• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New (To Me) TS-830S

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I have wanted a TS-830S for some time now, and came across a good deal that I could pick up in person. I got to check the rig out at the owner's house, got it home, cleaned it up a bit, and she's working 100% on all bands. Wow, the receiver in this thing is great! Everything I've always heard about them is true. :) This one came with the 2.7 kHz filter, and an optional CW filter. Not a "10", but I sure do like it!

Brett

I really enjoy the receive on my TS 830 also, can listen to it and never get tired, no white noise in that wonderful receiver.

Reactions: 2RT307
Congrats on the fine radio. I have the TS-820S and the TS-520S but would like to get a TS-830S to complete the line and to have the WARC bands in a classic radio. I have a modern Yaesu which covers the WARC bands but the classic hybrids sound SO much better and they have great receivers.

Reactions: 2RT307 and Mudfoot
I was receiving reports that my audio was "tinny" and too high pitched with no bass. Found a tip on the internet at this awesome site:
http://www.k4eaa.com/
Trimmers are adjustable from the bottom of the rig, and by using the calibrator, I was able to get my audio sounding like a TS-830 should. :) Really loving this rig!

Brett

I didn't check that link but I had the same issue with my 820. It was the IF circuit in the speech processor that was out of alignment. A little tweak of a trimmer cap and all was well again.

Reactions: 2RT307
None of my hybrids really make any heat, the FT 102 does have a slightly warmer air coming out of the exhaust fan but it has three 6146 for finals.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
None of my hybrids really make any heat, the FT 102 does have a slightly warmer air coming out of the exhaust fan but it has three 6146 for finals.
Oh man, you've got a 102??? I am afraid that one may be on my list, too. Do you have any pics? Sweet rigs!

Brett

The FT-102 are great rigs...IF they have been worked over correctly or MALCOMIZED recently!
Lots of RELAY issues and some parts are unavailable now
They can be problematic!
But love those Triple 6146B's...
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.