• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ronson UV-8r: same as Baofeng UV-5r?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I noticed that 409shop has new HT that looks identical to the Baofeng UV-5r, but is branded as a Ronson UV-7r. The box of the Ronson says that it is a 7 watt radio, but all of the specs on 409shop are the same as the UV-5r. I'm guessing that these are identical radios and the box is a misprint. Does anyone have any different info?

Reactions: 1 person

Sure they the got the name right?
Maybe someone told them to call it a 'Johnson' - lol.

Didn't read where they said it did 7 watts. Wouldn't make much difference anyway if it did. If it is just the same radio that has been re-branded - like the TYT is - then what they hey? Y'know?

Since the battery is the real limiting factor in the radio's output and the largest LiOn battery available is 1800mah@7.4v; then providing a step down power supply using an 13.8 source would make it more stable in an automotive environment than it already is. I have zero problems hooking up with most repeaters in the Bay Area (including the N Bay Area) with just 1 1/2 watts and a mobile antenna. But if that could be made to do a solid 5 watts or more continuously (with a better power supply); then that may prove to make this radio unstoppable. That - and re-flashing the firmware/bios to something better too.

Last edited:
and re-flashing the firmware/bios to something better too.

That is the biggest thing that would improve this radio. If they would get rid of some of the quirks in the firmware, it would be a winner.

The Baofeng UV-5R is down a couple of bucks and half in 409shop...

- to get rid of overstock due to no debbuging on the way
- new revised version to be released
- other cheap 5W brand competitor soon
- none of above

Regards!

AJ

That is the biggest thing that would improve this radio. If they would get rid of some of the quirks in the firmware, it would be a winner.

It would be nice.

I have owned countless HT's over the years. I don't know why I do because I seem to never use them, so I end up selling or trading them off.

For some reason, I really like this little HT and have been using it more than any other. I think the MIL-SPEC look turns me on.

The 7 Watts mentioned on the box can only be achieved if you add up the maximum output on VHF (4 Watts) and UHF (3 Watts). ;)

Hahaha. That's it for sure...clever marketing.

At least most HAMS won't butcher the name "Ronson".

I like hearing all the different pronunciations of the current lot of Chinese HT's.

A cute little Chinese girl that works in a local restaurant that I frequent, says the "W" in Wouxun should not be there. She still pronounced it as "O shin".

Let's see they have very poor adjacent channel rejection for starters most are off frequency out of the box..... You get what you pay for.....

New Ronson UV-8r: same as Baofeng UV-5r?

I bought a Baofeng UV-r5 a month or so ago and am very pleased with it. I got the programming cable a use Chirp programming software with it ans my Yaesu 857d. My opinion on the UV-5r is it is an excellent radio, I use it by itself with rubber ducky antenna or connected to a magnet roof mount 144 and 440 antenna or connected to my beam when I am hooked to my dialysis machine. I don't have any complaints works fine for 60 bucks to me..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated