• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie looking for antenna recommendation.

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
So I am getting ready to pick up a mobile duel band Kenwood and I am going to need two antennas. One for my vehicle and the other for the shack. I am mostly concerned with the mobile antenna currently however. So there are so many brands of antennas that cover both 2m and 70cm how do I know which brand to purchase? Is there a go-to brand that people use or is it a Ford vs Chevy thing? I understand that a larger antenna will allow for better performance but how large is reasonable on my Honda? What should a good antenna cost? Pardon all the questions. I am working on my learning curve. :blush:

Well, I went with a Comet SSb-7 to use on my Honda. The guy at Universal said it would provide great results. *Shrugs* Still looking for something for the house though....

I guess one question is how much are you willing to spend for a base dual-band antenna? And then just how 'much' performance are you looking for (what's around you fairly close and then further away)?
Whatever you select, getting it higher will definitely make a difference, more than you might think. It doesn't much matter which antenna it is, it will always benefit from more height.
For omnidirectional dual band antennas start thinking in terms of how many elements they have in a vertical array. When you get to something like 3 or 4 on 2 meters, that's getting to be about the 'average' for a higher gain type antenna. On 70 Cm, figure on maybe twice that many maybe. I've had good luck with the Comet 'GP' series of dual-band antennas. They aren't cheap though.
I don't know of many who only (get and stay with) just one antenna. So, why not the 'biggest' you can to start with and not have to go through all those 'other' ones?
Have fun.
- 'Doc

My Comet GP-9 dual bander for the house has worked Excellent for years (only Diamond has a slightly better version )

But yes it comes down to the money you are willing to spend on it

Me too

I am in the same situation. I have decided on the following pairs either:

Comet GP9 & CSB-770A
or
diamond x7000 & SG-7700.

Any input appreciated.

I just got in one of SAL Electronics 2m/440 groundplane base antennas to play with. It's basically an Opek mobile antenna that he's fabricated a groundplane mount for. For typical, every day usage, this will work great and the price is cheap. If you need / want something with more gain, the other options mentioned are certainly worth considering.

duel band antenna mobile

So I am getting ready to pick up a mobile duel band Kenwood and I am going to need two antennas. One for my vehicle and the other for the shack. I am mostly concerned with the mobile antenna currently however. So there are so many brands of antennas that cover both 2m and 70cm how do I know which brand to purchase? Is there a go-to brand that people use or is it a Ford vs Chevy thing? I understand that a larger antenna will allow for better performance but how large is reasonable on my Honda? What should a good antenna cost? Pardon all the questions. I am working on my learning curve. :blush:

this is what i am using-this is a duel band and tuning wasn't even necessary.-Maldol Esceed series- model# EX107 with a comet base # RS 730 --have had it for about 2 years and very satisfied .. you will have to check your local store or on line for prices. the type of car isnt nec. this is a universal unit. good luck WD4FCJ-Richard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.