• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar Ceramic Microphone

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Somebody Buy one quick, and do a review,and a few on air test with other mics too.I found it on Bells web site and when The page opens at the top it says RF Limited Microphone. Don't know, this might be a mistake.
SL41%20Boxed%20left.jpg

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

GI Joes says it's Made by the orig. Palomar from the 60's and 70's....

Palomar closed its doors over 40 years ago. only the name and trademark remain.

This is a newly merged company, owned by Sams grandson, that is using the name.

Reactions: BBB
Never had much luck with noise cancelling mics sounding good on the base station. In the truck is where they shine.

Great news, hoping to see a lot more Palomar/ RF limited/ Magnum products (y)

http://www.palomarelectronics.com/

"In the 1970's when my grandfather, Sam I. Lewis, Sr., closed Palomar Electronics Corporation the name was unfortunately lost. Over the next 40+ years my father, Sam I. Lewis, Jr, carried on in the spirit of Palomar under the company name RF Limited. In 2000, I started EKL Components, a sister-company to RF Limited, dedicated to the component side of our industry.

From the beginning, it has been my goal to regain the name that my grandfather and father made famous - and that day is here. Palomar Electronics is now the new, original, name of RF Limited and EKL Components. Palomar will continue to use the brand names, such as Magnum, that everyone has come to know over the past 50 years.

I look forward to continuing on in the tradition of my grandfather and father to develop innovative and industry-changing products. Stay tuned.

Eric S. Lewis
President, Palomar Electronics"

Reactions: hotrod and 2RT307
Palomar closed its doors over 40 years ago. only the name and trademark remain.

Exactly. The mic is most likely another product being cranked out in some Chinese factory, branded and packaged for the customer ordering them. Much like Dr. Dre's Beats headphone that use $7.00 worth of snap together parts and sell for $199.

Dunno, Ratso. All of the RF Limited mics I've owned (and still own/use the CR-577) have been nothing short of being 'Top Shelf'. The 2018Xtreme/echo mic that I had was also par excellent. Can't say about this mic, as this is the first time I've heard about it. Sure hope that Eric is keeping that tradition of fine products intact.

Like to try one - though; I think it is worth the risk. I own two N/C mics ATM. The first is a RoadKing RK-56; one of the new ones. The one mic I just bought and use in the mobile is the Workman SS-56; a knock-off of the RK-56, which has proved to be the better of the two - IMO. Cheaper cost - too.

Last edited:
Not saying they won't sound good, just not thinking they or the parts inside are made in the US like Heil microphones. Even Heil is probably sourcing some parts from Asia.

Seems that bringing back a brand that we all once knew and loved is the thing now to sell a product. Heathkit is a good example. Anyway, so someone buy one of these Palomar mics and knock out a review :)

Reactions: Robb and 2RT307
made in china..i do know who and where but eric and sam have been good to me and dave over the last 30 + years so will repect them and their sources

as for price (unsure if he has retailed them as yet as we were informed about them some 6 months ago ) fairly cheap sure as heil not as overpriced as hell ;)

btw not sure where you get "ceramic" from but i dont think so eric has never mentioned ceramic to us in correspondence and i dont see it on his page

Exactly. The mic is most likely another product being cranked out in some Chinese factory, branded and packaged for the customer ordering them. Much like Dr. Dre's Beats headphone that use $7.00 worth of snap together parts and sell for $199.
:ROFLMAO: Beats = me too and too much bass. Gotta give Dre a tip of the hat though... he probably made more money off of those headphones than he did his records.

Hopefully Palomar will make decent products (from China). It would be cool if they did use the 577 element in that body with tone and power mic volume controls.

Brett

made in china..i do know who and where but eric and sam have been good to me and dave over the last 30 + years so will repect them and their sources

as for price (unsure if he has retailed them as yet as we were informed about them some 6 months ago ) fairly cheap sure as heil not as overpriced as hell ;)

btw not sure where you get "ceramic" from but i dont think so eric has never mentioned ceramic to us in correspondence and i dont see it on his page

Palomar's website lists it as having an electret element. In the one photo it certainly looks like a typical small electret cartridge behind the front grille.

14088465_1232096890142695_2774754454135014219_n.jpg

as you can see there are options on the board to power the mic board from 12v weather it has the mentioned 7805 reg (5v reg) on the board in the pic or not is another thing plus it has solder point to add scanning buttons. (the pin headers at bottom of mic board are for selecting the way the scanning button works weather single wire tri state used in morden radios like cre8900/anytone /icom or the older 3 wire style like yaesu/ar3500 etc)
i am sure its a ecm insert but cant say for sure ..hopefully it is because i know the company that makes them has the crappest dymanic inserts on the market !
however the ecm inserts they use are very good (nice frequency response curve

time will tell
certainly not a mic that would sell here in my market ..no one likes power mics or so called noise cancel mics (a real noise cancel mic would have twin inserts out of phase or at least a adjustable rear open port not a single one with no adjustable port)..maybe they are faking noise cancelling with a audio highpass filter rolling off the road noise (but mudding the audio)

some one buy one and sweep it

Last edited:
SL41 Head - Front.jpg

This is the picture I referred to above referencing the small element visible through the plastic grille. Fairly easy to see if you click on the picture to blow it up. Just in the FWIW Dept. ;)

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated