• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opek HVT-400B... any good?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I'm considering one of these antennas for my mobile, as I plan to retire my IC-718 from "shack" status and putting it in my F-150. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge into screwdriver antennas, and think Hamsticks would be a little cumbersome. Have any of you guys tried the Opek HVT-400B? Seems like a decent option for the money, and I plan on running an LDG Z-11 Pro with it. Thoughts, opinions, and BTDT input (been there, done that) much appreciated!

Brett

No, I haven't tried one, but I'm sure you can have some fun with it. After looking at the specs and pics online, I can tell that it will perform about the same as a hamstick. The advantage with this antenna is that you just have to change the taps to change bands, instead of removing the whole antenna.

It certainly won't be the most efficient antenna in the world, but if your expectations are inline, it might offer a lot of fun. Don't run an amp into it since it will only handle 150 watts.

Reactions: 2RT307
No, I haven't tried one, but I'm sure you can have some fun with it. After looking at the specs and pics online, I can tell that it will perform about the same as a hamstick. The advantage with this antenna is that you just have to change the taps to change bands, instead of removing the whole antenna.

It certainly won't be the most efficient antenna in the world, but if your expectations are inline, it might offer a lot of fun. Don't run an amp into it since it will only handle 150 watts.

Brett: They're not the worst antenna (having had one)....but you must get them up above the cab to really make them play. I had mine mounted with a "stack rail" mount (not so good)....Moved it up to the lid of the bed mounted toolbox on a mount that got most of the coil above the cab....BIG difference!
See bold text from Mole....Don't talk long without moving....Why? Mine MELTED, 100 watts while sitting in the parking lot a work, working 75m one morning....:ROFLMAO:
Went with Yaesu ATAS-120a next...(pretty damn nice)20m and above...40m- so so but worked mounted same as the Opeck
Screwdriver if you spend that much time mobile...Only way to go....
Hustler's work well also with 3 band adaptors...(again get them UP) so they just miss the bridges:whistle:
AND REMEMBER NO DRIVE THROUGH's....there's another story:confused::rolleyes:
See KJ7U Larry's antennas...built like a tank! When your ready to REALLY get with it mobile...
All the Best
Gary

Brett: They're not the worst antenna (having had one)....but you must get them up above the cab to really make them play. I had mine mounted with a "stack rail" mount (not so good)....Moved it up to the lid of the bed mounted toolbox on a mount that got most of the coil above the cab....BIG difference!
See bold text from Mole....Don't talk long without moving....Why? Mine MELTED, 100 watts while sitting in the parking lot a work, working 75m one morning....:ROFLMAO:
Went with Yaesu ATAS-120a next...(pretty damn nice)20m and above...40m- so so but worked mounted same as the Opeck
Screwdriver if you spend that much time mobile...Only way to go....
Hustler's work well also with 3 band adaptors...(again get them UP) so they just miss the bridges:whistle:
AND REMEMBER NO DRIVE THROUGH's....there's another story:confused::rolleyes:
See KJ7U Larry's antennas...built like a tank! When your ready to REALLY get with it mobile...
All the Best
Gary

Thanks, Gary. I just want to try one and see how it will do. For the price, it's certainly do-able. Plan on running barefoot on 40 and 20.

Thought about the Hustler, and still may for a single bander. Easy enough to adapt to my current mount/coax. But for multiband, that thing is humongous and you have to "guy" it (I've seen them flapping in the breeze on the highways down here). Screwdriver is pretty sweet, but wanted to start out with baby-steps to see if I even enjoy Hamming on something other than 10 meters. I looked at the Little Tarheel and one that Ratso recommended. I'll also look at the KJ7U one... thanks for the tip.

Brett

They are one of the lossiest antennas out there but your signal will get out somewhat. Personally I would go with a 20 meter hamstick and your tuner. I ran a 17 meter HS and LDG tuner for a while in the car and although not he best it did work. I was able to check into mid cars on 40 with it.

They are one of the lossiest antennas out there but your signal will get out somewhat. Personally I would go with a 20 meter hamstick and your tuner. I ran a 17 meter HS and LDG tuner for a while in the car and although not he best it did work. I was able to check into mid cars on 40 with it.

Saw your sig and was checking out High Sierra's deal of the day... too funny :LOL:

http://www.hamcq.com/2-meter-vhf-5-8-wave-nmo-antenna-clone.html

Now that's a REAL screwdriver antenna!

Brett

That's funny!

Brett,
All I am trying to point out is between the antenna you mentioned an a HS with a ttuner they both are going to do about the same but theHS is going to cot you a lot less.

When I switched to the screwdriver the performance was about the same on 20 meters and below but on 40 the SD really shined and got even better when I replaced the the stock whip with a 72" one.

Last edited:
That's funny!

Brett,
All I am trying to point out is between the antenna you mentioned an a HS with a ttuner they both are going to do about the same but theHS is going to cot you a lot less.

When I switched to the screwdriver the performance was about the same on 20 meters and below but on 40 the SD really shined and got even better when I replaced the the stock whip with a 72" one.

Hmmm... now I'm tempted to try the 102" whip that I have with the tuner. I have heard of guys doing this without any real issues. Wonder if it would do just as well as a hamstick or the Opek?

Found some interesting reading:
http://www.k0bg.com/myths.html

Brett

You guys are killin' me. :LOL: Yeah, I get it... the higher the frequency the lower the band, and the higher the band (meter) the lower the frequency. :)

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.