• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Product from Magnum International...

I just received the Magnum 257 HP less than an hour ago. Got it all wired up as a base radio at this time.......I must say that really like the receive in it so far. Very little noise.......

ABSOLUTELY! yes, the 257, as well as the delta & omega, have EXCELLENT receivers. well, the original delta's did NOT, but magnum fixed that issue.
IN A BASE!!! IN A BASE!!! IN A BASE!!!
BUT, as chainsaw states....in a mobile....THEY SUCK!!!! they are ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS!!!! S-7 of white noise/static drowns out S-9+ signals it is so bad!!! not noise from the vehicle, but it absorbs EVERYTHING around it! driving in the middle of nowhere with no lights, power lines, etc, the little noise is very liveable. in even a modestly developed area-anywhere near a 'downtown'-forget it!!! you ain't hearing nothing!!!

ABSOLUTELY! yes, the 257, as well as the delta & omega, have EXCELLENT receivers. well, the original delta's did NOT, but magnum fixed that issue.
IN A BASE!!! IN A BASE!!! IN A BASE!!!
BUT, as chainsaw states....in a mobile....THEY SUCK!!!! they are ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS!!!! S-7 of white noise/static drowns out S-9+ signals it is so bad!!! not noise from the vehicle, but it absorbs EVERYTHING around it! driving in the middle of nowhere with no lights, power lines, etc, the little noise is very liveable. in even a modestly developed area-anywhere near a 'downtown'-forget it!!! you ain't hearing nothing!!!

Maybe that's what I need to do ....Use my 257 as a base with my power supply !

I need more filtering in my MO-BILL !!

Maybe that's what I need to do ....Use my 257 as a base with my power supply !

I need more filtering in my MO-BILL !!

tongue-in-cheek....i hope. its purpose is to be a SMALL, EASY TO FIT IN THE VEHICLE mobile rig. the HP version blew whatever was left of that theory out the window. the white noise issue almost makes the extended cooling fins a moot point. i'd buy the omega HP before the 257HP. for a base. if i wanted to downgrade.

tongue-in-cheek....i hope. its purpose is to be a SMALL, EASY TO FIT IN THE VEHICLE mobile rig. the HP version blew whatever was left of that theory out the window. the white noise issue almost makes the extended cooling fins a moot point. i'd buy the omega HP before the 257HP. for a base. if i wanted to downgrade.

There is no more/less noise in this radio as a base than using a Galaxy 99V, Cobra 148GTL, OmegaForce, or Grant XL. Furthermore, the receive is outstanding and better or equal to my ear compared to all radios previously listed. I've been switching/comparing all of these together the last 24 hours. I'm seeing about 50-60 watts on SSB. Nice thing here is, this radio hasn't even messed up my computer monitor speakers at all. Haven't run it much on AM yet. Putting it in my '08 Honda CRV in a few more days and see if the noise claims are true.

Robb,

I will definitely stay "tuned in" to see what your results are when you do the install in the CRV ! Hopefully , you can teach me something about installing & reducing my excessive noise levels of the 257 in my MO-BEEL .

magnum 257

I had one but sold it, the NB was not worth a nickel, and as one stated in the mobile it was worse. I also had the xmit bar not show a few times and then it quit, but it did work, I had sent it to the factory and they said it was fixed, so it worked off/on when I got it back, hope they left the NB off of it it was for decoration.

DOCTOR/795

There is no more/less noise in this radio as a base than using a Galaxy 99V, Cobra 148GTL, OmegaForce, or Grant XL. Furthermore, the receive is outstanding and better or equal to my ear compared to all radios previously listed. I've been switching/comparing all of these together the last 24 hours. I'm seeing about 50-60 watts on SSB. Nice thing here is, this radio hasn't even messed up my computer monitor speakers at all. Haven't run it much on AM yet. Putting it in my '08 Honda CRV in a few more days and see if the noise claims are true.

you need to re-read my posts. i AGREED that it has an EXCELLENT receiver. AS A BASE. i wouldn't say it rivals my XL in ANY way, shape or form. in fact the XL IS quieter AND hears things the 257/omega just can't quite get. BUT it IS close!
in the mobile-ANY MOBILE-it flat out SUCKS. i've had people tell me it ISN'T noisy in their mobile, then listened to it myself.....i suppose it WASN'T noisy to them when compared to the junk they previously ran. IT IS NOISY. and i SHOWED them what quiet is....they agreed it's noisy.
i will admit, if i'm literally in the boondocks & there is NOTHING to generate RF hash; lights, wires, poles, buildings with AC power, then it IS quiet. add ANYTHING that can generate RF hash & this radio receives it. maybe that is just how good the receiver is?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated