• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not Sure What to Do Buy a AT6666 or buy i heater.

CrazyD

Sep 25, 2012
Houston Texas
well i was thinking of getting a anytone 6666 because it has about 60+ watts out on SSB but i already have a AT5555 so here it is should i buy a 200 watt heater for the at5555 or buy a AT6666 the AT5555 is a V6 so its current but low power out.

If you want to make an improvement people will notice go with a small amplifier. Changing from a 30 watt radio to a 60 watt radio will give you 1/2 an S unit. A nice 200-250 watt amplifier would be nice for you.

Reactions: CrazyD
KL203 will get you 100+ SSB for under $70. A lot cheaper and more power than buying a radio that isn't much different than the one you already have. Heater all the way.

Reactions: CrazyD and CB590
KL203 will get you 100+ SSB for under $70. A lot cheaper and more power than buying a radio that isn't much different than the one you already have. Heater all the way.
Just be sure that you do not dead key more than 2 watts into the KL-203 and don't swing more than 5 watts. KL-203 amps are cheap and as long as you don't overdrive it they work fine.

Reactions: CB590
sounds good to me i think i might get a 300 watt then half what the supply can produce and use my old 12amp power supply on the radio

On a base 250-350 watts is plenty. Beyond that if you want a big improvement work on your antenna system. I'd rather run a KL203 off an IMAX at say 80 feet then a 600 watt amp at 20 feet.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
On a base 250-350 watts is plenty. Beyond that if you want a big improvement work on your antenna system. I'd rather run a KL203 off an IMAX at say 80 feet then a 600 watt amp at 20 feet.
i have some big trees but i use a A99 i would love to get a IMAX but not sure if its worth upgrading.

First of all call it a linear amplifier or rf or hf amp buy it's name calling it anything else just sounds ignorant like calling a transistor a pill. It is like giving cute names to legitimate body parts over using the medically correct intelligent name or calling diabetes "a touch of sugar" etc.....!! This is 2018 not 1918.

Let's stamp out ignorance from this hobby.

Why would you buy another radio if what you really want is more power? If you need more light in a room after the sun has set you do not buy new curtains instead of a more power light bulb do you?

So if you want more power how is that goal best achieved? Answer: With amplification of your existing radio!.

The only reason to buy a new radio is to replace one that is stolen, broken or does not offer freq. coverage or mode of operation you desire.

The difference in output power between the AT-5555 and the AT-6666 is not significant enough to warrant purchasing if you main goal is more power!

Biggest bang for the buck is the first 100 watts especially on a base and that is easy to power as well. The next big improvement is 600 watts.

I like to purchase an amp that has a minimum of 2X the RMS power I am looking to put out. Then I adjust it for an rms setting of 1/2 of it's full rms output. So if I wanted to have 100w of output I would purchase an amp that could do at least 200W rms then I would under drive that unit.

When looking at a base amp the amp is the easy part and the cheap part the more important thing to keep in mind is feeding it! You need to have plenty of amperage on hand to feed your 12V-14V amp. When you start to get into 1X2 or 1x4 and up the current demand can get expensive quickly so you have to look at power supply price at the same time as the amp price!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
"First of all call it a linear amplifier"
Most CB class amps are no where near linear.

"First of all call it a linear amplifier"
Most CB class amps are no where near linear.
This is true most of them are not linear because of how they are biasing them and the terrible input output design. That said it is sure as heck in not a heater either. I also put forward other names like hf amp or rf amp as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated