nice that you have the option though.

Alot of features seam to be the same.
I'm going to review the eHam reviews some more.
The Icom was purchased new in 2005, are the caps starting to dry out by now??
Kenwood released the ts-990 in 2013 so is there any remarkable engineering differences between the icom design in 2004 vs a later designed Kenwood??

What sort of guarantee do you get with the Icom?
it would make good sense to purchase the newer radio ...

Both would provide great service.

Both are rather Expensive at least IMO.

One can have the best rig in the world and still not be able to hear anything due to poor antennas.

I would spend the biggest amount of budget for the hobby in the antenna farm then purchase the best HF rig I could afford.

Then again I have had several QSO with OPS running High end rigs into a G5RV(n)

I'd probably go with the TS-990S if I had to make that choice. Take a look at the receiver specs on Sherwood Engineering's site and you'll see that the 990 is just a little better in a few categories. I also like the USB ports on the 990. However, if I had the budget for either of those radios, I'd just buy a new Elecraft K3S instead.

BTW, I'm also that guy with better rigs than antenna, due to property size restrictions. A great receiver is one way to help out with the situation, for sure.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.